Union or Non-Union Career?

PT Car Washer

In reality most guys that bid into Feeders have at least 15 years in package cars and another 5 years PT. Carry all their FT seniority with them and their company time for vacations. Compare that to an off the street Feeder hire who is on call for 5 or 10 years.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If no one inside the company is qualified the company has to hire from the outside. You don't just get the job by seniority alone. You have to be qualified. Would you hire a high seniority smalls sorter who bid on a mechanics job solely because she had seniority?
But UPS is hiring a FT package driver just by seniority. He is not qualified. He gets trained. He gets the job by seniority alone. The highest senior FT employee with 1 year UPS safe driving.

In the Central, you have to have 1 year UPS safe driving to attend feeder school. If no one with 1 year UPS safe driving signs up, then they can hire from the outside. Depending on where your center is on the 6 for 1, UPS could then be violating this section of the contract.

So, do they violate the 6 for 1, or do they violate the 1 year safe driving? With the agreement of the local union, in order to abide by the 6 for 1, UPS can then open the feeder school bid to the whole building, PT and FT, and waive the 1 year safe driving. This would then keep them in the 6 for 1 ratio. It has been done.

It has also been done that UPS opened feeder bids to the whole district, on a one time basis, to fill needed feeder jobs.

I would rather see a job go to a UPS employee interested in doing the job before they hired someone off the street to fill the job.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It amazes me how young people never learn how to drive a stick shift.

Maybe if there was an app for it...

BrownArmy

I offered to teach my younger brother to drive stick several years ago.

He seemed confused, and asked me, "Why?", as in, why would he need to learn to drive stick.

I told him it was a hell of a lot more interesting than driving an automatic, and when his next girlfriend had a manual trans he would look like an idiot if he couldn't drive it.

He simply didn't care.