Union Politics - UPS Pilots Union has called for a strike vote!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
obama will not allow a strike. the only way the pilots have a chance is only the rest of UPS employees stand with them.

most of my co workers cant go a week without a paycheck and the co. knows this.

it dont look good.
Your coworkers?

You find a new job? You're retired right?

MAKAVELI

Reagan dropped the hammer in the early '80s. Our skies are much more crowded now. No way Obama or whomever is in the WH would allow an ATC strike.
He probably wouldn't allow an ATC strike, but I highly doubt he would fire every single controller. Obama is much more diplomatic in that regard.

oldupsman

According to the UPS press release, Hoffa said the drivers would join the pilots on the picket line.
There's no doubt in my mind that will never happen because, 1) Hoffa doesn't have the balls to do it
and 2) the drivers don't have the balls to do it. So many of those guys live paycheck to paycheck it's sad.

salt

why the hell wouldn't you stand by our pilots.... me as a non top scale driver living pay check to pay check would stand and fight with any one taking on the greed machine that is the UPS corporation... and if you don't live pay check to pay check you have no :censored2:ing excuse but to support them and if you refuse to do so maybe you should find a nice non union job at fed ex. :censored2:ing makes me sick.

EasyTrucker

why the hell wouldn't you stand by our pilots.... me as a non top scale driver living pay check to pay check would stand and fight with any one taking on the greed machine that is the UPS corporation... and if you don't live pay check to pay check you have no :censored2:ing excuse but to support them and if you refuse to do so maybe you should find a nice non union job at fed ex. :censored2:ing makes me sick.
Exactly!

After about a three day strike ups would probably give the pilots what they want. I wonder what some of the sticking points are?

rod

Retired 22 years
Why is everybody living pay check to pay check? PT I can understand (if they aren't living at home in the basement) but the majority of UPS'ers shouldn't be living PC to PC.

10 point

After about a three day strike ups would probably give the pilots what they want. I wonder what some of the sticking points are?
It was reported that the No.1 sticking point was more time off between flights to combat fatigue. The same issue FDX fought and won. Reportedly.

10 point

If you click on Cheryl's link in the Latest Headlines Forum (Friday's post) the story by Laura Stevens tells what the issues are.

AllOnTheHorses

I know that the chance of a strike is pretty low.. but what happens if there is one? I have heard the term, "strike pay" (somewhere) .. is that applicable to this situation? For who?

oldandcrabby

"Final Offer". Just like in 97. That's kinda funny. Seems like there was another one shortly after that. And I remember sitting in a meeting with Ron Carey in Louisville, the Pilot's representatives were there, and were 100% backing us if we walked. If they walk, I will bring them sandwiches and drinks while they are on the line. Being retired, I have plenty of time. And they supported our cause.

This stay at home Mom will do the same. I will make the time to offer my support.

UPSmechanicinblue

If there was a strike called how far can the pilots extend the picket lines? Example the air ports where they fly the air in for the centers to pick up for delivery. All we can do is we can do is honor them and not cross the picket line-I'm sure supervisors etc will drive the vehicles through them.

Ms.PacMan

It was reported that the No.1 sticking point was more time off between flights to combat fatigue. The same issue FDX fought and won. Reportedly.
I'm not sure UPS is going to want to give on this issue given they are in the midst of lawsuits from the IPA and the husband of the 1st officer from flight 1354 that crashed in Birmingham, both plaintiffs citing fatigue as the cause of the accident.