Union retirees: Don't cut my pension --- Good Read

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ask Hoffa and Hall how letting UPS, the last viable "cash cow", out of the Central States Pension Fund was a solid move to sure up the fund for the future?
How is that working out?

When it's all said and done, it may have saved my pension, but killed my union.

Seriously?

UPS took care of their own and you are upset?

I wish the company would do the same here in Upstate NY.

brett636

Without the luxury of hindsight, how is it irresponsible to plan your retirement around a promised pension benefit?
Where does this mindset end?

http://cashmoneylife.com/can-the-us-government-seize-your-401k-or-ira/

To plan your entire retirement around just your promised pension benefits is irresponsible because you are betting on other people to be honest and trustworthy when it comes to a huge pile of money that is supposed to keep your comfortable in your twilight years. As the article stated one the biggest proponents of this pension change was a large teamster pension fund. The very people who offered this highly regarded benefit as a security blanket for your retirement years are the same ones lobbying to take it away. I am simply saying rely on yourself first and hope others come through, but if you reach those golden years and something like this happens to you when you had no plan B don't expect people like me to be very sympathetic to your misfortunes. They have made their bed, and now that they get to sleep in it they want others to feel sorry for them.

Its the Rush Limbaugh way of life. Me rich guy promises you this but just before it happens I'm gonna pull it. Then tell you it's your responsibility to take care of yourself when supposedly it was part of my salary package.

I am not seeing where Rush Limbaugh fits into this discussion at all. Why do you find personal responsibility such a reprehensible idea?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would be lying if I said that my pension was not a big part of my retirement planning and that a significant reduction or even elimination would force me to adjust my plans, to include the possibility of having to go back to work.

rod

Retired 22 years
Even though I prepare for the worst, I don't assume it will happen.

You can stick your head in the sand all you want but the sad fact is is that Unions are dinosaurs. You can't maintain a strong union without people sticking together and that went out the door 10 or 20 years ago. The last contract vote and an overwhelming yes responce on the first offer is proof of that.

By The Book

Seriously?

If ups were to buy their way out of their pension obligation in your pension plan would your statement have anything to do with what your guaranteed under a non multiemployer plan if it becomes insolvent?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Working class people of the once blue state keep showing up in droves to keep him in office despite the millions spent to smear his character. Public sector unions that operate like the ones Walker has been elected over & over again to reform are ones that give unions a bad name.
I believe Wisconsin is still a blue state. Take away the district gerrymandering and you would see a much different state government.
Would bet you a paycheck that Johnson is voted out of the Senate and the Democratic nominee for president wins Wisconsin in 2018.
Walker went after most public sector unions but chose not to pick that battle with the police and firefighters.

upschuck

You can stick your head in the sand all you want but the sad fact is is that Unions are dinosaurs.
I hope I never have to work for a non-union UPS.
You can't maintain a strong union without people sticking together and that went out the door 10 or 20 years ago. The last contract vote and an overwhelming yes responce on the first offer is proof of that.
I agree

By The Book

You can stick your head in the sand all you want but the sad fact is is that Unions are dinosaurs. You can't maintain a strong union without people sticking together and that went out the door 10 or 20 years ago. The last contract vote and an overwhelming yes responce on the first offer is proof of that.
I agree that the union(ibt) needs to find a way to get members involved. They should have a plan in place to train the locals,ba's,stewards so they are all on the same page. There is a disconnect and if it continues there will be a continuing trend towards as long as I'm good that's all that matters. The locals can't keep collecting dues just to keep their heads above water and expect to not have to get their hands dirty and enforce the language in our contracts.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Seriously?

I am absolutely serious, because I think of more than myself.
Teamsters have fought, toiled and suffered for more than a century for us to have what we are losing today, my grandfather was one of them.
I would be doing them a disservice to sit back and just look out for myself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am absolutely serious, because I think of more than myself.
Teamsters have fought, toiled and suffered for more than a century for us to have what we are losing today, my grandfather was one of them.
I would be doing them a disservice to sit back and just look out for myself.

So I should take a pay cut because Yellow doesn't know how to run their operation?

Atomic_Smurf

We all know public sector unions were just the starting point. You represent labor. Your costs are high. Walker, the Koch brothers and just about every elected official (along with UPS management) has declared war on your future.
No we don't "all know public sector unions were just the starting point", nor is their any evidence of that. No one has done more to hurt unions, earned benefits & solidarity that the current propagandists occupying leadership positions that are driving you crazy with hate speeches about the Koch bros, Walker & others.

Atomic_Smurf

Its the Rush Limbaugh way of life. Me rich guy promises you this but just before it happens I'm gonna pull it. Then tell you it's your responsibility to take care of yourself when supposedly it was part of my salary package.
Don't see your analogy to Rush here making any sense whatsoever. Doubt you really do either.