Union retirees: Don't cut my pension --- Good Read

rod

Retired 22 years
hey Rod, I read somewhere that if a current retiree is over 70 or disabled(whatever that means) that the current benefit would not be cut. I don't know if that is true or not, and I hate to ask , but are you over 70?

Nope--66

rod

Retired 22 years
If your contribution to your pension came from Yellow, then yes, you have to take a pension hit.
Yellow has PASSED 2 union contraces where the teamsters accepted Yellow not having to pay any pension contributions.
Like I keep saying, there are consequences for your actions. They could have fought for pension contributions, but CHOSE to accept no pension contributions. So you will take a cut in pension benefits if I had my way.

I don't imagine hardly anyone else can remember that far back but the UPS contracts (every 3 years) were more or less just a rubber stamp of what the big union trucking companies negotiated. We always got what the Master Freight contract settled on and they were negotiated by firms like Yellow Freight. I still remember the first strike I was involved with when a Yellow Freight semi pulled up and the driver got out and handed us a hundred dollar bill and said put that in your strike fund guys. (yes it did go for beer)

PT Car Washer

I don't imagine hardly anyone else can remember that far back but the UPS contracts (every 3 years) were more or less just a rubber stamp of what the big union trucking companies negotiated. We always got what the Master Freight contract settled on and they were negotiated by firms like Yellow Freight. I still remember the first strike I was involved with when a Yellow Freight semi pulled up and the driver got out and handed us a hundred dollar bill and said put that in your strike fund guys. (yes it did go for beer)
That was before Reagan deregulated the trucking industry for increased competition and cheaper rates. Cheaper wages and more profits for the carriers.

PT Car Washer

Most times increased Wall Street profits does not "trickle down" to working Americans. We UPSers have been very fortunate in comparison to other American workers. Not sure how much longer we will have it so well. Our retirees are just now starting to feel the pressure. Kind of the "canary in the coal mine".

RealPerson

No. I have problems wit a week union that let's it happen and with seemingly blind union members thinking Walker and his ilk were going to stop at public unions.

Not sure how Week the Union was on $$$ for health and pension fund. I believe this is the Biggest raise Ever. $1 an HOUR per PERSON per YEAR. If I remember right, UPS will be paying $22 an Hour per person by the end of the contract....
If I am wrong someone correct me.....
Plus the locals that gave up raises, OUCH....

Oh my bad, seen you were talking about the new regulations.. But still....

bbsam

Staff member
You are non-union. Stop trying to tell us union guys how we run our union, our pensions and which political party to support. You lost your say when you chose to leave the union. Some would even call you a scab.
Run your union? Oh, no. I wouldn't tell you how to do that. I might point out that it's under assault (because it is). And I might suggest that it is under assault by government and business. What you and your union brothers are going to do about it, well that is quite another issue. Maybe stick your head in the sand and call me a scab. Much the same as when you call me a troll. Why would I care? I happen to be right.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
hey Rod, I read somewhere that if a current retiree is over 70 or disabled(whatever that means) that the current benefit would not be cut. I don't know if that is true or not, and I hate to ask , but are you over 70?
From the article by OP:
Benefits also cannot be cut for those with disability pensions or those who are 80 years and older, while cuts must be less severe for those between 75 and 80.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From the OP article:
Retired trucking industry worker Kirby Cabrera, 62, is trying to stay positive. He already faces thousands of dollars in medical bills each year as he battles injuries from his years of working on the truck loading docks. Two years ago, he had one knee replaced. In a few weeks, he's going in to have the other one replaced.

I hope he has applied for Social Security Disability.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Run your union? Oh, no. I wouldn't tell you how to do that. I might point out that it's under assault (because it is). And I might suggest that it is under assault by government and business. What you and your union brothers are going to do about it, well that is quite another issue. Maybe stick your head in the sand and call me a scab. Much the same as when you call me a troll. Why would I care? I happen to be right.
Again, it's our union, not yours. You are non union. Stay our of our union affairs. You gave up that right when you went to purple.
By the way, why would you leave brown to go to a lower paying job?

bbsam

Staff member
Again, it's our union, not yours. You are non union. Stay our of our union affairs. You gave up that right when you went to purple.
This isn't a union meeting. This isn't a UPS or a Teamster's website. My opinion happens to be as valid as yours. You are free to ignore it as you wish.

upschuck

I believe he owns several routes, and doing pretty good.

realbrown1

This isn't a union meeting. This isn't a UPS or a Teamster's website. My opinion happens to be as valid as yours. You are free to ignore it as you wish.
The unions will take the path that the people in the union will choose to take.
Not the direction people who left the union want it to take.
You have no say, but on this forum. Even still, that say is tempered against the fact that WE KNOW YOU LEFT THE UNION.

realbrown1

I believe he owns several routes, and doing pretty good.
I know several Fed Ex ground contractors. They all say the same thing. They are making less now than they did 5 years ago.
That being said, it probably still a better working environment than a lot of UPS centers.
But I hope we can put a damper on his and all future purple success.

realbrown1

You don't see the hypocrisy of telling us unionist which direction we should take?