Union rips off Part-Timers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It seems to me the P/T get absolutely screwed by the Union and the Union does nothing but give away everything related to the part-timers to take care of the Full-timers.

Which might be okay but then the P/T get ripped off for Initiation Fee ~$400) and monthly dues (~$35) for nothing.

As a Part-timer, do you feel like you get your money's worth?

Also, please feel in the blanks to correct or give perspective to my observations.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I don't know what you mean. As a p/t employee they stand up for us on a daily basis. I think its almost impossible for management to fire us.
I do feel p/t get screwed during contract negotiations.
When i was hired my initiation fee was 100$. right now i pay 41$ a month in dues. For all my money I have gotten 1 t shirt in 7 years (and still have a job)

jimstud

Banned
- Don't believe anything you hear or read unless you already know it to be true.
Pay no attention to what people say...observe their actions and above all else remember, "It is what it is". :funny: especially when it comes from a suit

Catatonic

Nine Lives
- Don't believe anything you hear or read unless you already know it to be true.
Pay no attention to what people say...observe their actions and above all else remember, "It is what it is". :funny: especially when it comes from a suit

Good advise ... almost like something I would say except I would say from "anybody". Especially if that person thinks he's a "stud". :funny:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Last time I checked, the union had to negotiate with the company. But I'm sure if the union really cared about the part timers, why, they would just have to ask for whatever wages and benefits they want and the company would no doubt agree because they care so much about the part timers themselves. Yup, it's all the fault of the union.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Last time I checked, the union had to negotiate with the company. But I'm sure if the union really cared about the part timers, why, they would just have to ask for whatever wages and benefits they want and the company would no doubt agree because they care so much about the part timers themselves. Yup, it's all the fault of the union.

Nice twist and attempt at deflection ... I agree that the Union is giving the company what they want in regards to part-timers. There is a pot of money that the company goes into contract negotiations with and my point is that the Union's efforts (or at least the results = contract) reflect a conscious effort to protect and provide for Full-timers at the expense of Part-timers.

It seems ironic that the Union which proposes to be about taking care of the collective actually taxes (Fees, Dues) a higher percentage on the group that has the least. I guess the Union and it's Full-timer members are just greedy oppressors of those with the least.

Absolutely SHAMEFUL and a total lack of INTEGRITY.

That was fun - now I know how 555, sober, jones and all the other ranters feel. :peaceful:

raceanoncr

I yawn when I hear p/ters, friend/ters, anyone, whine about how they got screwed during negotiations and final agreements. Why? I'm not gonna argue here again whether ANYBODY got bruised then or in the future.

I've said this before in other threads and post, that I go to just about every possible meeting, be it general, proposal, grievance, whatever. How many friend/ters have I seen there? How many P/Ters have I seen there? At any given meeting, there (out of nearly 500 employed here in various positions) is only a handful present. In fact, for the UPS part of the meetings, we could probably hold it at the local Village Inn.

Example:

For the last contract, here, again I say HERE, there were a series of proposal meetings, some for p/ters, some for friend/ters. Due to sleeper schedule, I was only able to attend one. There were five (5) people there! Two (2) were union BAs, three (3) were friend/ters, all feeder drivers! I heard other meetings were similar-little to no attendance!

Also, how many actually VOTED on the contract? Oh, now everybody will say, "I did and I voted NO!" Yeah, right! I don't have figures in front of me but it wouldn't take much to get them, but a 20% participation rate sticks in my head for the last vote.

My point? If you were at those meetings, if you voted your choice and you still feel you got screwed, then I feel you have a valid bitch. I you DIDN'T go and DIDN'T vote, then, well, quite frankly, I'd like to say, "Shutup"!

brownrodster

I don't think it's just the union that is ripping off the part timers. I think both UPS and the union are tag team partners in the rip off. The unioin turns it's head while UPS bends those poor part timers over.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Nice twist and attempt at deflection ... I agree that the Union is giving the company what they want in regards to part-timers. There is a pot of money that the company goes into contract negotiations with and my point is that the Union's efforts (or at least the results = contract) reflect a conscious effort to protect and provide for Full-timers at the expense of Part-timers.

It seems ironic that the Union which proposes to be about taking care of the collective actually taxes (Fees, Dues) a higher percentage on the group that has the least. I guess the Union and it's Full-timer members are just greedy oppressors of those with the least.

Absolutely SHAMEFUL and a total lack of INTEGRITY.

That was fun - now I know how 555, sober, jones and all the other ranters feel. :peaceful:
Hoax the wages covered under the contract are a minimum. The company at any time can increase the wages, so instead of posting on here maybe you should write a letter to Scott Davis.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax the wages covered under the contract are a minimum. The company at any time can increase the wages, so instead of posting on here maybe you should write a letter to Scott Davis.

That's okay .. at least I know I'll get a response on here and this is a lot more fun. :devil3:

And the minimum is your interpretation ... I have a feeling the company's interpretation is it's the maximum. Have to be careful to not set any precedence's for the Union to grieve on. :wink2:

some1else

Banned
this issue of poor consideration of pt (which there is) isnt even the issue. the real issue is that in the larger buildings almost all these "pt" shifts could be combo'd easily into 8 hour shifts. i know in my building they could combine 50%+ pt shifts into consecutive 8s but wont/dont because the union wont fight for it.

yes alot of people only want PT, but let those guys see what they would make FT inside/inside and they would change their mind.

so not only are the PT getting screwed in comparision to FT, but they are also getting screwed out of FT positions as well!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
this issue of poor consideration of pt (which there is) isnt even the issue. the real issue is that in the larger buildings almost all these "pt" shifts could be combo'd easily into 8 hour shifts. i know in my building they could combine 50%+ pt shifts into consecutive 8s but wont/dont because the union wont fight for it.

yes alot of people only want PT, but let those guys see what they would make FT inside/inside and they would change their mind.

so not only are the PT getting screwed in comparison to FT, but they are also getting screwed out of FT positions as well!
There is only a certain amount of money for the union contract. If those positions were made full-time and with friend/T wages instead of Part-timers at part-time wages, the driver's pay would have to be reduced to compensate.

705red

Browncafe Steward
That's okay .. at least I know I'll get a response on here and this is a lot more fun. :devil3:

And the minimum is your interpretation ... I have a feeling the company's interpretation is it's the maximum. Have to be careful to not set any precedence's for the Union to grieve on. :wink2:
You just gave me an idea, imagine if we came out with a contract book that management could read and understand and in doing so the contract would no longer be violated?!

We could call it the ups contract for dummies!:happy-very:

some1else

Banned
There is only a certain amount of money for the union contract. If those positions were made full-time and with friend/T wages instead of Part-timers at part-time wages, the driver's pay would have to be reduced to compensate.
i understand why they want ft work to be split into two pt shifts; however i dont understand why the union puts up with it.

OH YA WAIT

Which might be okay but then the P/T get ripped off for Initiation Fee ~$400) and monthly dues (~$35) for nothing.
so you have the 2 PT's instead of 1 FT paying dues and fees. in addition the average length of service for these part times are alot shorter so they get extra init fees and the company isnt paying benies for under 1 year.

like i said earlier they really are hosing PT, most of all by not making the work that should be FT, be FULL TIME!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
so you have the 2 PT's instead of 1 FT paying dues and fees. in addition the average length of service for these part times are alot shorter so they get extra init fees and the company isnt paying benies for under 1 year.

Don't forget Retirement Benefits that are never paid out either ... what a SCAM!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You just gave me an idea, imagine if we came out with a contract book that management could read and understand and in doing so the contract would no longer be violated?!

We could call it the ups contract for dummies!:happy-very:

I have been able to understand any of those books! :wink2:

some1else

Banned
Don't forget Retirement Benefits that are never paid out either ... what a SCAM!
whats the deal there; you must make the 25 and out or w/e or else you loose all of the pension?

ex. i work 15 years and quit, i will get no portion of my pension contributions back?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
whats the deal there; you must make the 25 and out or w/e or else you loose all of the pension?

ex. i work 15 years and quit, i will get no portion of my pension contributions back?

I was referring to the vast majority of part-timers that work less than 5 years and never get vested in the retirement plan.

Sorry! ... take a deep breath, back away from the keyboard, relax. :happy-very:

some1else

Banned
so its 5 years to be vested? idk; all i know is that the 22.3 issue is why i gave up on the union. the above is the reason they arent fighting for the ft jobs that SHOULD be in place; they would rather have more people paying more dues!

Status
Not open for further replies.