Union rips off Part-Timers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You have 1 sup putting in his two cents who has been out of the operation for some time (this is not a slam hoax)

and two wanna be sups putting in there two cents.
I can almost guarantee that my 6 year old son has been to more monthly teamster meetings than them two combined.

If the part timers were really getting screwed wouldn't they have revolted by now?

If an employee was sent home and a sup did his/her job who would stand up for themselves first? A full timer or part timer?

Who would allow a sup to work in front of them more? a full timer or part timer?

And don't forget to mention I am from the South ... that should help to even further discredit my observations. :wink2:

Very valid points red.

The fact that part-timers don't do the things you point out is why they are poorly represented.

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
And don't forget to mention I am from the South ... that should help to even further discredit my observations. :wink2:

Very valid points red.

The fact that part-timers don't do the things you point out is why they are poorly represented.
Part timers are not poorly represented by the Teamsters, if anything some poorly represent themselves as part timers!

I called OSHA a little over a week ago over egress issues. It was in the primary were all the employees are part time. So do not say that the union does not look out for the part timers! It was the company endangering them to begin with!

Now if it was a primary full of full timers the full timers would have shut the belts off until it was safe to work again or they would of walked out of the unsafe working condition.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Does verizon offer the fab 5 in the south? Thats were you can pick 5 numbers and all the calls you make to those numbers are free all the time.

Probably not seeing that when you call home to talk to the wife, shes still your sister.:surprised::happy-very::peaceful:

evilleace

I kind of resent that 705 I don't let the sups work in front of me as I have been told the stop button is the easy button just saying that not all pt employees let sups work or just don't care.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I kind of resent that hoax I don't let the sups work in front of me as I have been told the stop button is the easy button just saying that not all pt employees let sups work or just don't care.

That was not me evil ... that was 705red.
Turn your considerable evil resentment towards him please.

When I was P/T, I hit the Stop button all the time, so as far as I can remember, I resent that as well.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I kind of resent that 705 I don't let the sups work in front of me as I have been told the stop button is the easy button just saying that not all pt employees let sups work or just don't care.
Then you are one of the few, and I meant no disrespect towards the few that do. But overall full time employees stand up for their rights more then part timers will. How many part timers do you work with? How many of them will file on a sup working?

evilleace

I work with 30 or so pt employees on my shift probably myself and 1-2 others at the most will file everyone else is scared or just doesn't care I know what you were trying to say I just didn't want the generalization that all pt employees don't care about contract violations.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I work with 30 or so pt employees on my shift probably myself and 1-2 others at the most will file everyone else is scared or just doesn't care I know what you were trying to say I just didn't want the generalization that all pt employees don't care about contract violations.

Good ... now I can put you back up on a pedestal. :wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Red, you are right, if Jr has attended one meeting than he has attended more than I have or ever will attend. Why? Our meetings accomplish little, our BA is ineffective and I have much better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than to sit around and drink with guys I work with but do no socialize with.

I have said this before and will repeat it here--I do admire your devotion and the enthusiam with which you perform your steward duties and your co-workers are lucky to have you, but the union is not the end all, be all that you make it out to be. I consider myself to be an adult and to possess the ability to read and comprehend a contract, to abide by said contract and to perform my job in the manner in which I was trained while providing the level of customer service that my customers have come to expect. If I screw up I accept the consequences, learn from it and move on. If mgt screws up, I bring it to their attention and the issue is resolved without a flurry of paperwork or grandstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Then you are one of the few, and I meant no disrespect towards the few that do. But overall full time employees stand up for their rights more then part timers will. How many part timers do you work with? How many of them will file on a sup working?

Interestingly, the vast majority of full-timers working in the hub in our building are still part-timers at heart. Infact they welcome supervisors working in some cases, for the added perks of preferential treatment, easier jobs, vacas/days out whenever they want, etc.

I'm sure this not a local thing either. Full-time inside people in hubs likely will always be part-timers at heart.

FAVREFAN

The online posting of proposals were just done by 705. The national wanted to keep everyone in the dark. I hope that 705 started something here and that the IBT will start posting all negotiations. Not to sure on what the national proposals were.

The $4 is the strike fund and each part timer pays $1 a week and full timers pay $2 a week. Now your $65 a month in dues is because you have been around a while and are making over $20 an hour.
Very true Red but here's the thing. I was working 17.5 hours a week and paying barely short of the same dues that 22.3's around the same hourly rate as me were paying and they get 40 hours per week. It needs overhauling for sure.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Very true Red but here's the thing. I was working 17.5 hours a week and paying barely short of the same dues that 22.3's around the same hourly rate as me were paying and they get 40 hours per week. It needs overhauling for sure.
I. With your seniority, you should be FT (someone's gonna say it, might as well be me).
II. Something definitely needs to be done about dues, based on what I heard at the May meeting.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Favre I understand what you are saying 100%. But if you compare our (705) dues across the nation you will see that we are mild. Our initiation fee is only $50 for part timers and $100 for full timers. Other parts of the country have set limits while others charge 3x's your hourly rate.

jimstud

Banned
Main Entry: 1hoax Pronunciation: \ˈhōks\ Function: transitive verb Etymology: probably contraction of hocus Date: circa 1796 : to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous

Last edited by a moderator:

Solidarity413

Figured I should throw my two cents in here before Upstate and Red go at it ;). I am a part-timer, granted I'm on who will be full-time whenever that word comes back in to UPS's vocab. But I have some pretty bad things to say about how we 'get shafted'. There is no doubt that part-timers are a cash crop for the Teamsters. At least in my local its like a revolving door man, so sure if a part-timer stays 3 months and leaves at least we got his/her init fees. I'm not sure that's a bad thing either, but we can debate about that if ya'll want. The biggest thing I see is that the Union does favor full timers over part timers for the reasons Red said. However I don't think it would be that way if we had some new member classes for the new hired part-timers. You know like 2 times a year have a new members class going over every basic thing you should know as a Teamster, I think you'd see a huge increase in part timer participation. With that participation you'd see the Union level the playing field out when it comes to giving us 'the shaft'

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Main Entry: 1hoax Pronunciation: \ˈhōks\ Function: transitive verb Etymology: probably contraction of hocus Date: circa 1796 : to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous

Oh NO!!!

Now everybody knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.