Union said it will not represent me at panel

ski or die

Ski or Die
At this center they actually set drivers up on purpose just to try to get them, why would you as a company allow this to happen when it is the drivers that are the backbone of the company and the managers dont seem to realize that, the be out to get the good ones and let the people stay who constantly miss times on early am and businesses
Tiered wages. New driver, considerably less payroll, young and strong, and gungho to make an impression to keep job. That is the main problem with tiered wages.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Had a talk with business agent today and he told me that he would not take my case before the panel. Said he doesnt think that the case can be won. Because I had just been to panel back in March. Has anybody ever heard of this and can this be done not representing union member?
So much going on. March hearing may have been warning of "last chance". Letting BA know you might file NLRB charges if he doesn't go to panel isn't necessarily going to help. At that point, he would take it to panel to cover his own. I have sit in quite a few hearings with the BA, and watched as he just sit there on his hands and didn't say a word. It seemed as an agreement was made with the panel before I even entered the room. So forcing him to represent you doesn't mean he will help you. Just covering himself. Some BA's are not above board. You might want to talk with Local President. Providing he is honest and not tied to the BA. But as other people have mentioned, doesn't seem like all the story is here.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I've been in enough hearings to know that there is way more to this story. 3 different levels of management don't follow you all at once unless there is history there. And if you went to panel in March, did you not know you had a target on you? Skipping methods etc? You should of been by the methods 100% because you have to know they are going to watch you.

Some variables are seriously missing here

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Burned twice
The Tribe has spoken

DpB9NBnxFo8SDzePYic.gif

Bottom rung

Maybe he's spoken out against local management and representation? That's a sure way for management to come after you, and the local too look the other way. I've heard of a driver with three levels following him. He's had a target on his back since he made seniority. It's been years and he's still here. Maybe because he doesn't speak out about the soft busniess agents...

The Silent Bang

Sounds like the UPS agent Gram at Local 952! He puts 2 members against each other and just watches the company give them discipline and then fails to do anything about it. Then fails to represent another member when a manager shoves him after a meeting, further more tells the company to DQ a driver because he doesn't like him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burned twice

Sounds like the UPS agent gram at Local 952! He puts 2 members against each other and just watches the company give them discipline and then fails to do anything about it. Then fails to represent another member when a manager shoves him after a meeting, further more tells the company to DQ a driver because he doesn't like him.

WOW THAST BAD

Last edited by a moderator:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How does a unnecessary back, not using three point contact, and not using power zone escalate to this?
That's how this company works. They stick a trumped-up termination case against you, it gets "settled" and then the company harasses and nit-picks things such as "failure to follow instructions" to hang them with.

Yet the vast majority never experience this.
A lot of members don't have to experience this becaus of good representation from their locals. This might fend off the company from trying these sort of tactics. I've had the pleasure of meeting your representatives and they are very good ones. That's probably why you don't see it. It always nice to give them a pat on the back when you see them. Your elected officials go from Hero to zero in a matter of days with wom members so kind words are appreciated.

Also as in life you get many kinds of people. This is what you get at ups as well. Some members can't help putting themselves in certain situations that get spun into real bad situations. The union nor the company don't want these situations. Just when you think you've seen it all some new form of stupid always pops up.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So the Union should throw money out the window defending a guy who clearly has no business working here?

It sounds to me like this BA has the business sense to know that this case is a loser.

Often times, it's not even the monetary cost of going to panel. I think it's something like $100 to file a termination case to the panel in my area for the union.

More often, it's about the member's employment record. For example, let's say I'm representing a member that stole something. He admits to theft when being interviewed by loss prevention and wants to fight for his job. If he's admitted to it and there's evidence, there's zero chance he can win the case. At that point, it's better for him to resign so he doesn't have to tell his next employer he was terminated from UPS for theft.

All that being said, there's a LOT that's been left out of this story that the OP won't really explain. If it's a workplace violence termination and there's multiple witnesses corroborating the company's version of the story, that's a pretty difficult case to win.