Union says UPS info false; some Salina jobs going to Lenexa; other jobs eliminated

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Union says UPS info false; some Salina jobs going to Lenexa; other jobs eliminated - Salina

A Friday email from a United Parcel Service spokesman to the Salina Journal is being disputed by the Teamsters Union.

In a Saturday story, UPS announced plans to move 38 truck driving jobs from its Salina freight center to Denver and said the drivers would be given the opportunity to move there. The information came from an email from Dan McMackin, a corporate spokesman.

“That’s just not true,” said Matt Hall, of Topeka, business agent for Teamsters Union Local 696.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Looks like the crux of concern by the Union is the elimination of jobs by changing the meetup points between Denver and Lenexa from 3 drivers to 2 drivers meeting heads up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Looks like the crux of concern by the Union is the elimination of jobs by changing the meetup points between Denver and Lenexa from 3 drivers to 2 drivers meeting heads up.
If that's the case sounds like we are becoming more efficient. Which is a good thing.

oldngray

nowhere special
It sounds like UPS plans to make a move that will eliminate jobs. Union claims against the contract. I think the union is right but looks like a battle over it is brewing.

P

pickup

so, how does this work? Are the affected drivers truly out of work? Do they work in the hub at the driver pay rate until jobs are created again? Or are they out on the streets?

Does anyone have any idea what goes on exactly?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

so, how does this work? Are the affected drivers truly out of work? Do they work in the hub at the driver pay rate until jobs are created again? Or are they out on the streets?

Does anyone have any idea what goes on exactly?

Wouldn't they displace lower seniority feeder drivers?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I believe the affected drivers are given the choice to follow their job. If he/she chooses not to, I would think they would be given the choice to bump a junior feeder driver off the job that they are currently on in their current building. The bumping usually goes down the seniority list till all the required bumps are made, possibly ending up where the last drivers on the feeder seniority list are without feeder work, then they have to go somewhere else. Your results may vary.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I believe the affected drivers are given the choice to follow their job. If he/she chooses not to, I would think they would be given the choice to bump a junior feeder driver off the job that they are currently on in their current building. The bumping usually goes down the seniority list till all the required bumps are made, possibly ending up where the last drivers on the feeder seniority list are without feeder work, then they have to go somewhere else. Your results may vary.
In this case, there is no work to follow. The work (feeder run) is eliminated.

By The Book

I don't think they can start over in another building and not offer the affected feeder drivers a chance to follow their job. There may not be as many runs needed with this change, and the bidding of those by the current drivers by seniority will take care of filling those runs.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The article said there were 38 jobs moving from Salina to Denco. Those are the jobs I was referring to as far as offering drivers to follow if they wished. I have seldom seen drivers follow jobs because of the logistical problems of possibly moving, uprooting kids from school, or making a lot longer commute. It is usually just easier to bump a junior driver. I don't have a problem with making the jobs more efficient. If jobs are lost, it usually filters down to the bottom seniority drivers. If they bide their time, eventually they will come back to feeder work thru attrition, promotion, etc.

P

pickup

Hey, it looks like you agree with the Business Agent, and not with UPS. Amazing how retirement can change one's viewpoint.