Union steward and boss relationship

So at the center where I work we are all wondering about our sup and the steward both are single and we think something is going on the steward is getting almost every Friday off but he/she is still scheduled to work. Is there a way to petition the steward out? And also she/he literally never defends us anymore he/she basically always agrees with the sup on everything. Like for example. As a cover driver you are on call and should be called in a hour before the shift. will a cd got a call like 20min before start time to cover that stewards route but they couldn't because of late notice and received threats about it....?

At our center they have us on call. And according to them they will notify us a hour before start time. Which is 9:25 so they have to inform us by 8:25. Man a day ahead of time would be sweet.

Faceplanted

At our center they have us on call. And according to them they will notify us a hour before start time. Which is 9:25 so they have to inform us by 8:25. Man a day ahead of time would be sweet.
Like I said, if you are a cover driver there is no such thing as on call. I haven't heard of any supplement that has such a thing. You need to be notified of your start time the day prior. Spread the word to your partners and start standing up for your selves

The only "on call" drivers are the seasonal guys.

The cover driver position is a joke, ups uses cover drivers in the worst of ways, don't let them abuse u.

I called my union guy feels like we have to just put up with everything cause they weren't much help at all the union rep said we have to answer our phones all the way up to start time and to think I have to put up with my sup for my 26 years left at UPS I'm starting to feel that the pay is not worth going through all this harassment and unfairness.

Faceplanted

I called my union guy feels like we have to just put up with everything cause they weren't much help at all the union rep said we have to answer our phones all the way up to start time and to think I have to put up with my sup for my 26 years left at UPS I'm starting to feel that the pay is not worth going through all this harassment and unfairness.
What supplement are u in? Seems like your local is weak as hell. U do not have to answer your phone or come in to drive if u do not want to. THE CONTRACT backs exactly what I'm saying. U need to be notified of your start time the day prior. If u and your other drivers in the Center keep getting stepped on its only gonna get worse.

Next time u come into work, get a different shop Stewart, pull and on road to the side with the Stewart and explain that u will no longer be playing the on call game you expect to be notified of driving the day prior. If they don't notify you and use a less senior guy file for the hours they worked

You been with ups long enough.... Now it's time to learn how to play the game. If they retaliate or harass you for standing up for your self you need to file on that too. Keep a paper trail to protect your self.

Inthegame

So at the center where I work we are all wondering about our sup and the steward both are single and we think something is going on the steward is getting almost every Friday off but he/she is still scheduled to work. Is there a way to petition the steward out? And also she/he literally never defends us anymore he/she basically always agrees with the sup on everything. Like for example. As a cover driver you are on call and should be called in a hour before the shift. will a cd got a call like 20min before start time to cover that stewards route but they couldn't because of late notice and received threats about it....?
Check with your local but most likely the bylaws require "stewards under suspicion of dating supervisors" shall be drawn and quartered, flogged, or at minimum tarred and feathered. If either party is ugly, a public execution is in order, with the time and place posted on the union bulletin board.

Indecisi0n

Honestly you should know YOUR contract. You should be able to defend and stand up for yourself without a steward there. Most of the time he is there just as a witness.

Side note. I am not saying don't get your rep when an issues comes up but mearly pointing out you should be able to defend yourself.

Check with your local but most likely the bylaws require "stewards under suspicion of dating supervisors" shall be drawn and quartered, flogged, or at minimum tarred and feathered. If either party is ugly, a public execution is in order, with the time and place posted on the union bulletin board.
Lol what?

I called our local teamsters and he pretty much stood behind the sup and said the steward doesn't seem to defend the sup. according to them it's right. I really don't understand how someone can just stop what they are doing and head to work as soon as you get called...shouldn't you have a choice to say you can't. And also I was told that a dr note does not excuse you from work smh.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What supplement are u in? Seems like your local is weak as hell. U do not have to answer your phone or come in to drive if u do not want to. THE CONTRACT backs exactly what I'm saying. U need to be notified of your start time the day prior. If u and your other drivers in the Center keep getting stepped on its only gonna get worse.

Next time u come into work, get a different shop Stewart, pull and on road to the side with the Stewart and explain that u will no longer be playing the on call game you expect to be notified of driving the day prior. If they don't notify you and use a less senior guy file for the hours they worked

You been with ups long enough.... Now it's time to learn how to play the game. If they retaliate or harass you for standing up for your self you need to file on that too. Keep a paper trail to protect your self.

It's Steward not Stewart
Hope that helps

Faceplanted

I called our local teamsters and he pretty much stood behind the sup and said the steward doesn't seem to defend the sup. according to them it's right. I really don't understand how someone can just stop what they are doing and head to work as soon as you get called...shouldn't you have a choice to say you can't. And also I was told that a dr note does not excuse you from work smh.
U got a lot to learn bro. It doesn't matter what your supervisor or local union say, your supplemental and nationwide contract trump all. Don't listen to dumb union members or management. I'll bet my piggy bank you are in a rtw state and work with a bunch of cowards and Pansy's who probably don't even know how to file a grevience.

I said before how cover driving works according to the contract but you keep ignoring what I say. They are screwing with you because you don't know your rights. Time to put the big boy pants on

I will say it one more time.... They are required to notify you the day prior about your start time. You do not have to pick up the phone, or come into work to drive if you were not notified the day prior. Stand up for your self!!!!

km3

Ask your steward for a copy.

And I already did a little bit of looking for you. If you are in 795, you're under the central region supplement.

Faceplanted

Good luck man. You either gotta stand up for your self now and be prepared for a little battle or have a whole ups career of disrespect from management.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our contract states that if we are calling in for the day off we must do so no later than 1 hour before start time----this is why cover drivers are asked to call in. I do agree that it would be best for all involved if they told you the day before but things do happen.

Faceplanted

Throughout the day? No, but you need to be available up to one hour before start time.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to work or not.
No you don't. As you said some guys don't mind getting called in. No where does it state you have to come in, you can if you want.

Management needs to get their staffing proper, it's not our job. Ups needs to know the night before how scheduling is looking, plan for call ins, and if those call ins don't happen the cover guys can still work if they want and a senior guy can take a sch off. That's how it's supposed to work.

I can tell you have never been a cover driver.... It's the worst. Pt pension credit, treated like crap and you get used and abused. It gets old.

If a driver lives 45 minutes from the hub do u think it's fair they wake up every morning, Shave, get dressed, sit by the phone and wait.... Just to not have to work, and than they still have to report to their regular sort.... It's not cool and ruins your sleep and daily life

Last edited: