Union vs Non-Union

Legitimyze

I am fairly new and dont know much about the Union. I am now aware I have to wait a certain period before I can be a part of the union.

When the time comes that I am eligible, should I do it (is it an option to not join)? What are the differences of union vs non-union as far as pay, benefits, vacation/holiday pay/sick days.

Is it pretty much the same either way, or are there some noticeable differences?

By The Book

I am fairly new and dont know much about the Union. I am now aware I have to wait a certain period before I can be a part of the union.

When the time comes that I am eligible, should I do it? What are the differences of union vs non-union as far as pay, benefits, vacation/holiday pay/sick days.

Is it pretty much the same either way, or are there some noticeable differences?
Once you obtain seniority you can and will be encouraged to join. You will pay dues as a member or fees as a non union member, which by the way are probably the same either way. One noticeable difference is union members can vote on all matters such as their business agents, elections for union officials, whereas non union members can't vote. You will get represented when things get tough either way. All your pay issues have nothing to do with the union, they have been previously negotiated in the current contract you're working under. Find your shop steward, go to a union meeting at your local, and get a printed copy of the current contract and constitution when you join. Take time to read the contract, this knowledge will help you in the long run.

Once you obtain seniority you can and will be encouraged to join. You will pay dues as a member or fees as a non union member, which by the way are probably the same either way. One noticeable difference is union members can vote on all matters such as their business agents, elections for union officials, whereas non union members can't vote. You will get represented when things get tough either way. All your pay issues have nothing to do with the union, they have been previously negotiated in the current contract you're working under. Find your shop steward, go to a union meeting at your local, and get a printed copy of the current contract and constitution when you join. Take time to read the contract, this knowledge will help you in the long run.
What fees will hebe charged if he doesn't join?

By The Book

What fees will hebe charged if he doesn't join?
He will be a fee paying member( his share of what the union feels are his expenses.) My ba told me this about a guy who crossed the line in the 97 strike. If he doesn't join that doesn't mean he pays nothing but still gets the same representation as dues paying members.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
He will be a fee paying member( his share of what the union feels are his expenses.) My ba told me this about a guy who crossed the line in the 97 strike. If he doesn't join that doesn't mean he pays nothing but still gets the same representation as dues paying members.

I'm in a RTW state, none of the non-union hourlies pay anything here.

Sent using a Potato

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'm in a RTW state, none of the non-union hourlies pay anything here.

Sent using a Potato
Same here, they are suppose to be represented and treated the same by the union, regardless if they pay dues or not.

Now what other individuals who do pay dues and find out that they don't, well the union has no control over that.

purplesky

When the time comes that I am eligible, should I do it (is it an option to not join)? What are the differences of union vs non-union as far as pay, benefits, vacation/holiday pay/sick days.

Really? You don't know about unions? Have you been living under a :censored2:ing rock?

Just google it and do some quick research on why UPS Teamsters make great money and have great health benefits and a pension and great vacation time.
Its not because UPS likes us. Its because we are union.

Are you a troll?

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
RTW makes my head want to explode.

1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

I live in a RTW state and even if I don't like the law it means a lot when 85% of PTers are in the Union and almost all FTers are Union. Not because they are forced to but because they want to be in the Union.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

I smell a troll.
trlrky.gif

Legitimyze

Really? You don't know about unions? Have you been living under a :censored2:ing rock?

Just google it and do some quick research on why UPS Teamsters make great money and have great health benefits and a pension and great vacation time.
Its not because UPS likes us. Its because we are union.

Are you a troll?

Not trolling, I am completely serious. No one has ever explained to me what a Union actually was. I am still working at my first job for 6 years now, been here since high school. Guess I never really needed to know about Unions until now.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Not trolling, I am completely serious. No one has ever explained to me what a Union actually was. I am still working at my first job for 6 years now, been here since high school. Guess I never really needed to know about Unions until now.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1WPDB_enUS508US509&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=should i join the union at ups

Just googled it for you.
There's 21.1 million web pages that may help you and inform you

If you need more information, talk to fellow co-workers

Last edited:

simplesam

simplesam

new here but people ask do I pay dues or not??? when you go to any kind of court do want a court appointed lawyer or one you have payed? think about that!

Ashell

Being in the union allows you to vote. But it kind of seems like the votes don't really matter because there are a few unions that will throw your vote out if its not for the people already in office. And if they get bought out they will throw them away so UPS can impose whatever contract they want.
You can go to the Christmas party in my area. Non-union workers are not invited.
They will give you a copy of the contract. If you are not in the union they wont even sell you one. That way you never really know what the rules are or if UPS is breaking them.
In our area they give you a day planner, retail value about 10$, you should keep track of your times in it.
The steward might put a little extra effort into your grievance, but you can file if you are in or not.
You also get a magazine. I never read it so I couldn't really tell you. I think its mostly just propaganda about how great IBT is and all the people they are helping to join the union.
You can go to union meetings. My union hall is pretty far. I have never gone. I hear if you don't have something to say that agrees with what everyone else has to say, you will be bad mouthed and told to shut up.

Pay, benefits, everything else is the same.

Legitimyze

So from what I understand so far, being in the union as a part time package handler will give you better job security and back up against management if you are given any trouble. And you get an invite to the Christmas party, which roughly will cost me $600 per year. I could throw myself a pretty nice party with that money if I wanted lol.

After I am eligible for health insurance (1 year from date of hire?) then it may seem worth it. I would probably be better off holding off until then.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can download a copy of the contract for free.

Christmas parties are overrated----everyone gets drunk and talks shop.

You will get your benefits whether you are in the Union or not.

The Union is not the end all, be all people on here make it out to be.

Resident know-it-all.