Union vs Non

J

jibbs

[Deleted because I don't know how to officially do it. My apologies if anybody saw my original post before I had a chance to edit things out (I'm lookin' at you, FreakinBananas)]

wilberforce15

My very first job was also $2.15/hr to start. What's your point? Dude, wtf are you talking about? I started part time and I'm a full time driver now. I don't get your point. This thread is union vs non union. All I did was state that I'm glad I'm in a union. I make more driving a truck then my friends with masters degrees. So you decided to pick my starting wage apart. Who the friend@ck are you? I know the part time wage sucks. But the part timers have the most pull to change that dynamic in the vote. But they don't vote. Maybe you should be picking a fight with them instead before you get a verbal rape.

lol. Thank you for the admission that you were wrong.

Way to get super technical to (try to) disprove a point

Inflation isn't 'super-technical.' And the point is pretty clearly proven. Nobody who was hired ten or more years ago should talk like they have been in the shoes of today's newbies.

And it is relevant to the thread. Today's part-timers are pretty much non-union already in compensation.

wilberforce15

What are you talking about kid? You make zero sense.

People who really know they are right don't blow up like that.

However, when someone knows they are wrong and just wants to save face, that's when their chests puff out, the temper flares, and their maturity and IQ are revealed through things like threats of 'verbal rape.' It's laughable, if it weren't so sad.

That reaction is an admission. Maybe if we're lucky, this post will inspire another one.

stink219

What are you talking about kid? You make zero sense.

People who really know they are right don't blow up like that.

However, when someone knows they are wrong and just wants to save face, that's when their chests puff out, the temper flares, and their maturity and IQ are revealed through things like threats of 'verbal rape.' It's laughable, if it weren't so sad.

That reaction is an admission. Maybe if we're lucky, this post will inspire another one.
I just have I low tolerance for stupidity. You still failed to make your point. So keep ignorance on your side.

wilberforce15

I just have I low tolerance for stupidity. You still failed to make your point. So keep ignorance on your side.

You got paid more on your first day on the job than a current 4-year employee who is getting the extra $1.00 in skill pay. Let that sink in - someone with four years at UPS, and skill pay, isn't getting what you received when you were being taught how a stop-button works.

You started at a 50% higher rate than the guy who starts today, and got benefits in a small fraction of the time.

It's neither stupid nor ignorant to believe that those facts matter. It's great that things used to be different. But they were demonstrably different.

If, in a decade or two, somehow the package car top rate was down to $21/hr (in today's dollars), would you be on here talking about how you had it tough when you were a driver too? Hopefully you see that any driver at $21/hr would not want to listen to anything you had to say about how you were in the same boat.

I'll repeat: nobody who was hired ten or more years ago should talk like they have been in the shoes of today's newbies. Being a part-timer today is a non-union job.

I guess I'm still waiting for the verbal rape.

stink219

Banana,
So what your saying is that the starting wage is what is most important? Am I hearing you correctly? FYI, in our building, A 4 year preloader is making $12.99 right now and is getting more guaranteed hours, bennies and pension contributions that are far superior than what I had when I was 4 years in. I think you need to recalculate your math. The point being, when I said it matters where you end up is, we are fighting to increase part time STARTING pay? I always said since day one, that STARTING PAY is the wrong fight. It's the progression of your wages that matter the most (where you end up). Part timers have the power to control every contract.

wilberforce15

The point being, when I said it matters where you end up is, we are fighting to increase part time STARTING pay?

How about not cutting it by 35% over 20 years?

Progression matters the most? Fine - people who start today will NEVER reach the same pay for the same years of service that was available 20 years ago. There is no break-even point where current part-timers will ever get to where previous generations were at the same number of years. The raises can't do the job when you take an axe to starting pay.

DOK

Banana,
So what your saying is that the starting wage is what is most important? Am I hearing you correctly? FYI, in our building, A 4 year preloader is making $12.99 right now and is getting more guaranteed hours, bennies and pension contributions that are far superior than what I had when I was 4 years in. I think you need to recalculate your math. The point being, when I said it matters where you end up is, we are fighting to increase part time STARTING pay? I always said since day one, that STARTING PAY is the wrong fight. It's the progression of your wages that matter the most (where you end up). Part timers have the power to control every contract.

The union wants the high turnover of the PT ranks that is happening now due to the low starting wage and not getting beni's for a year or so. High turnover is a cash cow for the union, and the company loves it too, less money out the door to pay for beni's, vaca's etc. There's a certain percentage of the workforce at UPS that are and will always be transient. Don't fool yourself and think the union doesnt like the $8.50 starting wage.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Banana,

This is true to a point. $8.50 is really low. I'd like something like $10 starting and a progression that gets u to $15 in 3 years.

I also liked upstates plan to offer higher wages in lieu of giving up healthcare benefits.