Union will not file grievance

LoneRanger

Employee has been gone for 180 days, after 180 days they forfeit their vacation. in addition, all employees where I work at have asked me to file this grievance, but I was told by the business manager that I could not do it.

LoneRanger

The Employee has been gone for more than a year and has put in for some of the summer weeks of vacation on the vacation calendar. The other employee's want those weeks. however, the union feels that an employee has a right to those weeks of vacation without pay. What we want, is the vacation weeks that where put on for this employee to be avalible for other employee's to bid on.

UPSGUY72

The Employee has been gone for more than a year and has put in for some of the summer weeks of vacation on the vacation calendar. The other employee's want those weeks. however, the union feels that an employee has a right to those weeks of vacation without pay. What we want, is the vacation weeks that where put on for this employee to be avalible for other employee's to bid on.

I take it he must have got hurt at work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The union doesnt "feel" anything. The union is simply upholding the language in the contract. Vacation weeks are selected in seniority order and an employee is entitled to select weeks even though he/she will not be paid for them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The union doesnt "feel" anything. The union is simply upholding the language in the contract. Vacation weeks are selected in seniority order and an employee is entitled to select weeks even though he/she will not be paid for them.

...then why wouldn't said employee pick non-premium weeks to allow his co-workers to be able to choose from the premium weeks?

...then why wouldn't said employee pick non-premium weeks to allow his co-workers to be able to choose from the premium weeks?

Because if he comes back he is entitled to take the weeks of vacation his seniority gets him. I know you're thinking of doing the "right thing" by others but in reality how often have you ever really seen it happen over anything?

Also, at least in our local, once per contract an employee is allowed to "buy back" his weeks of vacation. I.e. be paid for them even though the required hours were not worked the year before.

tourists24

may be a good question Up... but that isnt the fault of the union.... If the language of the contract needs to be changed then so be it.... but its not the fault of the union that there is no grievance

LoneRanger

It is in the contract that the employee can lose his or her vacation but I was told by the BA that he would not file the grievance. I thought if I filed a grievance the union would have to let the process proceed but that's not what happened. The 180 days is were I found the language in the local part of the contract. This employee is gone most of the year and most of the next and will come back to work in the spring and than another doctor's note before summer so they can be out in the garden. Then winter time is another note because of snow and peak.