Union won't let me work for another hub

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The hub I work at does not deliver to my home. I asked about being a driver helper in my home town which is covered by another UPS hub. Our neighboring hubs are part of the same local union.

Nobody can explain why the hub which delivers to my home would rather hire somebody off the street (who they do not know) then bring on a seasonal jumper from another location.

Only thing I've been told its something to do with the union and how we are paid....yada-yada.

Seems like the Union is preventing me from working as a temp seasonal elsewhere....?

Are you sure it's "the union" not allowing you to work in another building or is it the company?

UPS labor managers have the weirdest hard-on about even allowing transfers with legitimate reasons for to another hub, even with end-tailing seniority. I can all-but-guarantee you that your local union business agent doesn't give a :censored2: about you working as a seasonal helper out of a closer terminal (especially ahead of someone off the street) but that the real impetus is the company.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Great contribution to the thread.
No you want life handed to you on a silver platter. You didn't take a job at the center that delivers to your hometown. You took a job somewhere else.

Ups has hundreds of thousands of employees. You really can't see the massive bag of worms this could open?

Last edited by a moderator:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Id say like BB58 said, just try n jump with the driver thats closest to your house. You should be ok parking somewhere and leaving your car there. Just leave your car somewhere, where its safe or has alot of lighting in parking lot.

watdaflock?

I can all-but-guarantee you that your local union business agent doesn't give a :censored2: about you working as a seasonal helper out of a closer terminal (especially ahead of someone off the street) but that the real impetus is the company.

That's what I'm wondering too. I've heard it has to do with the Union, seniority and fees but do not know for sure if correct.

By The Book

It's a union job. This requires workers to pay union dues. These seasonal employees are called back to become permanent employees who attain seniority. It's a circle of life kind of thing.

Brownslave688

Are you sure it's "the union" not allowing you to work in another building or is it the company?

UPS labor managers have the weirdest hard-on about even allowing transfers with legitimate reasons for to another hub, even with end-tailing seniority. I can all-but-guarantee you that your local union business agent doesn't give a :censored2: about you working as a seasonal helper out of a closer terminal (especially ahead of someone off the street) but that the real impetus is the company.
Quit making sense.

The OP just wants what he wants and no matter what anyone says he will never see why he can't have it. (Lovely generation we have growing up right now)

watdaflock?

No you want life handed to you on a silver platter. You didn't take a job at the center that delivers to your hometown. You took a job somewhere else.

Where should not matter as a temp seasonal employee.
We are not talking about a seniority position.

Somebody (UPS decision makers or the Union) is preventing me from being a driver helper for whatever reason.

Really not that big of a deal but does seem odd for a company to rather bring someone in off the street for a temp job, even if the pay would be the same.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Somebody (UPS decision makers or the Union) is preventing me from being a driver helper for whatever reason.

Really not that big of a deal but does seem odd for a company to rather bring someone in off the street for a temp job, even if the pay would be the same.
Most everything they do makes no sense lol. I stopped trying to figure these idiots out a long time ago. They will never listen to their employees to make smart rational decisions, why i have no idea and will probably never know lol.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

In the grand scheme of things (from both a labor and a labor management perspective), letting someone bid into another building for work during peak opens a can of worms that neither side (company or union) would want to deal with:

Feeder drivers wanting to bid on routes in other hubs
Drivers wanting to bid onto other routes in other centers
PT'ers wanting to bump junior PT'ers out of double shifts in other nearby hubs

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Since the union is so terrible why don't you just run along and find a job somewhere else.

He has a future in shoe sales.

You're still going to drive to meet the driver where he wants to meet you. If you're my helper I'm sure as hell not coming by your house to pick you up. I drove 45-50 minutes at times to be a driver helper my first year. Why? Because it was my job and where they told me to be.

If a helper lived on the earliest part of my route or on my way to my route, I would pick them up early and drop them off heading in. Otherwise, they drove to meet me.

Brownslave688

If I had to guess it a payroll issue. You can't work at 2 centers at once. It would likely kick all hours out as an error if this happened.

watdaflock?

If a helper lived on the earliest part of my route or on my way to my route, I would pick them up early and drop them off heading in. Otherwise, they drove to meet me.

I could walk from one end of my village to the other in less than 10 minutes. We have two stop lights.
The only thing in-between the UPS hub and my little village is corn fields.

He has a future in shoe sales

That was my past! (lol) The owner was willing to sell improper fitting shoes to customers so I had to quit. haha!

If I had to guess it a payroll issue. You can't work at 2 centers at once. It would likely kick all hours out as an error if this happened.

I bet you're right. You'd think the payroll people could cut me a paper check for jumping and keep it separate from my direct deposit from preload.

UPSGUY72

There are 4 center in 3 buildings in my local. As a FT you can bid into anyone of them if you have the seniority. As a PT your stuck in the the building you got hired in until you can win a FT bid and have the seniority to win one in the building you want to be in.

watdaflock?

There are 4 center in 3 buildings in my local. As a FT you can bid into anyone of them if you have the seniority. As a PT your stuck in the the building you got hired in until you can win a FT bid and have the seniority to win one in the building you want to be in.

If they really do collect union fees from all seasonal workers, those who are never hired do they get the Union fees refunded?

Of the 95k seasonal helpers UPS is supposedly bringing in, how many of them in the long run do they really expect to keep?

How much profit does the Union make after one peak season at UPS?

By The Book

Let it go balboa! Go to a union meeting and ask these dues questions; my guess you will never be satisfied with what they say so again,,,, let it go balboa!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If they really do collect union fees from all seasonal workers, those who are never hired do they get the Union fees refunded?

Of the 95k seasonal helpers UPS is supposedly bringing in, how many of them in the long run do they really expect to keep?

Not all locals charge initiation fees for new/seasonal PT hires. We waive initiation fees primarily because we're in a RtW state and hitting someone for $150 when they're bringing home $140/week in a "union" job wouldn't result in many new members -- also, it's the right thing to do.

Closed shop state locals hitting part-timers for initiation fees is one of the biggest scams going in the Teamsters. Initiation fees are 100% OK for someone coming into a job with a union pay scale, pension, and benefits. That's bordering on extortion for $10/hour at 20 hours a week and no health benefits for a year.

UPSGUY72

You work in a union shop you should be paying union dues unless you work in a scab oops should I say rtw state which paying union dues is voluntary. Don't like paying union dues go find another job.