Union won't let me work for another hub

542thruNthru

That's what I'm wondering too. I've heard it has to do with the Union, seniority and fees but do not know for sure if correct.

Sorry haven't read the whole thread yet but....

You were bitching about the union this whole time and you don't even know if it's them stopping you!!!!! Seriously!!?!?!

Maybe find out the reason why before you go on your little whiny rant next time!

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It isn't a payroll thing. You can work at two centers on the same day. The timecards just get merged.

But judging by your responses they probably just don't want to deal with your attitude.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just my 2 cents here and I'm sure it don't speak for everyone but the worst jumper I had in my whole career was a young kid who grew up in the small town I was delivering. He couldn't make a delivery without having to carry on a conversation with someone who knew him or his parents.

Not all routes have helpers. Who says this particular one needs a helper? Or even in the area this person lives?

UPS WORKHORSE

The hub I work at does not deliver to my home. I asked about being a driver helper in my home town which is covered by another UPS hub. Our neighboring hubs are part of the same local union.

Nobody can explain why the hub which delivers to my home would rather hire somebody off the street (who they do not know) then bring on a seasonal jumper from another location.

Only thing I've been told its something to do with the union and how we are paid....yada-yada.

Seems like the Union is preventing me from working as a temp seasonal elsewhere....?

You only have seniority in your building. You have 0 seniority in any other building, and UPS is under no obligation to work you out of another building. It is in UPS's best interest to have you work out of your own building. There would be too much bureaucracy and coordination to have employees jumping from building to building just to make things more convenient for you. It is UPS you should be mad at, which is still unfounded, not the union. The union's role in this situation is to protect the employees seniority at the building you want to take work away from. You have no right to take their work, and they have no obligation to offer it to you. If you want to be a driver helper out of that building so bad... transfer.

How long have you been working for UPS?

clean hairy

You are too valuable to Managment in your current building!
If you like the other building too much, you may want to transfer there, then your current building will not know how to run with you no longer there!
Be appreciative of the fact they appreciate you so much!

Re-Raise

This "shoe expert kid" will be a real treat if he ever makes it to cover driver.

I can hear him complaining about what routes they want him to run already.

When I was young and broke I worked where they needed me, and was glad to get the work.

Chemo

Only thing I've been told its something to do with the union and how we are paid....yada-yada.

Seems like the Union is preventing me from working as a temp seasonal

Who told you that?
Don't you think that's the EXACT conclusion they wanted you to come to.
yada-yada

Re-Raise

thanks dad. Can I have the keys to the PC?
How many things would you complain about when I told you to take the package and set it by the front door?

You struck me as a know-it-all with your shoe thread, and now you want to blame the Teamsters because you can't pick where you get to be a driver helper.

I have a feeling no one wants you as their helper.