Unionizing FedEx - What does it mean to you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
As far as Express was concerned, getting the IBT into one of the operating segments would've been significant to show the IBT was willing to expend some effort. Believe me, Express employees know they are getting shafted. There are two things which they know even more assuredly: that any attempt within Express to openly organize will be met with terminations galore, the IBT will cut and run if the going gets a bit rough for them. Combine these two factors and Express employees aren't going to do a thing.

The other thing is that with the RLA, any attempt MUST be done on a national basis - no local cherry picking by any union.

Then the future business plans of Express include shedding as many full-time wage employees as possible while outsourcing the performance of "services" to other segments with a lower cost of operations.

All combined, this means that a snowball has better odds of existing in hell, than Express does of unionizing.

I hope you are wrong because the future for UPS operations in the US are bleak if FedEx employees do not organize.

UPS is carrying the load for all Teamsters and it is just a matter of time before UPS falls by the wayside in the US as an employer of Teamsters if FedEx is not organized.

The Teamsters and UPS Union employees have got to do something about FedEx unionizing or all UPS Teamster employee jobs and pensions are in jeopardy by 2025.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I hope you are wrong because the future for UPS operations in the US are bleak if FedEx employees do not organize.

UPS is carrying the load for all Teamsters and it is just a matter of time before UPS falls by the wayside in the US as an employer of Teamsters if FedEx is not organized.

The Teamsters and UPS Union employees have got to do something about FedEx unionizing or all UPS Teamster employee jobs and pensions are in jeopardy by 2025.

There is nothing that UPS or the Teamsters can do about this issue. Congress has to act by way of vote. That vote must place FEDEX into the jusridiction of the NLRB and out of the National Railway act.

No organizing can occur until this is done.

With the republicans in charge of the house of representatives, there isnt a chance in hell that this will happen. The republicans (your beloved party) will NEVER side with the UNIONS and any attempts of passing a bill through the house under John Boehner is impossible.

For now, FEDEX dodged a bullet. If the democrats had held the house, you would have seen a vote and passage before the end of Obamas second term.

For now, its history.

Peace.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is nothing that UPS or the Teamsters can do about this issue. Congress has to act by way of vote. That vote must place FEDEX into the jurisdiction of the NLRB and out of the National Railway act.

If the democrats had held the house, you would have seen a vote and passage before the end of Obama's second term.

For now, its history.

Peace.

It's funny how the target moved out to years 7-8 when it use to be 1-2. Sounds like a political dodge to me.

BTW, the Democrats controlled all 3 components of the US Government in years 1-2 and nothing happened. I was as disappointed as the hardest core Teamster that the Democrats sat on their hands and did nothing the first two years as we hoped and thought they were going to do.

upsgrunt

There is nothing that UPS or the Teamsters can do about this issue. Congress has to act by way of vote. That vote must place FEDEX into the jusridiction of the NLRB and out of the National Railway act.

With the republicans in charge of the house of representatives, there isnt a chance in hell that this will happen. The republicans (your beloved party) will NEVER side with the UNIONS and any attempts of passing a bill through the house under John Boehner is impossible.

For now, FEDEX dodged a bullet. If the democrats had held the house, you would have seen a vote and passage before the end of Obamas second term.

For now, its history.

Peace.

Man do I get sick of your same old song and dance political agenda. I swear you have some financial interest in Barry holding office.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
There is nothing that UPS or the Teamsters can do about this issue. Congress has to act by way of vote. That vote must place FEDEX into the jurisdiction of the NLRB and out of the National Railway act.

With the republicans in charge of the house of representatives, there isn't a chance in hell that this will happen. The republicans (your beloved party) will NEVER side with the UNIONS and any attempts of passing a bill through the house under John Boehner is impossible.

For now, its history.

Peace.

There most certainly is something we can do. It is called education as a Teamster member. Educating the masses on the issues at hand and the stance of the politicians on those issues. If people don't stop basing their votes on emotional issues like abortion and gun control they are going to run themselves right out of a job and a pension and health care. It all needs to start with a grassroots member education drive by all teamster members.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Man do I get sick of your same old song and dance political agenda. I swear you have some financial interest in Barry holding office.

You better open your eyes if you think the republican party has any plans to help us out in the working class of America!!

iowa boy

For now, its history.

Peace.

It is funny though, that the democrats couldn't get anything done when UPS approached them back in 2009 to change FEDEX's classification from RLA to NLRB when the Dem's had control of both the house and senate.......And all of a sudden the republicans are at fault?

Come on TOS, tell the whole side of the story, not just "The other side".

edit: Sorry Hoax, didn't see your post as I was typing my post. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It's funny how the target moved out to years 7-8 when it use to be 1-2. Sounds like a political dodge to me.

BTW, the Democrats controlled all 3 components of the US Government in years 1-2 and nothing happened. I was as disappointed as the hardest core Teamster that the Democrats sat on their hands and did nothing the first two years as we hoped and thought they were going to do.

Thats exactly the problem HOAX, like your post which was a hoax in itself by calling on teamsters and ups union employees to do something, the democrats spent the first year and a half fighting for health care. That action tabled any hope of getting the FEDEX vote done in the first two years. Losing the house simply killed the idea alltogether. Shame on the democrats for spending too much time on healthcare. A tactical mistake. Should have been JOBS, HOUSING then after things got better, healthcare.

Talk is cheap now unless the democrats can take the house back and keep the senate and by current poling, the house leadership has a 10% approval rating and the likelihood of replacing them seems not to unreasonable.

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It is funny though, that the democrats couldn't get anything done when UPS approached them back in 2009 to change FEDEX's classification from RLA to NLRB when the Dem's had control of both the house and senate.......And all of a sudden the republicans are at fault?

Come on TOS, tell the whole side of the story, not just "The other side".

edit: Sorry Hoax, didn't see your post as I was typing my post. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Who said it was the republicans fault? Does reading comprehension escape you? The only factor the republicans play in this game as we speak is that they control the house of representatives and wont bring a vote on this issue to the floor.

The fault lies squarely on the the democrats in the house. Granted, the first two years Obama had to try and keep this nation out of a depression and other things kept their eyes off fedex, but at the end of the day, no matter what the circumstances, the democrats failed to get a bill and a vote to the floor before they lost control.

Now, the republicans will NEVER address this issue and its a dead issue until power changes once again. The democrats will need the house, senate and white house if anyone ever plans on seeing this happen.

Until then, dead issue.

Peace.

barnyard

KTM rider
The Democrats had their chance on this. I did my part and wrote my representatives. The Democrats flat out let us down on this. To say they had to work on health care is a cop out. They should be able to do 2 things at once. My understanding was that the change would have been a rewording of the re authorization of the RLA. They did do the re authorization and did not add any language regarding Fed Ex.

How can that be anything but a failure to help labor???

bbsam

Staff member
Looking around the country and seeing the different pay in different industries, I find it laughable that this topic has come up and in a site with such strong conservative leanings. We live in a center-right country and have for quite some time. So why is this troubling to you? That corporate America aims to minimize cost and that cutting Teamster pay should go right along with that American spirit of self-reliance. Remember, money is speach and corporate America will continue to speak loudly and richly. But then again, UPS is hugely profitable. Maybe they will continue to deal fairly (kinda) with the IBT in a kind of economic detente. Yeah, right.

barnyard

KTM rider
It is pretty funny that a board that seems to lean conservative, seems to vote that way, would expect that a liberal agenda would pass. Make no mistake about it, anything that benefits a union is a liberal agenda and will not see Republican support. If changing Fed Ex's standing with the RLA cannot be done with Democrats controlling both houses and the White House, it is never going to happen.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The Democrats had their chance on this. I did my part and wrote my representatives. The Democrats flat out let us down on this. To say they had to work on health care is a cop out. They should be able to do 2 things at once. My understanding was that the change would have been a rewording of the re authorization of the RLA. They did do the re authorization and did not add any language regarding Fed Ex.

How can that be anything but a failure to help labor???

You are both correct and incorrect Barnyard. You see, you are correct in saying the democrats let big labor down on this particular issue. You are incorrect when you say they could do two things at once. During the first two years, they had to debate a housing crisis, a bailout of wall street and banks, healthcare, unemployment (which the republicans wanted to expire), 2 wars, supreme court nominees, and a host of other bills that were passed on from the previous congress for debate.

These issues take time, and when one party or the other drags on debate through parlimentary moves like the republicans have, that wastes time.

The fedex issues isnt at the top of the list right now. Its a back burner issue and for now, its off the stove.

There were many things passed under dem control, like the GI DEBT RELIEF bill that keeps our fighting troops out of bankruptcy court when they return. This helps thousands of soldiers and I would rather see debate and vote on this issue before the fedex vote.

Look up the last 2 congresses and see what passed and what didnt pass. There is more than just healthcare as the republicans would have you believe.

Peace

bbsam

Staff member
But I think we have tunnel vision to call it the "fedex issue". Wages have been stagnant or falling for years and nobody has done a thing. It has not touched UPS yet, but what makes you think UPS is an untouchable? Why would congress suddenly step in to help UPS?

barnyard

KTM rider
TOS,

You are ignoring the fact that the RLA was up for re authorization, went through hearings in the House and Senate, was voted on and sent to the President for a signature. All of that could have been done with language changing Fed Ex's classification. This could have been done, the votes were there to do it. Big money spoke and had their say at the end of the day.

bbsam

Staff member
TOS,

You are ignoring the fact that the RLA was up for re authorization, went through hearings in the House and Senate, was voted on and sent to the President for a signature. All of that could have been done with language changing Fed Ex's classification. This could have been done, the votes were there to do it. Big money spoke and had their say at the end of the day.
No. I believe Senator Corker put a hold on that legislation.

barnyard

KTM rider
Some folks dont understand how the house works or parlimentary moves. I dont blame him for that. He just knows what he heard somewhere.

Peace.

I absolutely do understand how parly pro works.

I also know that the Democrats completely dropped the ball by extending the Bush tax cuts without DEMANDING several items from their agenda go through. Unfortunately, a lack of leadership from the White House, the Speaker of the House and the Senate Majority leader allowed the tax cuts to pass with nothing in return from the Republicans.

Right now, Democrats are doing as much to hurt the labor movement as Republicans are.