Unions are bad!!!

Ricochet1a

It still amazes me how powerful the purple juice is. I'll make 85k-90k this year with free health care, dental and vision and Ups still makes billions a year. FredEx is drinking mai tais with the politicians all the while enjoying his chinese like labor force. No doubt he's pulling off one of the biggest corporate labor scandals in history. Lube up or step up and do something about it.

The issue within Express, is that there are just enough purple KoolAid drinkers, part-time Couriers passing through, and topped out Couriers that don't want to rock to boat - to prevent any real organizing from taking place. The only thing those in Express can do is either "lube up", or make an exit plan - there are just a bit too many who are either intoxicated on purple KoolAid or like the way things are, to have a remote chance of getting "something done".

And yes, the IBT isn't doing much either right now, they are trying to keep their current membership happy and don't want to expend anything on trying to "grow" membership.

Goldilocks

The issue within Express, is that there are just enough purple KoolAid drinkers, part-time Couriers passing through, and topped out Couriers that don't want to rock to boat - to prevent any real organizing from taking place. The only thing those in Express can do is either "lube up", or make an exit plan - there are just a bit too many who are either intoxicated on purple KoolAid or like the way things are, to have a remote chance of getting "something done".

And yes, the IBT isn't doing much either right now, they are trying to keep their current membership happy and don't want to expend anything on trying to "grow" membership.

Can you just understand that we are trying to keep our jobs too. We just handle things a little different. I learned how to CMA and how to play the game. I dont blame anything on FS. I do blame everthing on some of these positions that were created that have turned this company around and around. They no longer look at the person but instead look at a piece of paper that states "you should be able to do this."

The Morale of the employees on the ground floor has hit rock bottom. How do we get it back up the right way. Until everyone bans together and writes contructive letters to Memphis personel and to FS, nothing will ever change. People, use your resources, they are right in front of you... Dont sit there blaming FS for everything. Instead, hold those bad managers feet to the fire. I have seen so many that have moved into management that just makes me shake my head. At my station we have great managers and a great senior. They try, and thats all I can ask. It has not always been that way, but those bad apples are no longer with the company.

Borderline 9.5

I asked myself many times why the IBT hasn't put a better effort into organizing Fedex. After reading Goldilocks posts, I understand why they haven't tried harder. Frustrating just reading them, must drive you guys nuts working around this.

Goldilocks

I asked myself many times why the IBT hasn't put a better effort into organizing Fedex. After reading Goldilocks posts, I understand why they haven't tried harder. Frustrating just reading them, must drive you guys nuts working around this.

What is this suppose to mean? Actions speak louder than words...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The Kool-Aid drinkers are a big problem, but the larger issue is the RLA itself. The IBT knows that organizing Express would be difficult, but since they've never really expended much effort anyway, they don't really know what kind of support there would be for a union.

The 800 lb gorilla in the room is the anti-union environment at FedEx. From Day 1, new employees are bombarded with anti-union sentiment and quickly become aware that they'd better keep their mouths shut about unionizing. Every station has the Railway Labor Act of 1934 posted somewhere (usually in the breakroom), which is interesting because there wasn't anything even remotely resembling an "Express Carrier" in 1934, the verbage used for Fred's Express Carrier Exemption. REA, which used trains and trucks, was very different from an "airline".

It's a joke, but so are the Teamsters, especially Mr. Hoffa.

Goldilocks

The Kool-Aid drinkers are a big problem, but the larger issue is the RLA itself. The IBT knows that organizing Express would be difficult, but since they've never really expended much effort anyway, they don't really know what kind of support there would be for a union.

The 800 lb gorilla in the room is the anti-union environment at FedEx. From Day 1, new employees are bombarded with anti-union sentiment and quickly become aware that they'd better keep their mouths shut about unionizing. Every station has the Railway Labor Act of 1934 posted somewhere (usually in the breakroom), which is interesting because there wasn't anything even remotely resembling an "Express Carrier" in 1934, the verbage used for Fred's Express Carrier Exemption. REA, which used trains and trucks, was very different from an "airline".

It's a joke, but so are the Teamsters, especially Mr. Hoffa.

By the way, I'm not an 800lbs gorilla. Maybe a skinny 105lbs...lol....I totally get what you are saying, believe me, I can tell you stories of the crap that managers have pulled on me and my coworkers. I just believe we should do things in a different way. Peace brothers, we are all in this one together, anything that comes down in October will also affect the "kool-aid-aholics...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
By the way, I'm not an 800lbs gorilla. Maybe a skinny 105lbs...lol....I totally get what you are saying, believe me, I can tell you stories of the crap that managers have pulled on me and my coworkers. I just believe we should do things in a different way. Peace brothers, we are all in this one together, anything that comes down in October will also affect the "kool-aid-aholics...

You don't get it. The "800 lb gorilla" is the anti-union environment at FedEx, not you personally. FedEx has very successfully created a work environment where employees are scared to death (for good reason) to talk openly about unions. It is made extremely clear that being pro-union will put a major crimp on your FedEx career, and probably get you fired.

FedEx actively engages in anti-union behavior, and brings in "strike teams" whenever there is an actual danger of employees voting for the IBT, as recently happened over on the Ground side. Truth be told, they are union busters, which is illegal. That has never stopped them.

By the way, why do you still drink the Kool-Aid if you know the kind of games FedEx plays with employees? Stop supporting your oppressors.

Goldilocks

You don't get it. The "800 lb gorilla" is the anti-union environment at FedEx, not you personally. FedEx has very successfully created a work environment where employees are scared to death (for good reason) to talk openly about unions. It is made extremely clear that being pro-union will put a major crimp on your FedEx career, and probably get you fired.

FedEx actively engages in anti-union behavior, and brings in "strike teams" whenever there is an actual danger of employees voting for the IBT, as recently happened over on the Ground side. Truth be told, they are union busters, which is illegal. That has never stopped them.

By the way, why do you still drink the Kool-Aid if you know the kind of games FedEx plays with employees? Stop supporting your oppressors.

Because I have learned in my 28 years with Fedex how to CMA and get positive results. You sound like a very good courier that is angry with the system. Like I have told you before, the system is put in place for a reason. Use your resources, they are right in front of your face. Constructive letters to the right people really works, you should try it.

vantexan

Because I have learned in my 28 years with Fedex how to CMA and get positive results. You sound like a very good courier that is angry with the system. Like I have told you before, the system is put in place for a reason. Use your resources, they are right in front of your face. Constructive letters to the right people really works, you should try it.

You mean all this time I could have had better pay and a better pension if I had just written the right people? Well slap my forehead and give me a V-8!! "Dear Sirs, It has come to my attention that I only had to write to you to get top-out pay. Since no one made me aware until just recently, could you please make that retroactive and give me back pay also? I'd also like my traditional pension restored too. Thank you so much for restoring my faith in the system! I thought this was taken away permanently, didn't realize it was there for the taking as long as I wrote you a letter. I guess I'm just a dumb courier! Anyways, sorry for being so critical over the years. Now I understand, you can't just give out good pay to just anyone, only to those who write to you. Got it! Signed, Van"Boy Do I Feel Dumb"Texan"

Goldilocks

You mean all this time I could have had better pay and a better pension if I had just written the right people? Well slap my forehead and give me a V-8!! "Dear Sirs, It has come to my attention that I only had to write to you to get top-out pay. Since no one made me aware until just recently, could you please make that retroactive and give me back pay also? I'd also like my traditional pension restored too. Thank you so much for restoring my faith in the system! I thought this was taken away permanently, didn't realize it was there for the taking as long as I wrote you a letter. I guess I'm just a dumb courier! Anyways, sorry for being so critical over the years. Now I understand, you can't just give out good pay to just anyone, only to those who write to you. Got it! Signed, Van"Boy Do I Feel Dumb"Texan"

SLAP ME IN THE HEAD AND GIVE ME A SHOT OF TEQUILLA! WTH VAN, Is this about pay or what is going to happen in October?

vantexan

SLAP ME IN THE HEAD AND GIVE ME A SHOT OF TEQUILLA! WTH VAN, Is this about pay or what is going to happen in October?

Ultimately what happens in October is about pay. You are saying have faith in the system, write letters. Don't think it's going to help. Like my coworker who said if they go through with all this he'll file a GFT, I don't think you realize upper management WANTS this to happen. Nothing we say is going to change that. If we get run over it's just business, or so I'm told. Glad you've managed to get most of a traditional pension and have had relatively good pay for most of your career. Your favorite company seems to think they haven't taken enough from us yet. Since they have to please stockholders every year I wonder how long until they decide to take some of the rest of our benefits away? Why not, they've systematically taken away much already, bit by bit. What's next? Only 2 weeks of vacation a year? No company match on 401k? No little 6 month bonus? No sick day bonus? No health insurance? Let us get our own or pay gov't penalty? Everything is about pleasing the stockholders, so eventually we will probably see further eroding of our benefits. Hey, why should we get benefits, Ground drivers don't!

Goldilocks

Ultimately what happens in October is about pay. You are saying have faith in the system, write letters. Don't think it's going to help. Like my coworker who said if they go through with all this he'll file a GFT, I don't think you realize upper management WANTS this to happen. Nothing we say is going to change that. If we get run over it's just business, or so I'm told. Glad you've managed to get most of a traditional pension and have had relatively good pay for most of your career. Your favorite company seems to think they haven't taken enough from us yet. Since they have to please stockholders every year I wonder how long until they decide to take some of the rest of our benefits away? Why not, they've systematically taken away much already, bit by bit. What's next? Only 2 weeks of vacation a year? No company match on 401k? No little 6 month bonus? No sick day bonus? No health insurance? Let us get our own or pay gov't penalty? Everything is about pleasing the stockholders, so eventually we will probably see further eroding of our benefits. Hey, why should we get benefits, Ground drivers don't!

Do you not think its happening to me too? My God, my friend walked into her work 3 months ago and that company layed off 700 people!! She now has to do the work of 10 employees....GET IT, ALL COMPANIES ARE SQUEEZING THEIR EMPLOYEES, Its just the way our world operates these days.....I am truly sorry that you did not get Traditional pension, I really mean that!! Most large companies do not offer a pension anymore. Its just the way the world is Van.

What makes you guys think that FS owes you everything? He doesn't. He has given you employment and its up to you and everyone of us to do our jobs and clock out. They dont owe me a cookout or a pat on the back or a check. He## we use to get gigantic profit sharing checks every 6 months. Those days are gone and will never return, one because of SOCIETY and CHANGE...This company has grown up and no longer wears training pants but wears pleated dress pants. Ground drivers hired in and they knew what they were getting. JMO...

vantexan

Do you not think its happening to me too? My God, my friend walked into her work 3 months ago and that company layed off 700 people!! She now has to do the work of 10 employees....GET IT, ALL COMPANIES ARE SQUEEZING THEIR EMPLOYEES, Its just the way our world operates these days.....I am truly sorry that you did not get Traditional pension, I really mean that!! Most large companies do not offer a pension anymore. Its just the way the world is Van.

What makes you guys think that FS owes you everything? He doesn't. He has given you employment and its up to you and everyone of us to do our jobs and clock out. They dont owe me a cookout or a pat on the back or a check. He## we use to get gigantic profit sharing checks every 6 months. Those days are gone and will never return, one because of SOCIETY and CHANGE...This company has grown up and no longer wears training pants but wears pleated dress pants. Ground drivers hired in and they knew what they were getting. JMO...

Actually I am getting a traditional pension, just not the amount I was told I would get if I put in X amount of years. Fred S doesn't owe me a living. But if he and FedEx tell me over an over that if I put in the time I get X then they should keep their word. Simple as that. Yes, things become obsolete, times change. Forcing change to enrich a relative few is another story. Why do you defend that? They already had switched to the Portable Pension for newhires years ago. Those employees were told upfront what they would get and If they chose to continue to work here under those conditions that's their choice. And I know someone is going to say then you stay inspite of the changes so that's your choice. In this economy don't have much of a choice but to stay. But don't tell me how thrilled I should be to work for a great company. It was good for you, it's now just a job run by execs who'll tell us anything to keep us at it. And please if you are going to compare us to other companies get your facts straight. Most major companies offer a cash balance plan, which is what our Portable Pension Plan is. Most offer a 401k with a match, and most are more generous with their match than FedEx is. And when you can show me companies that make the demands on their employees that FedEx does without the rewards of putting up with the hassles, I'll shut up. All I've ever asked is to be topped out in a reasonable amount of time and to get a decent pension. I expected better out of FedEx because they used to be better. Now it's about trying to figure what's true and what's B.S. and trying to live with that.

vantexan

And P.S., If a company was so over staffed that your friend can do the work of 10 of them then it's not surprising they laid people off in this economy. Can you imagine running 10 rts every day? Nope. FedEx has been planning the switchover to Ground long before things got bad. It's about making stockholders wealthier, and we're being used to that end. I now recognize the color of your avatar. You are looking through rose colored glasses.

jmeti000

I have to say that while alot of the stuff X has taken away does tick me off, what really gets me going is the lack of notice regarding the changes, especially when they affect pay. I think the higher ups need to remember that there are many living paycheck to paycheck and the smallest changes can have large effects on their lives...we need time to prepare and make adjustments too, just like everyone else.

vantexan

I have to say that while alot of the stuff X has taken away does tick me off, what really gets me going is the lack of notice regarding the changes, especially when they affect pay. I think the higher ups need to remember that there are many living paycheck to paycheck and the smallest changes can have large effects on their lives...we need time to prepare and make adjustments too, just like everyone else.

Imagine how tough it's going to be for many to pay for healthcare if they're suddenly getting 35hrs a week.