United Nations, Internet Regulator?

curiousbrain

I would have actually quoted several other lines, but that is a matter of personal preference, I suppose. Well, maybe one line, then:

The Internet is currently governed under a “multi-stakeholder” approach that gives power to a host of nonprofits, rather than governments.

It's disgusting for me to say this, and in fact, I can taste vomit just by typing it ... but a tiered pricing hierarchy to the internet is inevitable; it's just like cable and premium channels. Yes, "we" all won a great victory by defeating SOPA and that other garbage, but they will just (re)propose and (re)vote until it gets passed. The public has much less tolerance for civil action than corporations do for missing revenue.

Once the internet becomes quarantined along nationalist boundaries (as it logically follows, once a pricing structure is in place), the real problem is not the money you'll have to pay to get/maintain access to certain websites; the real problem will be the lack of a global standard for "top-level domains". On any given day, maybe upsers.com or browncafe.com will work; tomorrow, it might not. That is the subtle, divisive issue that no politician has the brains or foresight to address.

See ICANN and Verisign for additional details that may be of interest. Maybe this too, if severe measures are to be considered.

In my opinion, obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:

texan

I would have actually quoted several other lines, but that is a matter of personal preference, I suppose. Well, maybe one line, then:

It's disgusting for me to say this, and in fact, I can taste vomit just by typing it ... but a tiered pricing hierarchy to the internet is inevitable; it's just like cable and premium channels. Yes, "we" all won a great victory by defeating SOPA and that other garbage, but they will just (re)propose and (re)vote until it gets passed. The public has much less tolerance for civil action than corporations do for missing revenue.

Once the internet becomes quarantined along nationalist boundaries (as it logically follows, once a pricing structure is in place), the real problem is not the money you'll have to pay to get/maintain access to certain websites; the real problem will be the lack of a global standard for "top-level domains". On any given day, maybe upsers.com or browncafe.com will work; tomorrow, it might not. That is the subtle, divisive issue that no politician has the brains or foresight to address.

Not to mention the issue of Black hole.

See ICANN and Verisign for additional details that may be of interest. Maybe this too, if severe measures are to be considered.

In my opinion, obviously.

I often wonder when it will it be regulated / monitored. Not if.....

texan

I do not care what anyone says, BBS dial ups were great.

Greatess day in my life, buying a 56 K modem for my Packard Bell.

wkmac

The current internet model is a dinosaur and is coming to an end. A new movement among activists and hackers is working towards building a complete open source, fully distributed, free and more important beyond the reach and scope of all statists and nation state hands.

How you say?