United Package Smashers

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Its a stupid site, its a good place to go when you are mad at ups, but most of us know that our pkgs make it through usually OK. Go there and you get a different reason to be mad. There are the dunderheads who put their footprint in the middle of pkgs, It happens, and stuff gets open and falls apart, usually the shippers fault, not always but usually.
Everyone needs a place to vent, but this one is overboard. Find that one person who got a bad pkg out of the millions we deliver, and bank on it. Thats the best you got? How about not being able to track a usps pkg until after its delivered. Take pics of the usps pkgs left in plain site, in the rain, sleet and snow.
Do they pay for their mistakes, Nope you do, through all your tax dollars..........are they pressed like us to make time and committment, no they do not have to make a profit, if they screw up, its Ok tax dollars will take care of it. Nope just raise the price, and no accountability, if they screw up, the collective "we" pay for it. Yes I have had more than one instance with UPS that totally drove me nuts, but try to find a lost pkg through USPS or DHL, you got a better chance of seeing GOD.

local804

There are some pretty messed up photos there and you can tell it is UPS. I would be pissed at hell if one of them were my personal packages. Its not like it is an accident either, pure crap.

Fnix

The shifter trucks at my building recently got a metal bar welded to the front bottom of them so instead of running packages over it pushes them out of the way of the truck.

Big Babooba

I see heavy boxes falling apart almost everyday. Almost all of them are taped together with one strip of the cheapest packaging tape you can buy.

"Would these people go shark fishing with 20 pound test?"

:crying:
What i love are the people who reuse boxes. They'll use a half a roll of tape to seal the top and do nothing about the worn out, half torn tape on the bottom of the box. When I point it out to them, they get all huffy. I tell them that the contents usually fall out of the bottom of the box due to the effects of gravity. The next day, same situation - same person. Some people just don't learn.

Channahon

The shifter trucks at my building recently got a metal bar welded to the front bottom of them so instead of running packages over it pushes them out of the way of the truck.

And the bar also picks up any nails, screws, metal seals to prevent flat tires. Although the metal seals should never make it on property if the guards are doing their jobs. Removing the seals and putting them in a recycling bin. Just another way to generate revenue for UPS and help the environment.

Safety, perfomance. and cost issues addressed at the same time. Every little bit helps.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the package smashers website. When you visit Amazon.com or any of the large online retailers, you can read or write reviews of the products. Ebay has the feedback rating system. Ever hear of Consumer Reports? But you can't go on ups.com and write a review of the good or bad service you received. So package smashers, among others, provides the outlet. Actually there are tons of "sucks" websites out there and not just for UPS. To me it's just a place for people to report their good or bad experiences with UPS, whether it's as a customer or as an employee.

Sure some people improperly pack their shipment. But some people follow the rules and their stuff still gets broken, lost, stolen or whatever. This is usually when the person is at wit's end because the shipment was probably important and they feel completely helpless. This is where good customer service should kick in and guide the customer through the entire claims process. Not at UPS. Call a few numbers, get the run-around, get accused of bad packaging, and then wait.

Claims are a joke. If you go to a UPS Store or UPS Customer Counter and have them check your packaging, or better yet, package the shipment for you (for a premium charge of course) and it gets broken, they STILL try to deny your claim even though THEY packed it.

Over the years, the pride and prestige of working at UPS has dwindled. When $8 an hour was a good wage, people took pride in their work. These days they can't keep a full staff, $8.50 an hour stinks so the quality of work suffers. Couple that with the weight limit increase from 70 to 150 (whenever that was) and you have small packages and envelopes being crushed by 150 pounders because they don't process them separately.

satellitedriver

What i love are the people who reuse boxes. They'll use a half a roll of tape to seal the top and do nothing about the worn out, half torn tape on the bottom of the box. When I point it out to them, they get all huffy. I tell them that the contents usually fall out of the bottom of the box due to the effects of gravity. The next day, same situation - same person. Some people just don't learn.
You just nailed one of my pet peeves.
About six months ago, I had a 45lb electric motor fall out of the bottom of a box.
It dug into my shin bone.
Three doctors visits and a couple days missed work and all I have to show for it is a scar.
PAX
PS.
It took 3 courses of antibiotics and a month to heal.
It was kind of funny at the doctors office when the P.A. took off the bandage I had applied and said "Oh my God".
I reminded her on my second visit to be a little more careful with the way she verbally reacts to wounds.

Last edited:
Its a stupid site, its a good place to go when you are mad at ups, but most of us know that our pkgs make it through usually OK. Go there and you get a different reason to be mad. There are the dunderheads who put their footprint in the middle of pkgs, It happens, and stuff gets open and falls apart, usually the shippers fault, not always but usually.

Its the shipper's fault when this kinda stuff happens? Please tell me you are joking. YouTube is full of videos. People e-mail me more videos and pictures all the time.

Then, show us the way.
Guide us with your wisdom, and tell us what you think.

I am working on a new feature for the site. When its up, I am sure there will be alot more hollering. I'm not gonna spill the beans yet. But its good. Trust me on this one. :devil3:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!

Real easy to deal with this situation............. Don't pick up the package! Management has stressed to us numerous times not to pick up a package that doesn't look like it will make it through the system. I have done it on several occasions. Even had to get a few acct. reps off their lazy butts a few times to deal with a few larger shippers that wouldn't pack their stuff worth a crap.

BigBrownSanta

Real easy to deal with this situation............. Don't pick up the package! Management has stressed to us numerous times not to pick up a package that doesn't look like it will make it through the system. I have done it on several occasions. Even had to get a few acct. reps off their lazy butts a few times to deal with a few larger shippers that wouldn't pack their stuff worth a crap.

What's the time allowance for package inspection?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

If the shipper feels that their package is packed good enough to be shipped and we accept it, who's to blame?

UPS has calculated the cost of damages and it seems they are satisfied with the current cost, otherwise, they would make adjustments to our work day. That hasn't happened. It's quantity over quality.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I personally don't see anything wrong with the package smashers website. When you visit Amazon.com or any of the large online retailers, you can read or write reviews of the products. Ebay has the feedback rating system. Ever hear of Consumer Reports? But you can't go on ups.com and write a review of the good or bad service you received. So package smashers, among others, provides the outlet. Actually there are tons of "sucks" websites out there and not just for UPS. To me it's just a place for people to report their good or bad experiences with UPS, whether it's as a customer or as an employee.

Sure some people improperly pack their shipment. But some people follow the rules and their stuff still gets broken, lost, stolen or whatever. This is usually when the person is at wit's end because the shipment was probably important and they feel completely helpless. This is where good customer service should kick in and guide the customer through the entire claims process. Not at UPS. Call a few numbers, get the run-around, get accused of bad packaging, and then wait.

Claims are a joke. If you go to a UPS Store or UPS Customer Counter and have them check your packaging, or better yet, package the shipment for you (for a premium charge of course) and it gets broken, they STILL try to deny your claim even though THEY packed it.

Over the years, the pride and prestige of working at UPS has dwindled. When $8 an hour was a good wage, people took pride in their work. These days they can't keep a full staff, $8.50 an hour stinks so the quality of work suffers. Couple that with the weight limit increase from 70 to 150 (whenever that was) and you have small packages and envelopes being crushed by 150 pounders because they don't process them separately.

Incase you're completely out of the loop, the UPS stores and customer counters don't handle claims. I laugh at customers when they come into the counter asking me to pay their shipping for a broken item, or for a late NDA. I reiterate ; laugh out loud at naive requests. you have to call the 800 # for damage claims and missing pkgs. If it isn't in the system, it's as good as nonexistant.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Its the shipper's fault when this kinda stuff happens? Please tell me you are joking. YouTube is full of videos. People e-mail me more videos and pictures all the time.

I am working on a new feature for the site. When its up, I am sure there will be alot more hollering. I'm not gonna spill the beans yet. But its good. Trust me on this one. :devil3:

Every package is supposed to withstand a 4 foot drop.

Cry me a river. You think FedEx, USPS or DHL is any different?

Channahon

Take a look at this- guaranteed claims for damages or lost packages when the UPS store packs your package for you?

Not sure why it took so long for that to happen, but should promote customer loyalty and increase revenues for the UPS store owners.