United Parcel Service matches lowered expectations for 4Q profit, tops revenue forecasts

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
United Parcel Service matches lowered expectations for 4Q profit, tops revenue forecasts - US News and World Report

Higher spending to gear up for the crush of holiday-package deliveries pushed fourth-quarter profit down 61 percent at UPS and the company gave a tepid outlook for 2015.

The results were roughly in line with the lowered expectations that UPS set two weeks ago, when it warned that profits during the latter part of the year would disappoint.

CEO David Abney said Tuesday that the company will control costs and raise prices this year, including surcharges for residential deliveries on peak days. UPS is sticking to its long-term targets for higher earnings, he said.

undies

We're going to push even more customers to regional shippers and USPS...not feeling secure about my job security.

Packmule

Hopefully most of this will only affect peak season, not all year. If so, I see things working out either in higher shipping costs passed on to consumers for one month, or many ordering earlier to avoid the cost. Win win either way.

fishtm2001

United Parcel Service matches lowered expectations for 4Q profit, tops revenue forecasts - US News and World Report

Higher spending to gear up for the crush of holiday-package deliveries pushed fourth-quarter profit down 61 percent at UPS and the company gave a tepid outlook for 2015.

The results were roughly in line with the lowered expectations that UPS set two weeks ago, when it warned that profits during the latter part of the year would disappoint.

CEO David Abney said Tuesday that the company will control costs and raise prices this year, including surcharges for residential deliveries on peak days. UPS is sticking to its long-term targets for higher earnings, he said.

I'm sure this has probably been brought up before but, if we are looking for additional revenue why are we not charging shippers for the actual weight of a package rather than their stated weight? I make countless deliveries of items labeled at a fraction of the true weight?

upschuck

I'm sure this has probably been brought up before but, if we are looking for additional revenue why are we not charging shippers for the actual weight of a package rather than their stated weight? I make countless deliveries of items labeled at a fraction of the true weight?
Most hubs have dimensional scanners, and when they get unloaded and pass under them, they get weighed and measured under those scales. The only ones that don't get weighed are those going from hub to center and doesn't pass through another hub.

ups1990

Could this mean a return to past day after thanksgiving work practices? The company did mention is was a money wasting idea.

ups1990

Hey newbie,
Past Friday after Thanksgiving was working.
Recently it has been off.
Noticed I wrote "past working practices"!
Didn't UPS require all drivers to work this day unless they were on vacation?
Maybe you're the newbie and didn't know that this past day after Thanksgiving was a mandatory working day for UPS drivers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Noticed I wrote "past working practices"!
Didn't UPS require all drivers to work this day unless they were on vacation?
Maybe you're the newbie and didn't know that this past day after Thanksgiving was a mandatory working day for UPS drivers.
If you call 40 years a "newbie".
I guess I misread your somewhat cryptic post but the purpose was a light-hearted playful reply.
Go ahead and take your ball so I can't play.

I'll leave with feelings hurt and go take some pictures ... by myself ... where no one can hurt me! :picture:

oldngray

nowhere special
If you call 40 years a "newbie".
I guess I misread your somewhat cryptic post but the purpose was a light-hearted playful reply.
Go ahead and take your ball so I can't play.

I'll leave with feelings hurt and go take some pictures ... by myself ... where no one can hurt me! :picture:

Selfie time?
3-funny-selfie-2.jpeg

Sparkey86

Did anybody notice during peak you had more rental equipment at you center? Sitting idle as well for several days before used? Or not used at all?