United Parcel Service matches lowered expectations for 4Q profit, tops revenue forecasts

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Feb 3, 2015.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

United Parcel Service matches lowered expectations for 4Q profit, tops revenue forecasts - US News and World Report

Higher spending to gear up for the crush of holiday-package deliveries pushed fourth-quarter profit down 61 percent at UPS and the company gave a tepid outlook for 2015.

The results were roughly in line with the lowered expectations that UPS set two weeks ago, when it warned that profits during the latter part of the year would disappoint.

CEO David Abney said Tuesday that the company will control costs and raise prices this year, including surcharges for residential deliveries on peak days. UPS is sticking to its long-term targets for higher earnings, he said.

2. undies

undies Active Member

We're going to push even more customers to regional shippers and USPS...not feeling secure about my job security.

3. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

Hopefully most of this will only affect peak season, not all year. If so, I see things working out either in higher shipping costs passed on to consumers for one month, or many ordering earlier to avoid the cost. Win win either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. fishtm2001

fishtm2001 New Member

I'm sure this has probably been brought up before but, if we are looking for additional revenue why are we not charging shippers for the actual weight of a package rather than their stated weight? I make countless deliveries of items labeled at a fraction of the true weight?

5. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Most hubs have dimensional scanners, and when they get unloaded and pass under them, they get weighed and measured under those scales. The only ones that don't get weighed are those going from hub to center and doesn't pass through another hub.

6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

So UPS lowered estimates just before the report and met those lowered estimates? OK ......

7. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Business is good... But they executed like the seahawks in the Super Bowl.

8. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

All the drivers seemed to like the execution when it was happening!

"BEST PEAK IN 20 YEARS"

9. Monkey Butt

UPS managed expectations and no surprises on announcement day ... typical UPS.

10. ups1990

ups1990 Well-Known Member

Could this mean a return to past day after thanksgiving work practices? The company did mention is was a money wasting idea.

11. Monkey Butt

Hey newbie,
    Past Friday after Thanksgiving was working.
    Recently it has been off.

12. ups1990

ups1990 Well-Known Member

Noticed I wrote "past working practices"!
    Didn't UPS require all drivers to work this day unless they were on vacation?
    Maybe you're the newbie and didn't know that this past day after Thanksgiving was a mandatory working day for UPS drivers.

13. Monkey Butt

If you call 40 years a "newbie".
    I guess I misread your somewhat cryptic post but the purpose was a light-hearted playful reply.
    Go ahead and take your ball so I can't play.

I'll leave with feelings hurt and go take some pictures ... by myself ... where no one can hurt me! :picture:

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Selfie time?
    [​IMG]

15. Monkey Butt

The beard and boobs look about right.

16. Packmule

Packmule Well-Known Member

Hey, if my gut still looked like that I'd be taking selfies too!

17. Sparkey86

Sparkey86 Member

Did anybody notice during peak you had more rental equipment at you center? Sitting idle as well for several days before used? Or not used at all?

18. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Yup

19. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Now I feel bad. Maybe I can help by paying a portion of my benefits?

20. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I'll go one step further. How about a 6 year progression for new hires. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.