United way 13- I was signed up for $10 a week without my authorization..

pretzel_man

That's all we ever have here p-man.
Anonymous posters telling stories we either believe or not on an internet forum.
How do you propose we "get the facts" in this instance?

I propose that instead of assuming that UPS stole from the OP, you ask for facts....

Look at the facts presented.... The deductions from last year are still in place. That's all we know......

Isn't it possible that he / she made a mistake in entering it on the website?
Isn't it possible that this was the last deduction from 2012?

I did not accuse him of being untruthful nor did I assume that he was wrong about an illegal act. And, if he is right, isn't going to the ethics hotline or elevating the situation the proper next step. If his information was changed, the person who did it should be fired.

But I'd like to know that first before I condemn someone.

People here are doing exactly what they complain about poor UPS managers doing. Assuming the worst before getting the info. I would not support a manager doing that either.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Everyone here has accepted this situation as being an illegal and unethical act instead of having a reasonable explanation. Isn't it worth getting the facts first?

You act as if this forum has some authority to rectify or change topics being discussed.
That is not the case.
People come here to bitch and complain about everything within UPS.
It's called venting!

Of course, you are right if someone is actually seeking the truth.

OutlandishMc

I never gave to the United way because a a PT employee I am living under the poverty level myself. I can't see making a company that can not keep their own employees above the poverty level look good in the public eye.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I never gave to the United way because a a PT employee I am living under the poverty level myself. I can't see making a company that can not keep their own employees above the poverty level look good in the public eye.

I would say almost all part time jobs would put people under the poverty level. Thats why people seek out full time jobs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I propose that instead of assuming that UPS stole from the OP, you ask for facts....

Look at the facts presented.... The deductions from last year are still in place. That's all we know......

Isn't it possible that he / she made a mistake in entering it on the website?
Isn't it possible that this was the last deduction from 2012?

I did not accuse him of being untruthful nor did I assume that he was wrong about an illegal act. And, if he is right, isn't going to the ethics hotline or elevating the situation the proper next step. If his information was changed, the person who did it should be fired.

But I'd like to know that first before I condemn someone.

People here are doing exactly what they complain about poor UPS managers doing. Assuming the worst before getting the info. I would not support a manager doing that either.
That is a fair point from a management POV, given it's at least a slightly biased one. The problem is, that stealing and cheating are far more rampant than you give due credit. Pretty much every one of us has been stolen from, falsified, cheated in some way by management. Most of us at least several times.

I could see your POV treading water, IF, these were isolated instances that rarely came up.

You're talking about a company that thrives from it's manipulating, coercing, stealing and general haphazard behavior.

leastbest

LeastBest
I had a center manager sit me down and ask why I didn't give to United Way. I told him that drivers were terminated routinely for minor offenses and when they got their job back didn't get back pay. When that happened I'd give the money that I would normally give to UW to the driver. I told him I felt better about it. I told him that if he believed strongly enough in UW he should give more.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I had a center manager sit me down and ask why I didn't give to United Way. I told him that drivers were terminated routinely for minor offenses and when they got their job back didn't get back pay. When that happened I'd give the money that I would normally give to UW to the driver. I told him I felt better about it. I told him that if he believed strongly enough in UW he should give more.

I had a FT supervisor bug me about signing up for United Way until I started telling all of his employees about the bonus he got for signing up a certain percent of his staffing sheet.

:peaceful:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Help us out! Where are you getting an average rate of return of 10%?
Pretty much any aggressive growth mutual fund will produce this or better over the long term. This year alone I'm up 15%. The problem lies when people get scared like in 08 and take thier money out instead of buying more on sale.

pretzel_man

That is a fair point from a management POV, given it's at least a slightly biased one. The problem is, that stealing and cheating are far more rampant than you give due credit. Pretty much every one of us has been stolen from, falsified, cheated in some way by management. Most of us at least several times.

I could see your POV treading water, IF, these were isolated instances that rarely came up.

You're talking about a company that thrives from it's manipulating, coercing, stealing and general haphazard behavior.

Countless times I have seen an hourly employee steal from the company or do something unethical.

That doesn't make me assume that the next person did. I go and find the facts.

beentheredonethat

I'm scratching my head on this one since a few months ago I went online at upsers website to enter a zero contribution for the '13 year as opposed to the $10 per week I opted to contribute last year.

I wanted to avoid the shakedown feeling that I got from my last year tyrant manager whom by the way was just fired a few weeks before Christmas on other unethical findings. Worst manager in my 23 years.

Yesterday morning I questioned management and asked if it was possibly a continuation of last years contribution. They said no, it is all new for this year. I asked them to contact payroll and have it stopped asap. In the 5 minutes I had to ask around before start time, I found 2 other drivers that found their contributions to be other than what they wanted.

Supporting a corporations 'public image' when they hate their own people is something I will no longer do. For the naysayers who will bring up the point that it's the poor that suffer I'll tell you this. My wife is a psychotherapist and gives deeply discounted rates to those in need. Since I do her medical billing we are both giving to the community far greater than united way could with a few dollars.

This way I can give an albeit small slap in the face to UPS for their current unethical treatment of its own people.

So, I'm just letting others know this looks like another corporate unethical action we need to watch out for..

Things may have changed over the years. But I was in payroll back in 1995 time period. Back then we had the old paper forms to enter in the united way deductions for employee's payroll.

There are different reasons that UPS will deduct from an employee's paycheck. For example, DRIVE, United Way, "Thrift Plan - granted a long time ago", Union dues, Initiation fees, court orders for child support, purchasing bonds etc etc etc.
When we put it in there were two ways of entering in deductions. For example, if we were told by the court to deduct $100/wk forever for child support. We would enter in the system to deduct 100/wk with no end date.
For situations like United Way, and if a person entered in $10/wk for their contribution. We would enter in deduct $520 in increments of $10/wk. Other things like Drive were similar. In this way, we didn't have to "STOP" the contributions, the system automatically stopped when it hit the total amount.

Is it possible, that there was a week or two weeks were the OP received no paycheck. (Laid off, scheduled off etc etc).

This could explain why the money kept being taken for a week (or potentially a few weeks).

Again, I haven't been in payroll for years and things may have changed. But this could easily explain what would happen.

Also, no supervisor, or manager that I have ever known has ever gotten a "bonus" or extra money for getting 100% contribution of their employees. However, and unfortunately, I have seen some mgrs\div mgrs go way way overboard on the united way. They wanted to get all their employees to 100% to be able to show their boss as a way of look at me. I disagreed with that approach.

I think the United Way does a lot of good, and I appreciate that UPS makes it easy for people to give money to a worthy cause. But I think this should be 100% up to the individual to give or not to give.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
There's not a bonus per say they get, but its one thing upper management likes to use as a "showing us how you can motivate your employees to contribute to such a worth cause" card while toting how they'd love to "see how much more responsibility you can handle". Reminds me of management using the "well if you wanna go into management, you have to make yourself noticed by performing better than your peers" to people that put their letter in, implying to do whatever it takes to get those results.

Not to say this is how all operations management handles these instances, just pointing out what I have seen first hand and was told by disgruntled supervisors.

rod

Retired 22 years
The way they used to push the United Way thing reminded me of when I was in Army basic training and the old 1st Sargent gave us a speech about how he would like everyone to donate a dollar a month (I was only making $87 a month) to the old soldiers relief fund. As he put it---"He couldn't force you to donate but then again he did have a dozen KP duty spots he had to fill for the weekend" wink-wink.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I had a FT supervisor bug me about signing up for United Way until I started telling all of his employees about the bonus he got for signing up a certain percent of his staffing sheet.

:peaceful:

No matter how many times you tell that lie, it does not make it come true.

It may or may not be true, but it is obvious that there is some sort of "incentive" for the frontline manager to put undue pressure on their people.
No matter how many times you say it isn't true, the same story keeps rising to the surface?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Countless times I have seen an hourly employee steal from the company or do something unethical.

That doesn't make me assume that the next person did. I go and find the facts.

I get that. I wasn't implying that someone (as you say, the next person) should be blamed directly, without facts. I am saying that it is commonplace to be cheated, so in an overall sense, it is to be expected. That doesn't have to be assigning blame to anyone in particular or "the next person", as you put it.

Let me ask you this: what percentage of rank-and-file UPS'ers do you think fully trust management -would trust them enough to never double-check their work and assume full honesty and integrity at all times?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If this is indeed true then I agree with those who demand that the person who entered the data be disciplined; however, I also agree with P-man that many of you are basing your opinions wiithout knowing the whole story. I would wait until this Friday to see if the $10/week is still being taken out.

Would it really be that big deal if we all gave just $1 to ensure 100% participation?