United way bull

azupser

Why is it we are pushed so much to donate to united way, and when a coworker gets sick or hurt we start a collection to help them. The company will not step up and help. But they sure like giving money to a charity that has questionable ethics. (Corporate vacations, ceo bonuses ext)

purplesky

Why is it we are pushed so much to donate to united way, and when a coworker gets sick or hurt we start a collection to help them. The company will not step up and help. But they sure like giving money to a charity that has questionable ethics. (Corporate vacations, ceo bonuses ext)

If you don't like giving to charities than just give a 1 time $10.00 donation and move on.

I imagine there is a huge corporate tax benefit for UPS and employee contributions is probably important in the equation. Its a win win. So UPS needs 100% participation.

United Way seems to have cleaned up their act and more money now goes to actual people in need.

Some people start collections for coworkers in need and it always reminds me about how I need a bigger emergency fund.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Yeah!!

This guy gets it.

kingOFchester

If you don't like giving to charities than just give a 1 time $10.00 donation and move on.

So what you are saying is this. If you don't like giving to UW, then give $10.00. That is insane. Why would someone who doesn't want their hard earned money going to UW give even one cent? It is their money. I do give. But that is my choice, and no one should feel obligated to give anything.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
So what you are saying is this. If you don't like giving to UW, then give $10.00. That is insane. Why would someone who doesn't want their hard earned money going to UW give even one cent? It is their money. I do give. But that is my choice, and no one should feel obligated to give anything.

It's called keeping them off your back.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
The only problem I have with it, is the way they do it. They simply don't just ask, I have never given to united way and every time they treat me like I'm some cold hearted person. They don't even let it end there, they keep at it, just one dollar, come on one dollar, it's just one buck. Today I walk in and some Teamster folks are standing at the guard shack hitting people up for money, something to do with elections. WHAT THE HELL AM I PAYING DUES FOR?!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I imagine there is a huge corporate tax benefit for UPS and employee contributions is probably important in the equation. Its a win win. So UPS needs 100% participation.

United Way seems to have cleaned up their act and more money now goes to actual people in need.

Some people start collections for coworkers in need and it always reminds me about how I need a bigger emergency fund.

I would like to see our contract amended to allow the donation of vacation and/or personal time to someone going through an extended personal or medical crisis. Prison guards locally are allowed to do this and it really helps out the impacted person.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only problem I have with it, is the way they do it. They simply don't just ask, I have never given to united way and every time they treat me like I'm some cold hearted person. They don't even let it end there, they keep at it, just one dollar, come on one dollar, it's just one buck. Today I walk in and some Teamster folks are standing at the guard shack hitting people up for money, something to do with elections. WHAT THE HELL AM I PAYING DUES FOR?!

They are raising money for the Teamster PAC DRIVE. I walk right by them when they are outside my center.

burco8080

just tell them you have already gave. All your safe driving awards and other 5 10 15 20 year gifts, plus a turkey every year.

BrownTexas

I don't give to UW simply because it makes management look good for every cent they get donated. I choose to help people that are struggling regardless of it they ask for help or not. People who are truly grateful when you give them what they haven't asked for but to see the weight lifted off their backs is awesome.

some1else

1. Its really not appropiate for an employer to be asking for "donations" from its employees -- makes people feel that they have to even if they dont want to or cant / see above comment "just give 10$"

2. Even united way realizes this and has campaign policy guidelines saying no making "100% giving" a goal

3. For me the literal red bloody line in the sand. United way gives money to the baby killers. I will not have the blood of unborn babies on my hands to make ups happy.

I am more than happy to sit in and talk to my manager about planned parent hood, margaret sanger, and eugenics all day long.

bill blutnach

if you could give them dis bull you could feed many families yes?