United Way Columbia - Willamette

oldngray

nowhere special
All donations go to general fund and if something is earmarked for a particular charity that comes from the general fund. That charity might have its normal funding reduced by the amount of a specific donation. Just accounting games. In one pocket and out the other. Being able to claim your donations are only going to your designated charity is a myth.

beentheredonethat

A one-time donation of $1 would ensure 100% participation, would get your sup off your back and would not break your bank. Just sayin'.
Other then a number, why is it important for 100% participation? I do believe in helping those in need. However, I think I should be able to decide what charity to help. My dad died from cancer and I have a sister with breast cancer and still fighting the good fight. I want my money to go there. To me, United Way is a good place to donate since it's easy and it can give money to a lot of charities. It's great for people who want to contribute but not sure how. However, to force people to give I don't think is right. Even if it is for 1 dollar.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I found out about the "100%" will go to the charity scam a couple of years ago. They promised a song and dance, and I went for it. Found out that my charity didn't get the 100%, so I stopped giving to UW, and now give direct. Same thing, I still get the donation on my taxes......

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm fairly certain that your previous employer has not had $1B in cumulative contributions.

The 15% match was added recently in response to concern over administrative fees.
The company I'm referring to gives over $70M annually in charitable contributions NOT counting what individual employees give to the United Way and others. The company has been around for decades, so yes, I'm sure it's cumulative contributions have exceeded $1B.