United Way Donations

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I give $20/week.

well_la_dee_fricken_da.gif

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
My advice to anyone is to not give a dime to the United Way.

They (the United Way) brought in a soldier to our location a while back who unfortunately lost his legs on a tour in the Middle East a few years ago. The soldier was being represented by a charity, but it was the United Way that was doing the shakedowns for his charity.

Fast forward two days later, here comes the overbearing blowhard center manager shoving the paper in my face and telling me to help the man.

I proceeded to tell the center manager that I thought that the UW is a terrorist cartel that would take upwards of 20% of what I donated to this disabled soldier for "administrative costs" such as the CEO's massive salary.

I checked the "I do not wish to give at this time" box and proceeded to donate directly to the soldiers charity.

The way this company's management handles the united way drive sort of reminds me of this (redact "voting", replace "government" with "management").

penn-jillette-charity-copy.png

upschuck

I wonder if I designate all money go to charity A, does charity A actually get any more money than if I had not designated charity A to get my money? By that, I mean does all money not designated, get x amount not contributed to charity A effectively getting the same amount to charity A if I designated or not. Sneaky way for UW to make people think they are helping a specific charity and getting more monies.

Waste Manager

Please give your money to a small,local charity...100% goes to their cause..UW has a massive payroll..and the top brass earn far more than they ''should""...
You do not have to give to UW thru UPS...the supervisors,managers,etc..are being pressured from above to meet whatever 'goals' have been presented.
And no...even if you give to UW,and designate a local charity to receive those funds..they do not receive ALL of the funds...better to give directly to that local charity..
I know this from working with local charities....while they appreciate any funds,they sure could use 100% of the money you donate..as most local charities are volunteer run.

BrownBrokeDown

Upstate, it is no business of any UPS managements what I do with my money, or why I do it. It is no different then they have no business knowing political party, religion, what I am doing on my day off, who I am having sex with, etc. They may think they control our lives, but they don't.

JackStraw

Read somewhere that the head of united Way makes 1.2 mil per year. That don't sound like no charity to me. Our center manager was real nice when he was asking everybody for a donation. Next week, someone will get a warning letter for not blowing the horn, or forgetting to put their 4-ways on while parked on a cul-de-sac. Stop with the nickel-dime, ticky-tack, micro-management and take all drivers off notice then maybe I'll go back to giving my $1 per week. Otherwise go try to extort someone else.

Johney

Only the second time I've heard that word used.
Pretty :censored2:ty post saying that there are very few people that are less fortunate than you, very obtuse. Most of us on this message board forum are men of the streets. We live and breathe the reality of the people we drive past, step over, and the people to whom we deliver, we are fortunate and I hope compassionate.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Read somewhere that the head of united Way makes 1.2 mil per year. That don't sound like no charity to me. Our center manager was real nice when he was asking everybody for a donation. Next week, someone will get a warning letter for not blowing the horn, or forgetting to put their 4-ways on while parked on a cul-de-sac. Stop with the nickel-dime, ticky-tack, micro-management and take all drivers off notice then maybe I'll go back to giving my $1 per week. Otherwise go try to extort someone else.

Exactly this. I was president & CEO of a 501c3 charitable organization for two years.

You know how much I collected in salary? A plaque thanking me for my service and my picture in a local newspaper.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Pretty :censored2:ty post saying that there are very few people that are less fortunate than you, very obtuse. Most of us on this message board forum are men of the streets. We live and breathe the reality of the people we drive past, step over, and the people to whom we deliver, we are fortunate and I hope compassionate.
I'm not fortunate. My wife an I busted our asses and sacrficed a ton to be where we are.

When you GIVE someone something or NOTHING you enable that's all you do. If I was to lazy to put pen to paper to apply to ups in the first place does that make me less fortunate?

Want to eat? Plant a garden. The Amish barely have a pot to piss in yet they are all self sufficient.

Drink Craft Beer

So yesturday I was kinda guilted into donating a fraction of my paycheck to United Way. I don't mind donating but id rather donated 1 or 2 dollars a pay check and not what my fulltime wanted me to put. I remeber him saying that I can change it so im curious to where can I change the ammount that I donate out of my paycheck each week?
Haven't read all the responses but in case someone hasn't mentioned it, UPS takes a % of that donation to the United way. So you're basically giving them a little money back that you worked for.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Whenever I am feeling bad about myself, I come to Brown Cafe and that usually helps.
If I find a United Way thread, I really feel good about myself.
These are some of the stupidest and most ignorant posts I have read on BC.

Feeling Good about myself after 10 minutes of reading this crap. :angel: