United Way Donations

Future

Victory Ride
Heard alot of stories about the United Way.....about how much of our donations really go to help people....it wasnt good......I donate to a specific organization where i know 100% the money is reaching needy!

O

OLDMAN3

Too Techie: This does not address the issue of designated contributions increasing or not increasing total grants to a particular charity. The board determines charity X needs $100,000 this year in funding. Designated contributions specifically naming charity X come in at $20,000. Charity X receives $100,000 from the United Way, not $120,000. The $20,000 in designated funding simply frees up $20,000 to give to another not so worthy charity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm not here to say what the united way does or doesn't do but I do find it funny that some of you just believe what ever they tell you.

I know a Nigerian prince who would love to make you a millionaire.

Bottom rung

Whenever I am feeling bad about myself, I come to Brown Cafe and that usually helps.
If I find a United Way thread, I really feel good about myself.
These are some of the stupidest and most ignorant posts I have read on BC.

Feeling Good about myself after 10 minutes of reading this crap. :angel:
You wouldn't feel bad about yourself if you'd have earned your money the way most people do. Instead you sold your soul and clearly, still have the guilty conscience. I feel bad for you. Just because someone doesn't agree with the company's view on charity doesn't make them the bad person you think it does. I applaud the hard working folks that have the brass to stand up and say no, while their arm is being twisted to donate to someone's slush fund. They are retaliated against day after day for their decisions and hold fast against managements abuse. I'm actually surprised you would say such a thing but I'm new here so I don't know your whole story. That being said I hope you find peace with the demon that inside you.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Haven't read all the responses but in case someone hasn't mentioned it, UPS takes a % of that donation to the United way. So you're basically giving them a little money back that you worked for.
Yeah that's illegal. I think you need to read a little bit more into the program before making uniformed comments.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You wouldn't feel bad about yourself if you'd have earned your money the way most people do. Instead you sold your soul and clearly, still have the guilty conscience. I feel bad for you. Just because someone doesn't agree with the company's view on charity doesn't make them the bad person you think it does. I applaud the hard working folks that have the brass to stand up and say no, while their arm is being twisted to donate to someone's slush fund. They are retaliated against day after day for their decisions and hold fast against managements abuse. I'm actually surprised you would say such a thing but I'm new here so I don't know your whole story. That being said I hope you find peace with the demon that inside you.
I'm working on it ... thanks.
Everytime i hear "sold your soul" it helps ... I feel a little bit better about myself.
That is is such a dumb, stupid saying and concept and implies a low level of intelligence.
Thanks, feeling better.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm working on it ... thanks.
Everytime i hear "sold your soul" it helps ... I feel a little bit better about myself.
That is is such a dumb, stupid saying and concept and implies a low level of intelligence.
Thanks, feeling better.

Sold your soul? I heard the devil went down to Georgia looking for some souls.

jr32bad

Due you call united way when your house is on fire or you need a cop ? That's where my money stays where I live local friend ups and united way

UPSGUY72

Just ask your Human resource person to cancel the Drive withdrawal from your pay check that what I did.

I up my United way donation this time due to the Fact that the in my area the United Way made it so if we wanted we could have are donation going directly to a fellow UPS driver that got injured. Instead of a general cause.

Just a not the I believe he was a feeder driver and not directly in my area but in my state.

BrownBrokeDown

Photog, just an fyi. Not all of us that are against UPS harassment tactic to get us to donate to United Way, or against United Way themselves, are against charities. I just want you to understand that. UPS lower level management sometimes does carry it to a harassment level when approaching for donations. In addition to that the United Way is 1 of 2 "charities" I will never donate to again. United Way is handled as a business. The compensations including the insurance/pensions is not appropiate in a charity setting. Now if it was a business, I would say it was on par with the work, but it's not a business...is it?
The other charity is Red Cross. I have seen the issues (which I will not go into on the internet) from both someone donating time, and multiple people on the receiving end due to a natural disaster. It is more money efficient to directly donate in a case like this either directly to an individual or to a local entity that has been set up for the disaster.
People should research and then directly donate to the charities of choice. That way there is no administration fees/salaries/advertisement funds/etc pulled out of the money before it reaches the chosen charity. The charity benifits by getting more money out of the same amount donated by you.