United Way force donations coming soon for 2011.

Damangp

I use to always donate to united way but last year I found out a good amount of pt sups didn't even get the slips and when Jan came they was donating $2 a week. Also, a few drivers that told there center manager no now sees a $1 a week taking out of there check. But the one I found more messed up was a full-time sup forging a one time payment for $100 on one of his pt union workers. I won't say to not donate but don't be forced to do so besides when they present the check to united way they says it's from UPS not from the WORKERS of ups.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS is predicting a total donation for 2011 to exceed $1B. That is simply amazing to me.

I have to admit that I have never been pressured to give nor have I experienced any of the intimidation described by other members. If I had my opinion on this would not be the same.

I plan to increase my donation this year.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
UPS is predicting a total donation for 2011 to exceed $1B. That is simply amazing to me.

I have to admit that I have never been pressured to give nor have I experienced any of the intimidation described by other members. If I had my opinion on this would not be the same.

I plan to increase my donation this year.
You must live in Willoughby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Stop_at_Willoughby ). MGMT used to try and twist my arm, but for the last few years they just take my NO THANKS, and move on.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I had an OMS do the same to me, I chose not to donate to United Way because I want to pick where my money goes. She forged my card to a $1 a week donation. She almost lost her job after I took it to the C/M it took 7 weeks to get the deductions stopped and she gave me my $7 back out of her own pocket. I could have cared less about the $7 but it's the principle of it! She eventually was fired for dishonesty!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Is it a noble and socially responsible act to donate to charity? Yes.

Is it a noble and socially responsible act to coerce and harrass your employees into donating to charity so that you meet some sort of quota established by your Corporate masters? No.

I choose to donate $10 a week thru payroll deduct to United Way...but there have been a couple of times when the strong-arm tactics got to a point that almost caused me to stop.

I'd like to see a system whereby the company agrees to match whatever the employees contribute, with some sort of friendly competition between centers or work groups as to who donates the most. Or pehaps the company and the IBT could set aside their differences and work together to increase donations. I am all for supporting a worthwhile charity and I applaud UPS for its support of United Way but the guilt trips, pressure tactics and overt pressure need to stop.

bluehdmc

I would donate, but there was a discussion hee about a year ago that listed the salaries some of the charity heads make.
If I recall the head of United Way made $750K annually, (plus I'm sure he gets hotel's paid for, flights, and the accompanying bonus miles and other perks.)
The head of the American Cancer Society was supposed to make $3 mill a year, I feel these salaries are unconscionable. These are more than the President of the US makes.
Maybe if they made more reasonable salaries they'll get my money.

bigbrownhen

In the grand scheme of things, it is a worthy charity. I will donate as I always have. The good that is achieved is far greater than any annoyance that may come from corporate. If I recall, you can specify where your money goes. Mine will go to a childrens charity. I know from people who have worked with them how much good they do for abused children.

Good idea about the competition to increase donations Sober.

klein

Für Meno :)
In the end, what is the benifit of donating thru UPS payroll or your very own private donations ?
You can simply get United Way to debit your checking account every week, or month instead.

I understand thta some of you are so proud of UPS, that you'ld rather have UPS get the credit for handing them over millions each year.

Again, in the end, it only comes down to statistics when Charities, such as United Way, publish thier incomming donation numbers.
And, you'll even see a percentage of how much was corporate donated and how much public.

So, the question is, does UPS even match 10cents to your dollar ? And if not, what is the big benefit donating thru them ?

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
To piss of management this year I will donate to the united way, just not through UPS. Why should a company that give no charity to its employees, get my money in its name to make it look good. i really encourage all hourly employees to donate to the united way but using the united way's website not ups.

ismahchyk

Socks....

The TRUEST act of charity

Is the one that goes unnoted......

I always admired UPS's commitment to charitable works. HOWEVER when I wasn't on the clock it was absolutely none of UPS's business what charities I chose to give to....

trickpony1

To the people that do not donate..... I HOPE YOU NEED THE UNITED WAY ONE DAY.

....nice try but that's not gonna work either.
I know two drivers that had events occur in their lives that would have warranted the services (charity) of the UW and they were told they make too much money.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
To the people that do not donate..... I HOPE YOU NEED THE UNITED WAY ONE DAY.

My spin on what socks wrote.
Look, if you choose to give or not give to the United Way, ultimately it is your call.
I never thought I would benefit from the United Way and I was wrong.
I discovered the Hospice in my area receives the largest chunk of the United Way money.
I donated to the Hospice in lieu of flowers when a co-worker lost his Grandmother to Pancreatic Cancer.
I was placed on the mailing list because I donated.
This is the same Hospice that provided my Father's end of life care at home with compassion and dignity.
This was a surprise for me.

Your choice to give or not to give.
I pray you are never in a situation where you need the assistance of a United Way supported agency.
It could be a food bank, a senior day care for dementia or Alzheimer's, a wheel chair ramp to your home or a hospice for end life care for a loved one.
I want you to know, these agencies will still be there for you and your family...even if you don't give.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
....nice try but that's not gonna work either.
I know two drivers that had events occur in their lives that would have warranted the services (charity) of the UW and they were told they make too much money.

Please be more specfic in the denial of assistance.
The United Way supports agencies. The United Way does not give out loans nor do they control the agencies they assist.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

aj is right--United Way merely collects and disperses the funds to it's member charities. Each charity has their own guidelines and, yes, it is quite possible that we make too much money to be eligible for their assistance. This should not deter anyone from donating as you are helping those who are truly less fortunate.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Okay...give or don't give.

I will continue to give of myself, sweat equity and my paycheck, raw dollars, to the United Way and an agency supported by the United Way.

I provide sweat equity by mowing the lawn, deicing the sidewalk and shoveling snow, all for a 82 year old lady, named Grace, because of an agency supported by the United Way.
Why? As long as I have the gift of walking and strength...I will do for others, what I may need others to do for me someday, because I have MS.

Raw dollars to the United Way from each paycheck because I can and I am working. I can't give it all to the MS Society, even though the temptation seduces me.

If there is a specific organization, you would like your dollars to benefit, I am willing to do the research for ANYONE to assist in directing your contribution, if your choose to give or are just curious and you want to challenge me.

Damangp

:I the whole point of this post is not to support not giving to united way please do so if you can spare it your all right its a great charity. But its very disrespectful when the manager comes up to peoplwe and says " write down your donation and dont even think of saying no or else".

tourists24

Ive never liked the way UPS runs it's campaign. Charity should be from the heart, not out of guilt. I have charities I give to. Very few people ever know about it except the people directly involved. That's the way I will keep it