United Way force donations coming soon for 2011.

paidover95

We had a driver in our building whos house burned to the ground.The united way never helped him in any way.So because of that I dont donate anything anymore.

tieguy

Banned
We had a driver in our building whos house burned to the ground.The united way never helped him in any way.So because of that I dont donate anything anymore.

common excuse . Well gee whiz I know united ways funds helps millions of people but it didnt help this one guy I know. If you want to be cheap you can always find a reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about the Red Cross or his homeowner insurance? The Red Cross provides short term assistance and your homeowner insurance should contain provisions to do the same.

Just curious, what did he expect the UW to do in this case?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
What UPS does or doesn't do should have nothiing to do with how much you give. Do you want to help the less fortunate or not? If you were less fortunate I am sure you would want help. Where do you think the help comes from? Like I tell everyone, one day you might need a organization funded by the United Way. How will you feel knowing you did not give..

UPSSOCKS is absolutely right!!!

Here in NC, "Additional Services" are over and above what we pay for in taxes.
PSNC told me personally that the Speech Therapy that my daughter went through a few years ago was not budgeted in their school system.
United Way was there to pick up the thousands that it probably cost over the few years that we used it.
She's great now and we caught a possible issue early.

I continue to pay them back.

I have trust that the United Way allocates funds fairly and they don't pocket too much.
Their Exec's need to be paid what they are to attract the type of people that can attract and manage billions of dollars.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
you bible bangers need to give more more more,, me,, i give nothing,, thats beer money

jimstud

Banned
That's so funny, way to make fun of a charitable organization. Does that make you feel good? I hope you need assistance one day from an organization supported by the United Way. Then we will see how "lol" it is.......

no what is funny is supervisors getting recognition for money their workers give. now that is funny. by the way isn't there a no solicitation rule at ups? but then rules don't apply to supervisors do they ?

UPSSOCKS

no what is funny is supervisors getting recognition for money their workers give. now that is funny. by the way isn't there a no solicitation rule at ups? but then rules don't apply to supervisors do they ?

Rules don't apply to the guy making the rules...

whiskey

My spin on what socks wrote.
Look, if you choose to give or not give to the United Way, ultimately it is your call.
I never thought I would benefit from the United Way and I was wrong.
I discovered the Hospice in my area receives the largest chunk of the United Way money.
I donated to the Hospice in lieu of flowers when a co-worker lost his Grandmother to Pancreatic Cancer.
I was placed on the mailing list because I donated.
This is the same Hospice that provided my Father's end of life care at home with compassion and dignity.
This was a surprise for me.

Your choice to give or not to give.
I pray you are never in a situation where you need the assistance of a United Way supported agency.
It could be a food bank, a senior day care for dementia or Alzheimer's, a wheel chair ramp to your home or a hospice for end life care for a loved one.
I want you to know, these agencies will still be there for you and your family...even if you don't give.

Your right, the guilt trip spin is much more soothing than Tie's UPS fear based management angle.
Have given plenty in the past. No longer participate.

Damangp

Lol you guys missing the point. Please guys give to united way. But i want to choose to donate and if i say an amount and thats final, not have my supervisor saying " come on you can donate more then that" over and over again. Last year i put down $10 a week ans my supervisor brought my center manager and division manger to try to raise me to $25 a week ! I mean really ? Its suppose to come from my heart not be forced.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Lol you guys missing the point. Please guys give to united way. But i want to choose to donate and if i say an amount and thats final, not have my supervisor saying " come on you can donate more then that" over and over again. Last year i put down $10 a week ans my supervisor brought my center manager and division manger to try to raise me to $25 a week ! I mean really ? Its suppose to come from my heart not be forced.
They'll always want more. Look at sales leads, for instance.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Your right, the guilt trip spin is much more soothing than Tie's UPS fear based management angle.
Have given plenty in the past. No longer participate.

Your right. I will tell that to my father-in-law. He has never given and feels that the UW is a waste of time.

Right now, my father-in-law, the cheapmizer, is sitting at a Amvet Post, cracking jokes with other WWII vets.
Because, his daughter-in-law, found respite care or a babysitter for my mother-in-law, with dementia because a UW Agency pointed me in the right direction.

My father-in-law is a filthy rich bastard. He will has never given to any organization. He refuses to even sponser me on a MS walk. He could pay for this respite care, out of pocket, but he is a foolish old man.

Instead, my husband and I pay a simple $20 for a four hour stretch of care - to provide US with a break from the stress of being care givers. And tonight, I am being billed by a transport company to get that cheap bastard out of the house and for a caregiver to assist his wife or my mother-in-law in their home.

The agency receives funding from the United Way.

So for the guilt trip...stick it.
It won't work on the cheap bastard, so why would guilt work on you or anyone else.

And when I say, United Way Agencies will still be there for you, regardless if you give or not give...my father-in-law is absolutely NOT WORTHY of help.

So before you slam the door on the United Way...freaking do some GD research.
I really am tired of people pissing all over the United Way.
Give or don't give.

I will still purchase Girl Scout Cookies from your daughter or grandchild. Those coupon book's that I never use, you can sign me up for one. Oh, you're walking in a 5k walk....of course, I will sponser you. Etc, etc, etc

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I'd gladly give a dollar to a needy person, but I fight like h**l if they tried to take it from me. That's the problem here. They try to take it by trying to force people to give more. People will give what they feel is appropriate if you give them the opportunity. Isnt that what it's supposed to be?

tieguy

Banned
I havent seen anyone get browbeat over uw in a long time. If anything we are very low key now . yet the excuses keep coming. new boss , old boss can't afford it etc. Same bull**** excuses even though the management tactics have certainly become less aggressive.

I really just wish you guys would be honest about it. go down to the homeless center, or muscular dystrophy building or march of dimes chapter or disabled veterans chapter look em in the eye and tell them to go screw theirselves cause you're too cheap to help them out.

UPSSOCKS

I havent seen anyone get browbeat over uw in a long time. If anything we are very low key now . yet the excuses keep coming. new boss , old boss can't afford it etc. Same bull**** excuses even though the management tactics have certainly become less aggressive.

I really just wish you guys would be honest about it. go down to the homeless center, or muscular dystrophy building or march of dimes chapter or disabled veterans chapter look em in the eye and tell them to go screw theirselves cause you're too cheap to help them out.

Well put Tie. That's what it is all about. If Johnny Union was walking around asking for these donations, people would be emptying their wallets. It's always about management with these people. It's very telling, they would rather someone in need suffer just to prove a point to management..

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Well put Tie. That's what it is all about. If Johnny Union was walking around asking for these donations, people would be emptying their wallets. It's always about management with these people. It's very telling, they would rather someone in need suffer just to prove a point to management..
If you actually believe that I've got some real estate you might be interested in...