United Way Fund ?

local804

It's not a contract.

Now as far opinions, I believe if he signed a pledge card for this calendar year, he should honor it.

Step off Upstate.

Circumstances change daily including income and your budget. If he was making 10 hours a week overtime last year when he pledged and now he is 8 and skate, maybe he just cant afford the $20.00 a week he was giving. UPS is tighening its belt, so are the drivers. He can stop the pledge if he wants to, it has been done in the past, and by many.

Do they guys who are laid off have to pay? lol

Never donate to the United Way especially to make Ups look good or for management bonuses. If you need a tax write-off donate somewhere else or to a npo who charity money actually goes to charity. The money you donate from your paycheck to the ups united way is not going to save you significant money on your tax returns anyway. Did you knoiw most ups management is required to volunteer or retire to the united way or its functions anyway?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did you knoiw most ups management is required to volunteer or retire to the united way or its functions anyway?

36 years at UPS and I learn something new everyday. Just yesterday I learn that the Mgt Committee are required to eat Kiwi fruit for breakfast every morning. Big Kiwis too!!!

I understand one of them is actually a BC member named Squeeze the Kiwis.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am inclined to agree with you (it is a contract).

We don't agree, imagine that.
I think it's a pledge and not a contract.
Ultimately it will be his decision to honor or renege on it without repercussion.
We do agree, if I read you right, that if it was a pledge made free of duress this calender year he should live up to the pledge.
Notable exception would be in the case of an unforeseen financial hardship.
Tag your it.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I wonder how many management people have decided to cut their contributions to united way now that they have had their pay frozen?

You can get out of it like other have said, just notify your management team and it should stop.

New Englander

The OP signed a pledge card which is, in effect, a contract between the employee and employer to have a predetermined amount taken out of his paycheck on a weekly basis. Now, if UPS is taking out too much, in essence not following the contract, then the employee has a beef, but if they are simply following the contract then I don't think there is anything that the employee can do.

On the bright side, the total pledged amount can be written off on your 2009 taxes and you are helping someone less fortunate.

My seniority date is 09/03, I am just missing layoff and probably will be soon. We were just told UPS is not honoring the contract. I will not get 8 straight hours and I will not get the top pay matching the most senior PT employee (red circled). I will get my part time rated based upon my tenure.

Grievances are filed but it will be dragged out.

I donated 28.12hr to UW this year weekly. I should have to honor that when my paychecks get cut by more then half and have to commute an extra hour each day? I was the top in the state for donating.

Though sorry...my family comes first. Thanks to UPS I can now remember that for the future.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was not the point of the OP and I most certainly can understand if your financial situation has changed. I would also stop my UW withdrawal if I was on layoff or if my hours were reduced. This was not the point of this thread. The OP was complaining that UPS was taking too much out of his check for UW.

greeny

I went to HR years ago to cancel my UW cont. last year they put me in the building for lack of volume.when they asked for my UW don. i pulled the inside of my pockets out and said "sorry no volume".ask yourself how can a comp. who can care less about you or your family care about someone else?i hear its a huge tax writeoff for them.funny how the "NO SOLICITATION" RULE DOESNT APPLY TO UW.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
The OP signed a pledge card which is, in effect, a contract between the employee and employer to have a predetermined amount taken out of his paycheck on a weekly basis. Now, if UPS is taking out too much, in essence not following the contract, then the employee has a beef, but if they are simply following the contract then I don't think there is anything that the employee can do.

On the bright side, the total pledged amount can be written off on your 2009 taxes and you are helping someone less fortunate.
This is not a contract it is an agreement. At any time you can choose to stop making charitable donations. The management team will not like it because they are forced to solicit as much as they can. Be prepared, your supes are not going to like it and they might mess with you but be strong and don't let them intimidate you.

kingOFchester

Does anyone here know how to use the internet? All of this arguing could be resolved by a few searches and cross check for legitimacy and authenticity. Took me all of 5 minutes to find the answer. Of course it will vary from state to state. But the short answer is this:
YES, it is a contract. You are obligated to pay. If you stop paying on a pledge, you could be taken to court where cases have been won by the charities.
It is law that a pledge may be a legal binding document. Which states would enforce this law may be another thing.

Google, its a good thing when used properly. Again, make sure you do research b4 jumping on the first thing you find. Try to confirm your findings.

New Englander

As of yet I have not been laid off. If I don't they keep their pledge. If I am...they lose it, sue me.

I'm sure the UW would love that publicity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does anyone here know how to use the internet? All of this arguing could be resolved by a few searches and cross check for legitimacy and authenticity. Took me all of 5 minutes to find the answer.

Google, its a good thing when used properly. Again, make sure you do research b4 jumping on the first thing you find. Try to confirm your findings.

That's no fun ... opinions are much better and made up crap is even better.
Intelligent responses and being correct are way over rated!

gandydancer

Does anyone here know how to use the internet? All of this arguing could be resolved by a few searches and cross check for legitimacy and authenticity. Took me all of 5 minutes to find the answer. Of course it will vary from state to state. But the short answer is this:
YES, it is a contract. You are obligated to pay. If you stop paying on a pledge, you could be taken to court where cases have been won by the charities.
It is law that a pledge may be a legal binding document. Which states would enforce this law may be another thing...

Yes, I know how to use the internet. Do you?

The answer is that while a pledge MAY be legally binding, the OP's pledge to UW is NOT due to the absence of consideration. Or, as I told you in my first post, "In order for a contract to be binding both parties must receive something of tangible value in the exchange. The OP did not."

"Since a pledge is a contract, all of the elements of a contract - offer, acceptance and consideration - must be reflected in the writing. If any of them is missing, the contract is invalid and unenforceable.
1. Offer. The promise by the donor to contribute funds constitutes the offer...

2. Acceptance. An express acceptance, included as part of or attached to the pledge and signed by the charitable donee, is preferable to mere delivery of the pledge to the donee (as the latter requires proof).

3. Consideration. Consideration is the element most likely to be problematic in the context of charitable pledges...

Consideration must pass from the donor to charity and also from charity to the donor. The consideration from the donor to charity is simply the promise to pay the amount pledged. The consideration from charity to the donor is frequently more difficult to prove and, in fact, may not exist... The benefits conferred on the donor or prejudice suffered by charity must serve as an inducement to the donor to make his or her pledge.
A common example of valid consideration passing from charity to the donor is the naming of a building after the donor, or other donor recognition..." ( https://web.archive.org/web/20061120112508/http://www.msk.com/csl_files/325308.pdf )

The OP wasn't promised anything in return for his pledge. Not a building named, or even Employee of the Week recognition. He authorized UPS to take money out of his check. If he tells UPS that it is not authorized to do so anymore then UPS is liable to him for any unauthorized deductions and in fact would be liable to him for those deductions even if he were later found liable to the UW for his pledge since UPS has no authority to enforce any UW claim against him. And UW doesn't have a valid claim, anyway. No consideration means no (binding) contract. For the fifth time, NO CONSIDERATION MEANS NO CONTRACT! Sheesh.