United Way Harassment

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I donate 10 dollars a week, will probably increase once I hit top scale .
image.jpg

Overpaid Union Thug

My center is having their United Way drive this month and I chose to donate nothing, for a number of reasons. Well, the supervisors didn't have the testicular fortitude to ask me to reconsider to my face, so they recruited the shop steward. Not only did the shop steward hound me about it, but in his United Way pitch there was a veiled threat. I was told a donation could "alleviate some pressure in other places." Do I have any recourse from here or basically just watch my butt?
Grab a witness that can watch you fill out "0" on the form and watch your paychecks closely at the beginning of next year. You might need both the witness and a copy of the form should you have a management team that easily succumbs to the pressure to meet a metric. And make no mistake about it. This United Way push is about a metric. Not helping people.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I give clothes and furniture to Goodwill which can be written off the same way as a cash donation. I'll be totally honest, I do it because it's stuff that didn't sell at a garage sale and I'd just throw it out. I take pictures of all items and you can go to the goodwill website to get dollar figures on the items. It mainly helps me but also helps someone else who can use my second hand stuff, Goodwill who uses the funds to help others, and keeps items out of the landfill. Everyone wins.

ResetMetro

You don't have to donate and you don't have to give them a reason why your not. Just tell them that at this time you don't want to donate. If your shop steward ask you again I'd call your business agent and let them know what is going on.

Call your BA regardless so there is no need for it to happen again

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The only reason a steward should be talking to you about the United Way is if your Local's scholarship fund is registered with Way and he's telling you that you can direct your contributions to the Local's scholarship fund. That's it. He should not have passed along the harassment. He should have instead filed a harassment grievance on your behalf. Then if the center manager applied "pressure" you could have filed for retaliation.

BigBrown609

17 cents of every dollar donated doesn't see any charity and the CEO makes over $717k/year. Sorry, not getting my money. I'll keep donating to ACTUAL non profit organizations

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Grab a witness that can watch you fill out "0" on the form and watch your paychecks closely at the beginning of next year. You might need both the witness and a copy of the form should you have a management team that easily succumbs to the pressure to meet a metric. And make no mistake about it. This United Way push is about a metric. Not helping people.
It's all about metrics....big charity is no different than UPS the big brown bully. Two bullies looking to extort something for nothing.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
They pressure you because the company gets a cut of the donation.

Tell them you already donate to the "Human Fund"
Bullsh^t.

Your money goes exactly to any organization you choose.
I know this because I receive a receipt every month from the two organizations my leadership donation is directed.

UPS cuts check to MS Foundation and an organization in Chicago Cachsux brought to my attention.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
My center is having their United Way drive this month and I chose to donate nothing, for a number of reasons. Well, the supervisors didn't have the testicular fortitude to ask me to reconsider to my face, so they recruited the shop steward. Not only did the shop steward hound me about it, but in his United Way pitch there was a veiled threat. I was told a donation could "alleviate some pressure in other places." Do I have any recourse from here or basically just watch my butt?

Man, your shop steward :censored2:ing sucks. Someone needs to "alleviate the pressure" in his skull with a blunt object.