United Way Intimidation

tieguy

Banned
Tie - it's not just about how much funding comes in, but what you do with that funding. I support Food For The Poor, because they have an impressive 96% going directly to the poor. Less than 4% overhead
http://foodforthepoor.org/

Here is an interesting article about United Way and how it operates. It is a "franchise-like" atmosphere. I personally choose not to support United Way because there are too many instances of them supporting abortion funding and contraception practices indirectly (sometimes also blatantly). Also, a quick bit of research showed the lowest overhead I could find was 11% in some New York area, 12% in a Minnesota area, but I was surprised to find that upwards to 30% overhead is an accepted number! I think it's a crime to create that much unnecessary overhead.

http://www.all.org/article.php?id=10106

your is also a good charity that has managed to set up a variety of pipelines to fund it. Not sure about that 96 percent number. It does cost money to make money even in the charity business.

Toshiro Hitsugaya

no i blindly follow my conscience which tells me my good fortune in having a healthy body and a good paying job requires I help those less fortunate. I'm not here to cry and whine that someone expects me to help out my community.I'm not here to try to suck up to the company bashers by telling them what a great guy i am as you are trying to do.

and if that conversation took place with your boss as you claim i definitely would not be here admitting I was stupid enough to believe him.

Let me give you some advice as an alleged leader of this company. Stop whining , stop making excuses get off your ass and start leading someone.

So if you blindly follow your conscience on the new pledge cards choose another organization besides UW, here one that helps out a lot Little Brothers and Little Sisters of the Elderly, Habitat for Humanity, Eastern Service Workers Assoc your local PAL or Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Feed America, Salvation Army, your local women's shelter for abused and batter women or any number of local food banks who in my honest opinion does a better job of getting the food out to the people who need it than UW. The list goes on and on. I was never crying just stating the facts that happen in my building, second I never said I believed my manager which by the way is a her. Honestly, I could care less what people here think of me, I joined this site to connect with other UPSers through the NA as well as our international family who shares the same ideas that I might have. I am not here to bash anybody nor brag that I am a great guy cause I have my flaws, but don't we all. Now I know I will not agree with what everybody says and vice versa, who knows several threads down the line we maybe on the same page or we could be going for round 2,3 or 4 who knows who cares. Obiviously, your feeling are strong and you feel hurt by the people who do not believe in giving to UW or otherwise you would not be making such a big stink about it. Everybody marches to their own drum even if their drum is copying somebodies elses, but thats life no need to get bent out of shape.

This thread was unless intimidation means something else in the Webster and Oxford dictionaries about UW intimidation and the tatics UPS and UW use and as I said before I am only stating what i experienced. On that note, I will say everybody who is going to the UPS/UW Great Adventure day on Aug 20th have fun, maybe I'll see you guys at Hershey Park

P

pickup

So if you blindly follow your conscience on the new pledge cards choose another organization besides UW, here one that helps out a lot Little Brothers and Little Sisters of the Elderly, Habitat for Humanity, Eastern Service Workers Assoc your local PAL or Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Feed America, Salvation Army, your local women's shelter for abused and batter women or any number of local food banks who in my honest opinion does a better job of getting the food out to the people who need it than UW. The list goes on and on.

I was never crying just stating the facts that happen in my building, second I never said I believed my manager which by the way is a her. Honestly, I could care less what people here think of me, I joined this site to connect with other UPSers through the NA as well as our international family who shares the same ideas that I might have. I am not here to bash anybody nor brag that I am a great guy cause I have my flaws, but don't we all.

Now I know I will not agree with what everybody says and vice versa, who knows several threads down the line we maybe on the same page or we could be going for round 2,3 or 4 who knows who cares. Obiviously, your feeling are strong and you feel hurt by the people who do not believe in giving to UW or otherwise you would not be making such a big stink about it. Everybody marches to their own drum even if their drum is copying somebodies elses, but thats life no need to get bent out of shape.

This thread was unless intimidation means something else in the Webster and Oxford dictionaries about UW intimidation and the tatics UPS and UW use and as I said before I am only stating what i experienced. On that note, I will say everybody who is going to the UPS/UW Great Adventure day on Aug 20th have fun, maybe I'll see you guys at Hershey Park

Toshiro, I just broke up your post, which one is easier to read? I am just trying to show you that with a couple of taps on the "return" key , a post can be made more readable. .:happy2:

mech1

I'm not arguing that point . you guys really should try reading what I say.

crowbar claims his charity raises a lot of money without the help of any professional fund raising organization like united way and without doing any advertising or fund raising of its own. I'm excited to hear who this miracle organization is.

The roman chatholic chruch's combined through out the world raise more money to help there commuity's and do not not get a six figure salary and are not pressured to make numbers.They give so much and take nothing in return Thats charity.

hypocrisy

Banned
this is my favorite post of yours. Care to produce or slink away in the shadows caught in a lie?

Funny, Tie, my inbox is still empty. I would have thought your contact information would have been sent by now.

Tell you what: Put your money where your mouth is. Send me a signed, $100 check with the payee empty. I'll fill in my charity's name and you'll have it when your bank returns your cancelled check.

hypocrisy

Banned
I'm not arguing that point . you guys really should try reading what I say.

crowbar claims his charity raises a lot of money without the help of any professional fund raising organization like united way and without doing any advertising or fund raising of its own. I'm excited to hear who this miracle organization is.

And you should try reading what I say instead of listening to your own chest thumping. I said my charity has plenty of funding, not "a lot of money", or "massive funding". I also said my charity has enough funding to significantly help the local community in which it serves. It doesn't take a huge high revenue fundraising organization to help a local community.

The funny thing is I actually found out about this charity when they gave me money unsolicited. I was having a garage sale and had many items for free. This lady selected some items and even though they were free wanted to 'donate' a small amount to my sale. She explained what she was going to do with these items and I asked her a lot of questions. I was impressed with her answers and since then all of my charitable donations have gone to this organization. They are a registered 501(c)(3) charitable organization, and in my opinion a model for how charitable organizations should be run.

So where's that check Tie?

hypocrisy

Banned
your is also a good charity that has managed to set up a variety of pipelines to fund it. Not sure about that 96 percent number. It does cost money to make money even in the charity business.

It doesn't have to and you've again made another point as to why I will never contribute to UW through UPS or otherwise. Charity is not, and should never be, a business. It should be people donating their time to the organization and coming together to cover it's costs, and other people donating their money or clothes/cars/food etc to provide the organization with the means to help it's intended recipients.

Where's that check Tie?

klein

Für Meno :)
I could think of a few charities that don't have overhead costs.
The company sponsored ones, like the Ronnie MacDonald Fund, or Dairy Queen Blizzard fund, Safeway cure for cancer, Microsoft, probably another one.
They also have a few school programs, like backpacks for kids.
All time is donated.
Santa toys for xmas.
People simply donate toys, a company will donate an empty bay warehouse spot, and drivers donate their own time and vehicle, to deliver, and pay for their own gas to do so.

Many, many, many to chose from.

tieguy

Banned
I am not here to bash anybody nor brag that I am a great guy cause I have my flaws, but don't we all.

there are no feelings of hurt. Your flaw as I see it is you took a job to represent an organization ups.

Ups feels strongly about helping better their community.
I think you should see the wisdom in a large company like ups helping better its community and support it , in some way.

Don't apologize for helping better the world. Every dollar we collect can either help feed educate, house someone or help them fight some type of health issue. Its a great cause anyway you shake it.

tieguy

Banned
The company sponsored ones, like the Ronnie MacDonald Fund, or Dairy Queen Blizzard fund, Safeway cure for cancer, Microsoft, probably another one.
All time is donated.
Santa toys for xmas.
People simply donate toys, a company will donate an empty bay warehouse spot, and drivers donate their own time and vehicle, to deliver, and pay for their own gas to do so.

Santa are those speedo's red with white trim?

When you bought them the plastic beach balls did ya buy the 12 inch diameter for 1.29 or spring for the big 20 inch beach ball for 2.50?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The roman chatholic chruch's combined through out the world raise more money to help there commuity's and do not not get a six figure salary and are not pressured to make numbers.They give so much and take nothing in return Thats charity.

To deduce that there is no overhead in the Catholic Church (or any major religious organization) is laughable.
I know they do great good but I would imagine their overhead is way beyond the United Way.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All time is donated.
Santa toys for xmas.

Yes there are many like this klein and they help in specific niches here and there.
The impact of the United Way is extensive, pervasive and ongoing.
I have been a leadership giver for over twenty years but UW only gets maybe 20% out of my charity dollar every year.

I have drank beer and wine at many United Way functions klein!
That make it more acceptable?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It doesn't have to and you've again made another point as to why I will never contribute to UW through UPS or otherwise. Charity is not, and should never be, a business. It should be people donating their time to the organization and coming together to cover it's costs, and other people donating their money or clothes/cars/food etc to provide the organization with the means to help it's intended recipients.

That reflects a superficial understanding or maybe a total lack of understanding of how the world operates - any organization that provides goods or services is a business - government is business, religion is business, running a household is business and yes, charity is business.

I personally want my charity dollars to go to an effective organization that is professionally run and has a system of controls in place to ensure optimal impact.
United Way has very good visibility and the other organizations and individuals I contribute to have excellent visibility - otherwise they don't get anything from me.

Also, all the organizations I contribute to have names as opposed to the "one" you keep referring to.
Maybe it's name can not be written or said - sort of like Prince's new name. Does it have a symbol?

tieguy

Banned
All time is donated.
Santa toys for xmas.

In the world of private sector giving you want to build a coalition of organizations working together. United way is the fund raiiing pipeline feeding the many charitable organizations. they are the experts at fund raising.
If the charities they feed then had high overhead costs then it would defeat the purpose of having a united way.
For some reason you don't understand this relationship but I see it does not stop you from running off at the mouth.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
All time is donated.
Santa toys for xmas.

Overhead means expenses. How can they have no overhead? No telephone, no stamps, no office, no po box, no office supplies, no computers, no electricity, no property, no legal expense, no tax prep??? There has to be some overhead. Some organizations may have very little, but it's virtually impossible for any organization to have ZERO expenses.