united way... Turn the tables on them

some1else

Banned
last year i agreed to make a 10$ weekly deduction (52 weeks); in exchange i asked that they agree to guarantee i would not be laid off for those 52 weeks.

what do you think happened?

Ms.PacMan

I would rather give to some one on the street, than hear UPS crow about how much THEY gave to UW.

A local factory here went on strike and the union was making statements about how much money the company had made and the raises they were requesting were in line with profits, etc.

A company spokesman then made a statement on the local news and in the newspaper about how generous the company was and gave all the UW figures along with all the volunteer efforts made by the employees over the years.

The company is probably 80% union/hourly employees and they were so enraged that the company would use their own donations as an argument against them that have not given a penny to UW since- this was easily 10 yrs ago.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
last year i agreed to make a 10$ weekly deduction (52 weeks); in exchange i asked that they agree to guarantee i would not be laid off for those 52 weeks.

what do you think happened?

i would say that is not a call your supervisor is authorized to make and I realllllly don't believe you would think you could barter giving to the united way as job security.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I can only speak for my experience ... I have never pressured anyone to give to United Way and I have never been pressured my self.

Usually, people come down off their soapbox and give at least a dollar for their annual gift.

Their was one person that never gave and there were a few here and there that refused to give because someone in their family or a friend was refused help.

OF COURSE, there are some people that would claim pressure and harassment if the UW coordinator said something along the line of, "Come on man, can't you at least give 1 dollar as an annual contribution?"[/QUOTE]
No actually you can't, the minimum yearly one time donation is $50. Nothing like telling someone what their minimum gift is.

I gave a one time donation of $20 this year.

some1else

Banned
//i would say that is not a call your supervisor is authorized to make and I realllllly don't believe you would think you could barter giving to the united way as job security.//

thats not what i was asking for. i feel its ridiculous that i am saving every penny because i know i will be laid off in January (with 5 years seniority!). and they are asking me for donations to have united way. i really cant believe they will do it with a straight face!

hdkappler

any ups drivers in galesburg,il don't give to united way.in macomb,il an employee was let go from united way because her husband had a terminal illness the uw let her go before christms.if this is the way united way treats employees.do they help those in need

some1else

Banned
and they are asking for donations from pre-loaders that make 8.50 an hour!

like i said its amazing they do it with a straight face

ol'browneye

When they approach me this year to collect money for their United way campaign i will use that opportunity to collect money for my own fund raising opportunity. I will inform them that i am collecting money for some group or charity and i am asking you to donate to me, when the say no thanks i will also say no thanks to the united way. Here is a krispy kreme form that i found http://www.krispykreme.com/generic_presell.pdf
that i may use or i just may type up my own form on the computer.

Is it the Human Fund?:happy2:

M

Mike23

you know that UPS matches every employee donation 100%, right?

the more you give, the more UPS gives. How many other companies do that?

I've worked for companies that go dollar for dollar with your retirement fund. If UPS can do it for UW why not take care of their own employees first so that they (the retired employees) don't need to go to UW and be rejected in the future?

If you're going to tell me that we have a great pension it's different around here (that's for you Hoax!), in Canada. We get $50 a month per year served. So, 40 x $50= 2k. I dunno about you, but 2k a month is not a lot of money. That's also IF I last 40 years with all their politics going on. Yes, we do have things to fall back on (RRSP's) but if you're an idiot and lose all those, you get your crappy (because it is one) UPS pension. I know, better then nothing, but it could also be better then what it is.

klein

Für Meno :)
I've worked for companies that go dollar for dollar with your retirement fund. If UPS can do it for UW why not take care of their own employees first so that they (the retired employees) don't need to go to UW and be rejected in the future?

If you're going to tell me that we have a great pension it's different around here (that's for you Hoax!), in Canada. We get $50 a month per year served. So, 40 x $50= 2k. I dunno about you, but 2k a month is not a lot of money. That's also IF I last 40 years with all their politics going on. Yes, we do have things to fall back on (RRSP's) but if you're an idiot and lose all those, you get your crappy (because it is one) UPS pension. I know, better then nothing, but it could also be better then what it is.

No kidding, your lucky to get 20yrs in, thats still $1000.00 though.
But not even that, because they can reduce that too, like UFCW done to me (due to the fall in the investments they made).
Oh, btw: I applied for a city job today, I sure hope I get that one !
Less work, more pay, better pension etc.

tieguy

Banned

I've volunteered some serving food in the food lines. Can you believe the poor people actually ask you to serve them food with a straight face?
The gall of it all. :happy-very:

some1else

Banned
Originally Posted by some1else

I've volunteered some serving food in the food lines. Can you believe the poor people actually ask you to serve them food with a straight face?
The gall of it all.
//

close buddy.
if you went to the table the bums where eating at and haggled/yelled/coerced one into giving the other half of his plate, and THEN you offered him some WITH A STRAIGHT FACE!

tieguy

Banned
Originally Posted by some1else

The gall of it all.
//

close buddy.
if you went to the table the bums where eating at and haggled/yelled/coerced one into giving the other half of his plate, and THEN you offered him some WITH A STRAIGHT FACE!

I'm with ya bro!!! I think we should all have a big pitty party on your behalf because someone actually had the guts to ask you to help those less fortunate.:happy-very:

upsset

You can complete your United Way pledge on line through upsers.com. You can give or decline to give and when your manager asks you for your pledge cand just tell him I completed it online. Whether you gave anything or not is none of his business.