United Way

leastbest

LeastBest
When I got my thirty years in at UPS I expected the cake and handing out of my plaque at the morning meeting. No plaque or cake. I spoke to my center manager and he hemmed and hawed and a couple weeks later as I was punching out, the clerk told me the plaque was in the office and to pick it up. Not even a handshake.

I was surprised that not getting that cake bothered me. I saw a lot of guys ahead of me get the cake and the ceremony actually meant something to me.

I talked to my center manager a few more times but it was clear I wasn't going to get it.

Ever since then when it comes to United Way I tell them I'd like to but I'm spending the money on cake.

Big Babooba

Do you give to your church? Some of the Pastor's are set up in some pretty nice free digs and have a nice paid for retirement pkg. Someone has to run the show. I give 7 bucks a week to United Way. Have never been harrassed about giving. Just fill in the card and hand it in. We usually have guest speakers from some of the local United Way supported agencies come in to speak if you consider that harrassment. BM
Well I've had a center manager yell at me when I decided that I no longer wanted to donate. He wanted 100% participation and wasn't going to get his goal. I was on workman's comp for 10 months and couldn't afford it. Would you consider that harrasment?

Pasaholic

Nobody give to the united Way!! I went on a tour when I was a preloader and went to a drug rehab center, a center that "helps teen mothers and homeless feeding center. Those are lifestyle choices, not charity, not getting my money

moreluck

golden ticket member
I also toured a similar facility in Escondido, CA. called St Clare's Home. This is from their site....

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Tahoma, sans-serif]"St. Clare's two year program for homeless and abused women includes: Education & Career Guidance including Life Skills Classes on Health Care, Safety, Parenting Nutrition, Domestic Violence & Child Abuse Prevention Education, Computer Literacy, Journaling, Art Therapy, Anger Management and more.[/FONT] "

This program was also the recipient one year of the UPS charity donation. This was not a 30 or 60 day program, but a 2 yr. program that turns lives around. Never once did I look at the little kids and think....."My, they sure have made some poor choices."

The work being done there is important. Mothers are trained in job skills and the quality of their lives are improved as is their children's.

If I had your attitude, I would have no kids of my own........I have 2 that were at one time totally lost and lived with "poor choices".....however there was one constant in their lives......parents who didn't give up. They are now productive people with kids of their own and living a completely "turned around" life....thank God.

We can't just 'write' people off. Some of the programs out there really work. Lives are saved .

2Slow

I don't think it is right for management to pressure anyone to contribute to any cause.

But I also find it revolting for management to be referred to as using gestapo tactics.... that is just a very ignorant statement to make.
This statement ties the nazi secret police to UPS management. VERY VERY INAPPORPRIATE!

It is an inflammatory statment to be sure. What the Nazis did is hard to even imagine. I am aware of nothing that UPS has done that comes close to the vast number of murders commited by the Nazis and the Gestapo.

That said, there is NO QUESTION that UPS managment has a culture of harassment, intimidation, and immoral, unethical, and in some cases illegal behavior. I have never seen a decent, moral guy do well in managment ( a few manage to keep their heads down as FT supervisors, but not at managment level). I have seen so many despicable things from those guys that it is very easy to believe that they are capable of just about anything.

Are they Nazis? No.
Would they use violence if they thought they could get away with it? I believe they would. (My opinion)
Do they deliberatly attempt to create an enviroment of fear and distrust? Yes.
Do they lie, cheat, and even steal to get their way? Yes.
Do they deliberatly disseminate propaganda? Yes
Do they attempt to silence dissent? Yes.

Are these "Gestapo Tactics"? Well, the Gestapo did not invent these tactics, but they used them. UPS did not invent these tactics, but they also use them.

leastbest

LeastBest
Last year when my center manager asked me to give to UW I asked him who got the money. He said the poor and needy. I asked him what kind of cars they drive. He seemed puzzled but said probably old Fords and Chevy's like Pintos and Dodge Darts.

I told him that those cars have power steering and my truck doesn't. I wasn't going to give money to people who were better off than I was.

HazMatMan

I was told a little ways back that no UPSer can solicit for any cause no matter what, whats the deal with this United Way crap being rammed down our throats every year? I personally will never give to them, I would rather give to a real non profit like the Salvation Way at least they don't have a CEO who makes millions like the joke United Way...

THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY.:cursing:

That's because it is their company, they could do, sell, buy, solicit etc...etc... anything they want and YOU CAN'T...Kabeesh??

HazMatMan

Last year when my center manager asked me to give to UW I asked him who got the money. He said the poor and needy. I asked him what kind of cars they drive. He seemed puzzled but said probably old Fords and Chevy's like Pintos and Dodge Darts.

I told him that those cars have power steering and my truck doesn't. I wasn't going to give money to people who were better off than I was.

I drove a Dodge Dart and never got a penny from the united way!!!! lol.

W

WillWorkForFood

I was told a little ways back that no UPSer can solicit for any cause no matter what, whats the deal with this United Way crap being rammed down our throats every year? I personally will never give to them, I would rather give to a real non profit like the Salvation Way at least they don't have a CEO who makes millions like the joke United Way...

The UPS policy book is the rule book.

The no solicitation policy is from the UPS policy book, but the policy book allows an exception for the United Way. You will be asked to give to the United Way.

The policy book states that it's up to the employee to give to the United Way, and there can't be any pressure, reprisal for not giving, etc. That's not the exact terminology but that's the idea.

If you don't want to give, politely decline and go on with life.

The "pressure" comes from local management that gets carried away and strays from the policy as stated in the policy book. If you feel unduly pressured you should report the management person via the 1-800#.

If UPS really wanted to abide by this policy and not pressure employees then they'd mail the request to give to the employees' homes and let employees mail the cards back to a central location.

Brownnblue

Do you give to your church? Some of the Pastor's are set up in some pretty nice free digs and have a nice paid for retirement pkg. Someone has to run the show. I give 7 bucks a week to United Way. Have never been harrassed about giving. Just fill in the card and hand it in. We usually have guest speakers from some of the local United Way supported agencies come in to speak if you consider that harrassment. BM

I am actually treasurer at my church. Our pastor gets paid a very low wage. His retirement is a dedution from his wage package, because we can't afford to give him anything else. The only thing he gets free is prayer.

Brownnblue

I have always been intrigued as to why you can not get some kind of receipt if you designate your cash to a specific charity. With the elaborate paperwork you now have to go through to make a donation, it seems kind of odd that you can't get a receipt for your cash. It gives me the feel of "hey we got your money, now screw".

I do have a charity that I give through the UW, always through personal check. If I have been having any management issues, the check is made out to the charity. Take it or leave it.

happybob

Feeders
I think you can log all those hours in at UPSers.com...

I mean UPS should get credit for your good deeds done on your time...
Why should UPS get credit for the time YOU donate. They have nothing to do with what YOU do with your free time. One doesn't donate time and energy to charity so that thier employer looks good. If your employer really wants to look good then they should send thier workers once or twice a month, on the clock, to different charities that need help. That would be UPS donating and deserving credit. Please don't give credit where credit isd not due. Most of us that donate time at different charities do it to feel good, not make our employer look good.

moreluck

golden ticket member
bizjournals.com
Metro United Way nearing goal
Thursday November 29, 3:39 pm ET

The Metro United Way's 2007 fund-raising campaign has raised $26.5 million, nearing its goal of $30 million.
That announcement was made by Metro United Way officials during a community celebration held today at Churchill Downs.
The remaining funds will be pursued over the next few months, according to a news release.
The top local companies contributing to the fund drive through employee-giving campaigns were United Parcel Service Inc., with $3.7 million; GE Consumer & Industrial, with $1.8 million; and Humana Inc. and The Humana Foundation, with $1.4 million.
Published November 29, 2007 by Business First