United Way

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I know many of our people get PO'd when we get a little too enthusiastic about collecting for United Way. They then decide to not give to spite us for being too aggressive in asking.
UPS does sometimes get a bit aggressive, but its for a good cause. I dont mind donating, but it would be nice if the people who planned on continuing to give anyway were excused from having to sit through the spiel. I already donate, and I have already selected the particular charity that UW sends my money to, so I would prefer to skip the AM meeting and get 10 additional badly needed minutes of beauty sleep.

Camping Nana

Tie, I was a United Way campaign person at my previous job. It wasn't until coming to UPS and feeling "forced" into giving that I've decided NOT to.

I'll offer this deal with them when I'm brought into the office. I will donate a days pay (my usual $5 per week) and my time to spend 8 hours at a true LOCAL charity.

I will ask UPS to give me that day off as a scheduled day off and to give me a check of $260 in matching funds written to that local charity.

If my local UPS honestly cares about helping the community and not just caring about their numbers we will see in their response.

I don't know if they still do it, but at one time UPS had a "matching contribution" program for non-profits organizations (other than United Way). I'm not sure that it was matched dollar for dollar - but it was pretty good. I did some volunteer work at an organization that received funds as a direct result of this program.

New Englander

I don't know if they still do it, but at one time UPS had a "matching contribution" program for non-profits organizations (other than United Way). I'm not sure that it was matched dollar for dollar - but it was pretty good. I did some volunteer work at an organization that received funds as a direct result of this program.

I will ask about it tomorrow.

tieguy

Banned
It's not quite the same thing. I would rather write the check to them myself. I don't need the United Way to do it for me.

There is quite a bit of bad press regarding The United Way as well.

You've got all the excuses to ignore united way covered. Generally once someone decides they don't want to give anything through united way they then load up on all the standard excuses. Personally I would rather someone tell me that they are too cheap to help their community and save me all the BS lines.Your charity will suffer for it because chances are you will not be disciplined enough to give to them regularly. A few donaters may have that discipline but most do not. Thats why the united way process works. Your charity does not lose out when you give by payroll deduction every month. But they do lose when people decide to give directly because those people do not show up every month with their donation.

tourists24

You've got all the excuses to ignore united way covered. Generally once someone decides they don't want to give anything through united way they then load up on all the standard excuses. Personally I would rather someone tell me that they are too cheap to help their community and save me all the BS lines.Your charity will suffer for it because chances are you will not be disciplined enough to give to them regularly. A few donaters may have that discipline but most do not. Thats why the united way process works. Your charity does not lose out when you give by payroll deduction every month. But they do lose when people decide to give directly because those people do not show up every month with their donation.
That's exactly the reason a lot of people dont give to the UW through UPS tie... for the very reason you just posted.... you may call it people being "cheap" because they dont do things your way, but it's not that at all. It's the guilt trip line you just gave that keeps me and a lot of others from doing it through UPS and the United Way. Are we "cheap" because we dont do it the way we are told to. That is the exact opposite of what local charities need to help them out. Keep the politics out of it. I believe you are sincere in helping your community and with the charity aspect itself, but you are so brown blooded in this case... let the United Way people come in and do their presentations, and then let each person decide; then let it go.

New Englander

Err....Tie are you following me here? I'm going to make a year's donation in one check. Where's the discipline needed in that? How is that any different then giving them $5 per week.

Yet another excuse from you?

I give zero...I give to my local Hospice (they have done wonderful things for my family). You have to remember....UPS sets a higher goal every year and they force management to contribute X amount and "ask" us to contribute as much as they can get out of us. The difference is made up by UPS to meet their goal. If we don't give enough...then the company will pony up the contributions to make or exceed their goal every year...it looks good for the company to exceed their set goal every year....and they use it as a write off......the more we give the less that UPS has to shell out to make this years goal.....

Just my 2 cents....and that will go to Hospice:happy2:

A

Anon1

I do give to United Way and I have helped with fund raisers in the building. Some people have said that the reason they do not give is that they were unable to get help when they needed it or know of someone who could not get help. I do not know how to respond to those people, because I have been lucky enough not to need United Way's help. It is very comforting to me to know that it is there and I believe that United Way agencies help thousands of people every day. Do I feel forced to give? No. Do I feel they want us to give? Yes. Does it bug me? Not really. Every year at the beginning of the year, I work out a budget and decide how much goes to charity. Part of that charitable budget is my United Way contribution. I feel very fortunate to work for UPS and to be well paid. (Okay, it is not even close to what I'm truly worth! LOL) The way I look at it is that by giving through United Way, the agencies get their money and UPS looks good. It is a win/win. (I do wish they would not brag about it and state the monies actually collected rather than the monies pledged.)
Each district has a charitable committee and are given so much money for each employee in your district to spend. Any employee can ask for a donation to a specific charity, but they must meet several qualifications including being a 501c. There are different levels. This year focus was on hunger, illiteracy and ??? You could ask for an outright donation, volunteer 50 hrs and ask for a grant (which was larger) or if you wanted to give to an educational institution or the arts, UPS matches your pledge of $25 or more. Someone in HR could give you accurate information on this.

Mike Hawk

So I was thinking, the most chartable thing to do would be to donate to United Way privately, that way UPS has to make up what you didn't contribute through them. You essentially get twice the bang for your buck, and in the end the charities win, which is what this whole thing is about right?

drewed

Shankman
So I was thinking, the most chartable thing to do would be to donate to United Way privately, that way UPS has to make up what you didn't contribute through them. You essentially get twice the bang for your buck, and in the end the charities win, which is what this whole thing is about right?

Well yea its all about the charities, and thats all it should be about in my opinion......but UPS wants to create management that is responsible contributing members of society (no i have never been pressured or asked why wouldnt i or anything) but i also know upper management takes a look on what gets contributed not saying theyd change opinion of someone on it, its just human nature tho

Dutch Dawg

In years past I've given what I though was a generous amount with a designated recipient charity receiving 100% of the proceeds. It worked well for the Company, United Way, the recipient charity and myself as we all appeared pleased with the end result. However United Way in our area has now seen fit to reduce their total $ contributions to this chairty; forcing me to revaluated my contributions to United Way. So if your reading this, boss; I'm just gonna cut out the midle men ie. the Company and United Way in my giving this year.

oakcreekteamie

When i was given my sheet to donate they told us that 'NO' was not an answer. Im a poor college kid and i know the value of donating money but when i cant make rent it becomes an issue. I put down a one time donation of 10 bucks; and the person collected and looked at me and said i :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: you not, "Is that all?" and i said, "yes, it is." I will never donate through UPS again; i rather make my donation to someone who isnt telling me to donate. When someone tells you that you have to, you some how lose the will to actually give from the heart.

browndevil

When i was given my sheet to donate they told us that 'NO' was not an answer. Im a poor college kid and i know the value of donating money but when i cant make rent it becomes an issue. I put down a one time donation of 10 bucks; and the person collected and looked at me and said i :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: you not, "Is that all?" and i said, "yes, it is." I will never donate through UPS again; i rather make my donation to someone who isnt telling me to donate. When someone tells you that you have to, you some how lose the will to actually give from the heart.
I have donated 1 time in my 21 years here. The reason is because of those tatics. What I do however is donate and volunteer to 3 organizations yearly that personally mean something to me. You have a choice, times are rough, gas is up, food prices are up there isn't much left over for much more. I am glad you donated but your sup was wrong and he needs to be talked to

oakcreekteamie

I have donated 1 time in my 21 years here. The reason is because of those tatics. What I do however is donate and volunteer to 3 organizations yearly that personally mean something to me. You have a choice, times are rough, gas is up, food prices are up there isn't much left over for much more. I am glad you donated but your sup was wrong and he needs to be talked to

The funny thing is that i felt like i went to a sale and HAD to buy something...but i am glad someone agrees with me; but i will be donating outside of UPS.

drewed

Shankman
All but 2 of my employees gave, the 2 that didnt, volunteer helping kids..... the pters always give disproportionally to the fters