United Way

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The united way is one of the ways UPS choses to be a good corp citizen, by giving back to the communities monies it has earned from those communities. With all its distractions and faults, it really is a good way for a large group of people to pool their money to help a wide variety of causes.

Many of these causes have funds coming in from other sources. Some have organized fund raising yearly, others not so much. The United way is an important part of the over all financing of those charities. Without the United way, many if not most would be gone or for sure have to reduce the services offered.

The united way was not designed to collect monies that you already give, but rather to get people that really dont think about it to begin. It also allows the giver to give to a wide selection of charities as well, or to pick one.

So if you give privately to an organization, God bless. IF you dont, the United way is a good place to begin with both money and time.

I think that the vast majority of the issues faced at UPS when it comes to the united way is the way it is handled at the local level.

Fund raising efforts have demonstrated that you will collect more funds if you first tug on their heartstrings emotionally, then to make a commitment as quickly as possible afterward. From the churches to the charities, they have found what works and use that method.

It is the overly eager manager that is trying to garner support that is viewed as either strong arming employees, or trying to barter for that support. Both cheapen the process.

d

wannabeups

I gave $15 per week last year. This year only $1. Would like to give more but I spend half the year in the hub and this year they cut our pay. Who is to say they won't cut it even more and be in the hub be in the hub.

My goal is the when I get enough seniority where I am not laid off is to give one hour pay a week.

United Way does some good things. I guess I will have to donate blood more often. They love my blood type O- (universal donor) anyone can use my blood

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
No matter what I am doing, wherever I am driving, no matter how much in a hurry, if I see a kid selling lemonade or stuff in his yard/driveway, I stop & buy a ton, talk to them some.

And before you say I am belittling this thread or the UW, think about that some - it is the whole giving a fish/teaching how to fish proverb.

wannabeups

No matter what I am doing, wherever I am driving, no matter how much in a hurry, if I see a kid selling lemonade or stuff in his yard/driveway, I stop & buy a ton, talk to them some.

And before you say I am belittling this thread or the UW, think about that some - it is the whole giving a fish/teaching how to fish proverb.

Excellent point.

feeder05

In my 20 years with the company this was the first year I did not donate to the United Way. With them reducing feeder runs and taking away our safe driving awards this was my only way to make a statement.

klein

Für Meno :)
Excellent point.

I hate to admit to it, but I didn't give to UW either (only being on starting wage).

But, at my customers offices, bought charity chocolate bars, charity raffle tickets, girl scout cookies, etc.

Probably spent a minimum of $10.00 a week doing so. (I would say more).

But, it's customer satifisfaction, again.
The UPS guy bought this or that.
They see that I care (they don't see it from a paycheck deduction, or maybe a small print in the newspaper ), but they see it in person !

And, I did a good cause !
And was more liked (compared to competition) by doing so :)

That worked well for me,
besides, I knew it was going to the commuity I was serving.
Which was an awesome one.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In my 20 years with the company this was the first year I did not donate to the United Way. With them reducing feeder runs and taking away our safe driving awards this was my only way to make a statement.

Come on and admit it ... the real reason is that they didn't give management any raises and took away their 401k contributions. It's ok to admit it! :wink2:

wannabeups

I hate to admit to it, but I didn't give to UW either (only being on starting wage).

But, at my customers offices, bought charity chocolate bars, charity raffle tickets, girl scout cookies, etc.

Probably spent a minimum of $10.00 a week doing so. (I would say more).

But, it's customer satifisfaction, again.
The UPS guy bought this or that.
They see that I care (they don't see it from a paycheck deduction, or maybe a small print in the newspaper ), but they see it in person !

And, I did a good cause !
And was more liked (compared to competition) by doing so :)

That worked well for me,
besides, I knew it was going to the commuity I was serving.
Which was an awesome one.

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have increased my donations to church, plus I have tried to donate in other ways. i.e. I am sponsoring a fellow driver in a "Race for the cure" against breast cancer.

klein

Für Meno :)
I know exactly where you are coming from. I have increased my donations to church, plus I have tried to donate in other ways. i.e. I am sponsoring a fellow driver in a "Race for the cure" against breast cancer.

And the point is, we all give ! Northamericans are very generous in giving.
It doesn't have to be UW, only. Because that wouldn't work.
We all give in many ways. Mostly without tax deductions. (the normal working class).

And everyone has thier pride when they give and to whom they give.
It shouldn't be dictated by any employer.

Main thing is, we all give to good causes. And we are known to be generous.

Keep up the good work !

wannabeups

And the point is, we all give ! Northamericans are very generous in giving.
It doesn't have to be UW, only. Because that wouldn't work.
We all give in many ways. Mostly without tax deductions. (the normal working class).

And everyone has thier pride when they give and to whom they give.
It shouldn't be dictated by any employer.

Main thing is, we all give to good causes. And we are known to be generous.

Keep up the good work !

Right on!

wannabeups

Another way to look @ it:

With UPS tightening the purse strings everywhere, the employee who doesn't give or give less is helping the company. With less being contributed by employees, the less money they company will have to put in (company match).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Another way to look @ it:

With UPS tightening the purse strings everywhere, the employee who doesn't give or give less is helping the company. With less being contributed by employees, the less money they company will have to put in (company match).

That's a smartass remark ... but I like that in a person! :funny:

tieguy

Banned

And thats a common problem we have in collecting. If the person is pissed at the company for some reason then he decides to stop supporting his community to spite us.

You have to walk the high ground with this one and put the politics of work aside.

tieguy

Banned
i thought it was only our building that got hassled to make a donation...they make seem like its mandatory

A little hassle might be the difference with someones kid getting a warm meal or the next ben carson getting a book that feeds his mind.

I'm personally passionate about helping your community but I don't "hassle" or browbeat people into giving.

I recognize that our overly aggressive tactics tend to turn people off to giving. This aggressiveness then turns community help into something a pissed off employee can use to get back at us.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Many in my center stopped giving to the united way through ups a few years ago, when two employees were terminated in separate cases for very weak reasons, then eventually rehired, after they and their families had suffered great hardship. The terminations were an unnecessary move by the company that had repercussions that have remained to this day, poisoning the water of trust and respect that was barely there to begin with. We had near 100% contribution rates up to that time. I don't personally see any reason to share a charity choice with my employer, when they show a low interest in UPS families with keeping fewer drivers out longer, laying off junior drivers in an attempt to make them pay for their own medical, all while feigning an interest in a public relations campaign "community" that only exists at the whim of the big shots.

Most of us give to the charity of our own choosing, without the ups middleman link.

tieguy

Banned
Many in my center stopped giving to the united way through ups a few years ago, when two employees were terminated in separate cases for very weak reasons, then eventually rehired, after they and their families had suffered great hardship. The terminations were an unnecessary move by the company that had repercussions that have remained to this day, poisoning the water of trust and respect that was barely there to begin with. We had near 100% contribution rates up to that time. I don't personally see any reason to share a charity choice with my employer, when they show a low interest in UPS families with keeping fewer drivers out longer, laying off junior drivers in an attempt to make them pay for their own medical, all while feigning an interest in a public relations campaign "community" that only exists at the whim of the big shots.

Most of us give to the charity of our own choosing, without the ups middleman link.

Its not that there is a ups middleman link so much as the convience of payaroll deduction that is offered. While there are exceptions you generally don't see charities supported as well if you have to rely on donors to remember to send in their money each month. The convience of payroll deduction is what gets these charities their true funding.

Giving to or helping your community should never be about work related politics.