United Way

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Management should not be irritating you. That is my point. Give me the info, let me decide, and stand down. My charitable contributions are personal. It is what it is.

Let me ask you Hoaxter- do you give at such high levels because you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside, or because you genuinely want to help someone less fortunate than yourself? Since you're a self- described pragmatist, perhaps it is for the tax deduction.

All three but most of what I give is not tax deductible.
I work on Habitat builds, do work for agencies, help at church, mow older people's yards who can't do it themselves (wife does meals on wheels and I get candidates from her), pick up litter along a highway, etc.
I feel a responsibility to do these things ... maybe that's what drives me the most.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sorry to disappoint you. :peaceful:
I meant standing on principle to a fault.
I have given a waitress a 1 cent tip before when they did not deserve it. I think a $1 UW donation is about the same.

If my management is irritating me and I could give them a $1 and then they would go away and leave me along ... I'll pay the $1 every time.
I'm a pragmatist ... first and always.

As far as going into management ... not a place for idealists going around fighting windmills. The job there is to get things done including the "numbers".

While this issue would not be one I would choose to dig in on, it does not alleviate you, me, and all other managers from respecting the opinion of others.
Albeit clever, your analogy of the waitress is not parallel to this issue.
Your 1 cent tip is meant as an insult and you have no further obligation.
I assume you didn't sit in that waitresses station again?
An employee goated into a $1 contribution, they would not make other wise, is locked in for 52 weeks, $52, a significantly bigger number.
In addition they are now subject to this tactic spilling over into their daily dealings with their supervisor.
I submit this fuels some of these attitudes and resistance to this program.
Liken me to Don Quixote if you like, but far to many supervisors cross the line far to often in the name of "I'm just doing my job".
Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

vamountainman

Re: United Way..beards for charity idea

Proposal: $5.00/week donation.....only $260.00 /year

Result: Male office employees allowed to grow neatly trimmed beards or goatees.

If 50 males donate this way, it's $13,000 year, 100 males, $26000. You can do the math for the rest.

A huge amount of money for a great charity, and a huge amount of happy male employees when it comes to fall hunting season!

It's time UPS gets with society and lives in 2009 and not 100 years ago. Who does a grown man with a bead offend? No one. It's a mans skin, a mans face and a mans anatomy. We are men. We are smart, and we know how to keep our facial hair neatly trimmed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
While this issue would not be one I would choose to dig in on, it does not alleviate you, me, and all other managers from respecting the opinion of others.
Albeit clever, your analogy of the waitress is not parallel to this issue.
Your 1 cent tip is meant as an insult and you have no further obligation.
I assume you didn't sit in that waitresses station again?
An employee goaded into a $1 contribution, they would not make other wise, is locked in for 52 weeks, $52, a significantly bigger number.
In addition they are now subject to this tactic spilling over into their daily dealings with their supervisor.
I submit this fuels some of these attitudes and resistance to this program.
Liken me to Don Quixote if you like, but far to many supervisors cross the line far to often in the name of "I'm just doing my job".
Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

I was talking about the one time contribution of $1 for the entire year.

In regards to "Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess."
In this order
1 Sex
2 Benedryl
3 Alcohol
4 Warm milk - nah, that don't work

Nothing at UPS keeps me up at night ... it ain't that important.

PS - I don't liken you to Don Quioxte. I saw you as arguing for the sake of the people that did not contribute for the principle of it.
Also, never thought about your point of letting the sup goad one into this as setting a precedence for other things ... I'll buy that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was talking about the one time contribution of $1 for the entire year.

In regards to "Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess."
In this order
1 Sex
2 Benedryl
3 Alcohol
4 Warm milk - nah, that don't work

Nothing at UPS keeps me up at night ... it ain't that important.

PS - I don't liken you to Don Quioxte. I saw you as arguing for the sake of the people that did not contribute for the principle of it.
Also, never thought about your point of letting the sup goad one into this as setting a precedence for other things ... I'll buy that.

$1 for the year?
That option isn't widely publicized in my building.
I could see that being a worthwhile investment for somebody not interested in philanthropy. The path of least resistance.

Chasing windmills you said? That's Don Quioxte right? I was arguing for freedom of choice whether it be just or misguided. Give as directed? I don't see it.

As for your sleep aids, I like to have the alcohol before the sex.
Then through down some benadryl and I might be out for 10 plus.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
There is an option to give a one time deduction, like $1, on the contribution form if you look it over.

I do not give at all at ups, and the reason I would not use this method is that it actually punishes the UW to process the small amount. It costs more in bookeeping than its worth.

tieguy

Banned

Proposal: $5.00/week donation.....only $260.00 /year

Result: Male office employees allowed to grow neatly trimmed beards or goatees.

If 50 males donate this way, it's $13,000 year, 100 males, $26000. You can do the math for the rest.

A huge amount of money for a great charity, and a huge amount of happy male employees when it comes to fall hunting season!

It's time UPS gets with society and lives in 2009 and not 100 years ago. Who does a grown man with a bead offend? No one. It's a mans skin, a mans face and a mans anatomy. We are men. We are smart, and we know how to keep our facial hair neatly trimmed.

I would want at least 10 bucks a week to let you go shaggy on me.:happy-very:

UPS is not unique. Many businesses and even professional sports teams have grooming requirements.

In management...if you don't give...well there is no you don't give...you give. It's that simple. They say we have a "Choice" but the choice is to give. Its messed up!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In management...if you don't give...well there is no you don't give...you give. It's that simple. They say we have a "Choice" but the choice is to give. Its messed up!

At least $1 per year ... back when. I don't know what the minimum is now.

Last edited:
P

pickup

I would want at least 10 bucks a week to let you go shaggy on me.:happy-very:

UPS is not unique. Many businesses and even professional sports teams have grooming requirements.

Come on, let's admit it. Johnny Damon looked way cooler, more dangerous , and more righteous (in a biblical/jesus sort of way) than he does now as a result of the yankee's grooming requirements.

tieguy

Banned

Come on, let's admit it. Johnny Damon looked way cooler, more dangerous , and more righteous (in a biblical/jesus sort of way) than he does now as a result of the yankee's grooming requirements.

I don't know. I always thought beards had a raggeddy look to them. I'm partial to the neatly trimmed look myself. But then I don't have a choice.:happy-very:

sweetpea

Try asking United Way for help and told to have your husband leave you, then you go on welfare. How dare they tell me to have my husband leave and not help take care of our handicapped daughter-when I really needed them before I started at UPS they were not there-give directly to your organization of choice, like the Elks, Knights of Columbus, your local food pantry. Find an organization that has helped a member of your family directly (or someone you know). And the reason for the pressure of UW is that goes on managements review-they are not doing it for the sheer fact it's UW but it looks good for them and no one can convince me different. A UW rep once told a group of us-"we don't know what the organizations do with the money we just collect and give to them" and that is a quote. And of yea what about the last guy that had spent thousands and thousands on his mistress, house and cars. Give to your community

thebrownbox

i learned the hard way.. I was told on Friday last week if I wanted to sign up.. I said no.. what's bad is i had to tell the lady no 3 times and the best of all they always want to ask you when the flow is heavy..

klein

Für Meno :)
Try asking United Way for help and told to have your husband leave you, then you go on welfare. How dare they tell me to have my husband leave and not help take care of our handicapped daughter-when I really needed them before I started at UPS they were not there-give directly to your organization of choice, like the Elks, Knights of Columbus, your local food pantry. Find an organization that has helped a member of your family directly (or someone you know). And the reason for the pressure of UW is that goes on managements review-they are not doing it for the sheer fact it's UW but it looks good for them and no one can convince me different. A UW rep once told a group of us-"we don't know what the organizations do with the money we just collect and give to them" and that is a quote. And of yea what about the last guy that had spent thousands and thousands on his mistress, house and cars. Give to your community

I'm certain a lot of people agree with you.
In hard times, you can go to the local foodbank, no questions asked.

Notcool

They pressure us to give. Are center manager goes to everyone. The first time he came to me I said I wasn't giving this year. He came to me a while back and talked to me and now I am a United Way Leadership giver amazing! Oh we get T-shirts for giving LOL that say United Way Leadership Giver on the back and UPS on the front.

tieguy

Banned

Finding help when needed has been a problem. People often don't know the channels to go through. Keep in mind the UW is not necessarily a provider but an agency that streamlines charitable donations. In reading through their website I saw where they are working to address this problem by creating a national phone number that someone could call to get help. Hopefully they'll be able to get it pushed through.