United Way

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I understand the need to bash UPS and the United Way.
Please start your own thread and bash away....I promise I will stay away from it.

Stop for a moment before you make the choice to attack those of us that believe in the United Way.
Stop and think before you bash UPS.

Think about that gust of wind that changed the lives of those that made Joplin or Tuscaloosa home.

Think about the wave that washed away people in Japan and away of making a living as a farmer in the Mississippi Valley.

Think about violence and blood of an innocent staining designated walkways in Egypt, Mexico, Greece, Great Britain, Libya and a few cities in the United States.

Think about it.

You live in Tuscaloosa, you lost everything.
The family down the street, lost everything.
The largest employer in the area - gone.
You still have a job.You work for UPS.

Think about it.
You work for UPS.
You have a job ....

Your neighbor is a diabetic and needs insulin.

Your mother is in a wheelchair and was found alive under her bed frame.
She is unable to attend to her hygiene.
You can call EAP (employee assistance program).

Donations start filtering...
Clothing. You need clean unused underwear not cast offs.
Food. You don't have a place to store or refrigerate it.
You start to see the value of CASH donations.

CASH.

The United Way assists in making vital programs available by distributing cash.

I have stopped and thought about it, and I appreciate the provocation.
What I came away with is what I fear you may have missed.
While your convictions are true, UPS's are PR related.
I view United Way as a good thing that has gone corporate.
Be that as it may, they do good work after the top is skimmed.
If you choose for convenience to use UPS as the vehicle for your philanthropy, I don't fault you.
All I ask is that you research how much of your money is really going where you think it is.

DorkHead

I'm a big believer of never giving money, fundings, to charity.

I dont think people should give anything to those big type charities. Such examples, the red cross, have 3 CEOs making 6 figures a year. A nice link to look at here. This proves that their CEOs get as much, even at retirement, plus benefits. People can debate all they want about these charity groups, the fact remains they use a lot of it to fund their own employees.

I'd say, if you really want to help someone, give blood. Its apart of you and saves lives. Although hospitals make around 600$ off that pint of blood, still its something that just might change someones life forever.

I just started giving again about 5 yrs. ago. About 15 or so yrs ago, a UW CEO was using charity funds to pay for his country club membership, limo service, and other perks. Donations went way down the following years. Now I read the link in the above quote and wonder has anything changed. It might be time to go back and give to my local charities once again.

Not IN Trace

If a "charity" gives back anything less then 90% of the money it takes in stay away.
I would be willing to bet United way is way under that.
There much better charitys out there to give your money to.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
I always gave until last year but local managers have lied, covered up, harassed, etc... while ATL just buries their head in the sand and could care a less.

I have a hard time giving in the name of UPS when the ethics and policies they advertise aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I will and do give to charity, it just won't have UPS attached to it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Oh..and by the way United Way funds and supports Planned Parenthood....AKA as abortion providers.
Planned Parenthood does a lot more than just give someone the info On where to get abortions. If that annoys you so, have you stopped delivery of Yellow Book? They do the same.

brownboxman

At least here in Oregon UPS sends the money directly to a clearing house called Truist, the local United Way doesnt even see the money, the agency I directed my money to gets a check from New York. I hate this. I will either give directly to United Way or directly to the agency. UPS does not need to claim some moral high ground from all of our generousity. I hope everyone contributes to things they find important but we don't need to boost UPS corporates ego. Give generously please!!!!

PS Abortion is wrong, and there is nothing wrong with standing up for the rights of children . My neice had her baby Ben at 21 weeks, he is a healthy 2 yr old now. Why is it ok to permit killing these children.

iowa boy

I am not going to get into that conversation here. I simply stated phone books give out the same info PP does.

So am I to understand that you can now have safe sex with a phone book too?:surprised: I always thought the only safe sex you could have was with yourself. :angry:

Man, I'm getting old, times are changing and I'm being left behind.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BB, I agree with you only in that abortion should not be considered to be simply another form of birth control; however, I firmly believe that women should have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

What is your position on abortion in the case of rape, incest or severe medical issues with either the fetus or the mother? At what point do you consider the fetus to be, for lack of a better term, a living thing?

bluehdmc

They also tell folks how to prevent them in the first place therefor preventing those abortions.

Since abstinence doesn't seem to work, (year right, about as well as "just say no") maybe a little counseling in safe sex and birth control methods is a good idea?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Since abstinence doesn't seem to work, (year right, about as well as "just say no") maybe a little counseling in safe sex and birth control methods is a good idea?

Its been a few years since I was in public school, but I recall learning about birth control and condoms there.

Besides, most people who go to planned parenthood are not going to find out how to prevent getting pregnant, but how to prevent giving birth to a baby

menotyou

bella amicizia
Its been a few years since I was in public school, but I recall learning about birth control and condoms there. Besides, most people who go to planned parenthood are not going to find out how to prevent getting pregnant, but how to prevent giving birth to a baby
When I was younger, I got my pills there, as did many of my friends. They are cheap. Since the one I went to did not offer abortions, the same info is in the phone book or on the Internet. Are you banning the Internet now?

Besides, most people who go to planned parenthood are not going to find out how to prevent getting pregnant, but how to prevent giving birth to a baby

Have you ever been one to know for sure or are you just assuming? And all those opposed to a womans right to choose should put their name on a list so we can drop off a precious life for you to raise that otherwise may have been prevented. And don`t think you only get one. As soon as we get to the bottom of the list we go right back to the top and drop off the next one. How many will you take before you say that something needs to be done about the unwanted pregnancies?

A

anonymous6

BB, I agree with you only in that abortion should not be considered to be simply another form of birth control; however, I firmly believe that women should have the right to choose what to do with their bodies.

What is your position on abortion in the case of rape, incest or severe medical issues with either the fetus or the mother? At what point do you consider the fetus to be, for lack of a better term, a living thing?

stay on topic please

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I just started giving again about 5 yrs. ago. About 15 or so yrs ago, a UW CEO was using charity funds to pay for his country club membership, limo service, and other perks. Donations went way down the following years. Now I read the link in the above quote and wonder has anything changed. It might be time to go back and give to my local charities once again.

I understand, wonder how much the cost of flights in private jets are to Washington D.C. to lobby. Wonder if lunches are bought with donations or with their own money, which of the two would be any different? Theres stories like yours and mine that are found about these charity groups.

I recall once there was two guys in suits walking around the intersection of Orange Blossom Trail and Sandlake. They carried buckets with the words on it " Gods church charity ". They did this for about a month, almost everyday. Then a news crew went out there to ask them " what charity are you guys with? ". They quickly told them to stop filming and leave. Obviously, if it says charity on the side, it must be good. Yet theres a sucker born every minute, who believes the world always does the right thing.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
There are six local charitable groups that I give both considerable time and money to on an annual basis.
I choose direct payment to these groups as I can afford them.
Every year, I feel pressure from management to give through United Way. A few years ago I relented to their requests and designated my contributions to go to a couple of my chosen charitable organizations. The funds were never transferred from United Way as I had designated. Have not given to them since.
Will continue to donate on my own and urge everyone to give what they can to help the less fortunate!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Have you ever been one to know for sure or are you just assuming? And all those opposed to a womans right to choose should put their name on a list so we can drop off a precious life for you to raise that otherwise may have been prevented. And don`t think you only get one. As soon as we get to the bottom of the list we go right back to the top and drop off the next one. How many will you take before you say that something needs to be done about the unwanted pregnancies?

I have been. Also I am not opposed to a womans right to choose. I AM against a doctor being permitted to murder a baby and call it a "medical procedure". Should a woman choose NOT to have a child, then get birth control OR keep your friggin legs shut. Make that choice.