United Way

L

Loufan

We went through this a couple weeks ago at my building. We were called down 1 by 1 and finally I was up. I get this whole presentation on all the good things united way does and how UPS wants us to donate 50% more than last year. Now I'm sure United Way does a ton but I would much rather donate to the local charity and when I said no they expected a response which what i just said was my explanation. so they seemed pretty angry that I wouldn't do my part in making UPS look better and said in an angry voice "here sign right here saying you won't be donating to united way". Ummmm okay. Then I went back to work.No I'm didn't do that to get back at the company. Money is tight and I give a good donation to a charity that runs a local hospital. Where all 100% goes to the sick kids. But I must say it felt good to say no to the management pressure. Btw FT's did you give an entire weeks paycheck to the united way?

iloadthetruck

One thing I keep hearing is "I like to give to _____ charity and United Way won't let me do that." That couldn't be further from the truth. If you have a favorite charity (they need to be a non-profit 501(c)3, that's it) you can specify them on your UW form or online pledge. I've done it several years and every year I have received a thank you from the organizations I've donated to (which means they actually got the money). This year I had the chance to give a lot more than usual, it has been a fortunate year for me, and sent a lot of my money to places that helped me when I was a kid. These places don't get the 15% match but that 15% does go into the UW "slush fund", if that disturbs you, which it doesn't for me. I see it as an extra 15¢ for each dollar I specified making up for me being selfish and demanding where my money goes. There are a lot of programs out there that desperately need money and aren't a "favorite" of anyone, and that's really where UW can help.

tourists24

There's a lot of things i don't like, but my anger, disappointment, aggravation and negative feelings can't outweigh the fact that we live very well while many people struggle get by with far less.

Some struggle to eat, send kids to school, buy clothes, put gas in the car, pay rent or have heat.

Many live in worse conditions than we can imagine.

Set aside your disdain for the company.

Your donations benefit others that are far less fortunate than we are.
What does disdain for the company have to do with giving to charity? There are many different ways to give and no one I am hearing is saying not to give to whatever you choose. But many simply dont want to be associated in their giving through UPS. Again, if you wish to go that route, more power to ya. Not my way of giving though

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I should clarify that one of the main reasons that I donate through UW is that I am able to make a much more significant contribution through payroll deduction than I would if I had to write a single check. I suppose I could write 52 checks but this is much easier--the 15% match is icing on the cake.

bellesmom

One thing I keep hearing is "I like to give to _____ charity and United Way won't let me do that." That couldn't be further from the truth. If you have a favorite charity (they need to be a non-profit 501(c)3, that's it) you can specify them on your UW form or online pledge. I've done it several years and every year I have received a thank you from the organizations I've donated to (which means they actually got the money). This year I had the chance to give a lot more than usual, it has been a fortunate year for me, and sent a lot of my money to places that helped me when I was a kid. These places don't get the 15% match but that 15% does go into the UW "slush fund", if that disturbs you, which it doesn't for me. I see it as an extra 15¢ for each dollar I specified making up for me being selfish and demanding where my money goes. There are a lot of programs out there that desperately need money and aren't a "favorite" of anyone, and that's really where UW can help.

This may be true in your area about giving to the Charity of your choice, if so that's great. I tried to help a favorite charity years ago in our building, the response was wonderful by my co-workers. I was told later the contributions would not be going to my charity because it had to be "local" so everyone had to choose another. My charity fit all the requirement except they're based in Washington, DC. I still give to the United Way as there are many good organizations needing the help, it just has to be local.

iloadthetruck

I'm curious who told you it had to be "local". None of the organizations I've designated my UW contribution to have been local. (And to those places' credit, UW only gives them my name, so the first time around, somebody at each charity actually looked me up to mail me their thank yous, even when it wasn't a large amount). And this was on both the old paper pledge and the electronic pledge.

If you do everything through the electronic pledge form, you can do practically anything, and no supervisor is going to scrutinize it and say "I don't think you can do ________" because the web site does all the checking.

I do my pledge early so that when they do come around I can just hand the printout over and go "see ya".

Some local UWs try to discourage the specific donation because they want to have more discretionary funds. But they can't demand. Of course, local management can interpret that improperly.

Hopefully if you haven't given try to put your choice on the list, if you haven't filled out a paper pledge, go online and do it, no one will question your choices then!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Have to add my two cents. Those who oppose abortion are, in my humble opinion, people who don't want to get their hands dirty. They'll do anything to ensure every conception ends in a live birth.....but then the commitment stops.

Let the poor infants and parents worry about food, education, medical care and above all.....love.

Maybe there's just the mother, maybe just the father, maybe no parent at all.

So who's going to step in and give 17 years of their life to raise all the unwanted and unloved children. Why do you think the world's in such a sorry state now.

If you really support abortion....garner sufficient resources and then go the Oval Office and Capitol Hill and say:

"We now have in place a system to ensure every child born will receive all the love, attention, food, medical care and education necessary. We can provide a loving home for all of them... There is no need for abortions now"

Then I will support your position.

And don't feel that you're doing GOD's work....unless by some miracle you can take a woman's place in front of The Almighty and receive her judgement..

I'd much rather see you concentrate on all the unwanted children living in hell today.....Work to eliminate orphanages, Work to eliminate the need for Child Protection Services.

Work to help foundering parents gain the needed skills.

Work to give the children here now....a future.

How about "we" work to change the culture which encourages this cycle to keep going. If the government wants to continue to pay these women for their children that they CONTINUE to push out, then that's what they'll continue to do, after all its easier than working.

How about these idiots give up the child to someone who wants a baby but cannot, for whatever reason get pregnant on their own (my sister and brother-in-law come to mind)

It REALLY is a simple concept. If pregnancy is so unwanted for you, take your welfare/food stamps/disability and get birth control, or make your sperm donor wear a rubber, and if you combine those to its pretty safe.

I think that with Obama's "great" Health Care bill we should provide complimentary tube tying for women with 2 or more kids who have no way to support the child. But, we'd rather continue the cycle of poverty.

See, without poverty you wouldn't NEED the United Way.

bellesmom

I'm curious who told you it had to be "local". None of the organizations I've designated my UW contribution to have been local. (And to those places' credit, UW only gives them my name, so the first time around, somebody at each charity actually looked me up to mail me their thank yous, even when it wasn't a large amount). And this was on both the old paper pledge and the electronic pledge.

If you do everything through the electronic pledge form, you can do practically anything, and no supervisor is going to scrutinize it and say "I don't think you can do ________" because the web site does all the checking.

I do my pledge early so that when they do come around I can just hand the printout over and go "see ya".

Some local UWs try to discourage the specific donation because they want to have more discretionary funds. But they can't demand. Of course, local management can interpret that improperly.

Hopefully if you haven't given try to put your choice on the list, if you haven't filled out a paper pledge, go online and do it, no one will question your choices then!

Thanks for the advice, I never knew you could fill it out online so will do it that way from now on. I haven't done my UW yet so will try to get ahead of them and the paper form. The funds I had helped raise those years ago were going to research and family support of Tuberous Sclerosis. My daughter has TS so was personal for me and I did get irritated about the "local" stipulation, it came from the district UW UPS chairman for that year. I'll go check it out online now.

DS

Fenderbender
We have lots of "United way only" parking spots at our hub.I see the Volvo's and the inifinitys parked there.
I have my doubts about where all the money goes,but I still give them $2 a week.
I don't trust them.

DS

Fenderbender
As I said above, saying "no" because you think you are sticking it to UPS is in actuality sticking it to someone who could truly use the help that your donation could bring to them. Dave.

Or maybe we think that the United way does a lot more good for themselves than trying to help people.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
It may be a poor choice, but it's a choice between the mother and God. You're doing a great job helping the children who are here. That's all you can do. Nobody should be able to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her body.

It's the woman who carries the child and has ultimate responsibility. It's her choice. Nobody else can say what the ramifications are if she chooses not to give birth....Because there is only one God. And when a person stands in judgement, nobody else can take their place....And they cannot stand for anyone else.

Everyone must make that walk alone.
I admire you for your beliefs and how you help others. Please do the same for my beliefs. My experiences have shaped my opinions. I have a right to my beliefs, as do you. That is all I ask.