UNLOADER - Am I getting the job or not?

cmtmmdrh

I recently attended a tour for a package handling job. Once it ended, as i was driving home I get called back asking if i would like the job and to come back for an interview, so i turned around and went back to get interviewed. From my prospective, it went pretty well. He told me to go on online to fill out my W4, Direct Deposit, employee verification, etc. and that he'd call me back after the background check processed. It has already been 6 days, tomorrow making a week and still no phone call. I've tried calling back but i do not have correct numbers so I'm pretty stuck.

My questions are: does anyone think or don't think i got the job? How long did it take for a phone call when doing a background check? Also how many ups employees here started off as seasonal unloaders and loaders and were able to advance to becoming part time, what did you do, etc.

oh and if it matters my online application is active, the day of my interview my job application description changed from package handler to loader/unloader, and some are locked like my application agreement and contact and address information. They also have contacted my previous employer and heard nothing but good things from them, I know because they told me.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I know this is on a lot of threads, trust me ive read ALL of them. I really want to become a part of this company and my mind would be a lot more at ease if MY questions were answered by current ups employees, not the same scenario 5 years ago.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Maybe they'll hire you, maybe they won't. We are not HR, nor are we management. Therefore, anything we tell you is speculation based on what we've seen in the different states we live in. Go sit by the phone, and wait. And then wait some more. So, there's your honest answer from a current employee.

barnyard

KTM rider
All we can tell you is the exact same thing we would have told you 5 years ago.

Dunno.

You should try the UPS facebook page.

BrownArmy

Sorry, we actually don't know.

It's a total crap-shoot.

HR isn't the most punctual arm of the UPS octopus...

Wouldn't hurt to give a call and reiterate your desire for, well whatever it is that you desire.

blkmamba

They fact that you filled out the forms all but guarantees you are hired, now when you will be "officially" hired is a different story.

BrownArmy

HR told me sorry but better luck next year.

LOL, I had a good friend in middle school, we hung out all the time, his uncle drove for UPS, I thought this guy was the coolest.

I applied to UPS for about a decade, half heartedly.

Years later, got a hit on a pre-load position.

Lady from HR called me and asked me if I would be interested in a driving position.

(I had ten years driving experience with a previous job, I said hells yah!)

Had an interview (you need to shave, take the earrings out), had a second interview, took a driving test...

And waited two months.

Went to 'driving school', waited another month, called the center manager every day, another month went by, and one day he said 'come on in...'

Haven't stopped working since.

(It really is a crap-shoot...)

whiskers

My questions are: does anyone think or don't think i got the job? How long did it take for a phone call when doing a background check? Also how many ups employees here started off as seasonal unloaders and loaders and were able to advance to becoming part time, what did you do, etc.

The fact that they changed you to loader/unloader makes me think you did get the job. I don't remember how long it took for them to call me back.

I did start as a seasonal loader and was kept on after peak season... What did I do? If you mean while I was still seasonal, I left for work 30 mins early to give me a time cushion in case anything happened that could cause me to be late. I was never late, never missed any days, kept my mouth shut and worked hard without complaining. You're competing with other seasonal workers for that permanent position.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
After you fill out the W2 and other garbage, your in. It might take some time, since they have others as of now going through the safety training and work related training.

As for seasonal and getting to become an insider. Work hard during peak, do as they say, go the extra mile and over all learn the job inside and out. Then they might consider bringing you back after peak. They will, have to, fire you first and then rehire you the day after. They only can keep some many, and its very few, around after peak. So be a positive person and work your ass off. After 30-90 days in after peak, your in for life if you want.

Took 3 weeks for me to actually start working after "getting the job" and then layer off the next week for 2 weeks lol. Good luck, it's worth hanging I'm there coming from me anyway.

Desirae Chenea

I worked this past December as a driver helper. Last Wednesday I was phoned by hr asking me if I was interested in a job as a package handler of course I was elated accepted a tour appt for the next day at 700 am. My application status went from active to on file and its now almost Wednesday again is that normal or maybe Im thinking I didnt get the job ? help please any input would help and I have no phone numbers to call for the Napa Ca. location also my job title was changed from package handler to preloader?

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
They told you you're seasonal? What are they doing hiring seasonal help in March?

Anyways, don't blatantly break any rules for your first 30 work days and you will hit seniority and basically have the job for as long as you want it. It isn't a difficult job to get or keep.*

*Assuming you're mistaken on the seasonal part.

UPSGUY72

I worked this past December as a driver helper. Last Wednesday I was phoned by hr asking me if I was interested in a job as a package handler of course I was elated accepted a tour appt for the next day at 700 am. My application status went from active to on file and its now almost Wednesday again is that normal or maybe Im thinking I didnt get the job ? help please any input would help and I have no phone numbers to call for the Napa Ca. location also my job title was changed from package handler to preloader?

It's normal if you have the HR you can call and tell them your still interested and what's the status but what happens is they interview a number of people for a couple of positions that might not be open at the time of interview.

Package handler is just a generic term. Preloader means you will be working the morning shift the night shift is call local sort. the change from Package handler to preloader I would say is good for you...

UPSGUY72

They told you you're seasonal? What are they doing hiring seasonal help in March?

Anyways, don't blatantly break any rules for your first 30 work days and you will hit seniority and basically have the job for as long as you want it. It isn't a difficult job to get or keep.*

*Assuming you're mistaken on the seasonal part.

The person who started this thread and person you responded to are two separate people.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
I recently attended a tour for a package handling job. Once it ended, as i was driving home I get called back asking if i would like the job and to come back for an interview, so i turned around and went back to get interviewed. From my prospective, it went pretty well. He told me to go on online to fill out my W4, Direct Deposit, employee verification, etc. and that he'd call me back after the background check processed. It has already been 6 days, tomorrow making a week and still no phone call. I've tried calling back but i do not have correct numbers so I'm pretty stuck.

oh and if it matters my online application is active, the day of my interview my job application description changed from package handler to loader/unloader, and some are locked like my application agreement and contact and address information. They also have contacted my previous employer and heard nothing but good things from them, I know because they told me.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I know this is on a lot of threads, trust me ive read ALL of them. I really want to become a part of this company and my mind would be a lot more at ease if MY questions were answered by current ups employees, not the same scenario 5 years ago.
Have you ever been in jail??

Box Ox

You're in. A few more weeks' wait would be normal. Think the company digs pretty deep since lots of valuable things will be passing through your hands daily and all employees have to be bonded.