Unsafe driving

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would you sleep better at night knowing that you didn't rat out a fellow Teamster who had a history of unsafe driving and who earlier that day had plowed in to the rear of a minivan full of kids?

Cementups

Box Monkey
The OP was asking if he should run and tell management or address offender himself. The first thing I do is talk to the driver myself and say, "Hey man (or woman), I saw you doing this and that. Just be warned that if I am seeing you do it, that means anyone else can see you do it, especially management. And you never know if they are out there watching." I have done this before and it is effective to most people.
Now, if the problem were to persist, I may hint to management that I may have witnessed a driver driving recklessly in such and such area. But NEVER EVER would I say, "Hey boss, I saw Bob Jones driving down the sidewalks of Main street knocking down trash cans." I may have witnessed a brown truck doing that but I will certainly forget his name if and when asked. They can take the hint and run with it if they are a responsible management team and run with it as if I were a concerned citizen reporting a problem.

MikeWhite614

Any option other than "telling management." Teamster don't rat on Teamsters.
Not true.

I have had a union steward rat on me for "throwing packages" but I followed what you said and have never ratted out a union steward for being a bad steward.

Maybe I should have though.

oldngray

nowhere special
funny-one-line-jokes-14.jpg

Integrity

Binge Poster
The OP was asking if he should run and tell management or address offender himself. The first thing I do is talk to the driver myself and say, "Hey man (or woman), I saw you doing this and that. Just be warned that if I am seeing you do it, that means anyone else can see you do it, especially management. And you never know if they are out there watching." I have done this before and it is effective to most people.
Now, if the problem were to persist, I may hint to management that I may have witnessed a driver driving recklessly in such and such area. But NEVER EVER would I say, "Hey boss, I saw Bob Jones driving down the sidewalks of Main street knocking down trash cans." I may have witnessed a brown truck doing that but I will certainly forget his name if and when asked. They can take the hint and run with it if they are a responsible management team and run with it as if I were a concerned citizen reporting a problem.
Cementups,

Nice thought but it is risky bringing things up to fellow employees.

I have found over the years that many UPS workers are very unkind, unhappy, and very defensive when bringing up a concern like this.

It is usually seen as very confrontational and not worth the risk.

With a more stable workforce I think it would be fine, but not in this environment.

Also, the habitual offenders with no regard for doing the right thing are often the most unstable and defensive.

Sincerely,
I

UPS4Life

Not that I disagree but how do you know it was 60 In a 20? Maybe approach them unless they're an :censored2: who doesn't take advice and just ask why they were going so fast there. Maybe they were low on time not that it makes it ok.

If that doesn't work I would suggest going to the safety committee or your road sups and just say hey I've witnessed drivers going extremely fast on this road something needs addressed. Don't mention any names leave it to them to do their research and find the person. Or tell the person you saw management sitting there last week doing observations might want to watch your speed.

Just know you so have other options than running straight to management and saying joe smo was speeding here this fast.

Sent using BrownCafe App

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I'm curious, Dave. What gives you the right to read concerns that pass over the center manager's desk? What other information do you learn that you probably shouldn't be privy to?

Because, our Dave is special. He probably has a key to the center manager's office and goes in and sends e-mails to dispatch telling them to lighten him up so he can leave by 630, and load the work on other drivers.

IF the driver was doing 60 in a 20, then he deserves to get his ass handed to him, that's unsafe in a car, it's DEADLY ini a package car

oldngray

nowhere special
Most streets with 20 mph speed limit its impossible to drive as fast as 60. Especially in a lumbering package car.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If you saw a fellow Driver driving unsafe would you approach him, tell mgmt or mind your own business?
I would and have. I also tell them things they were never taught. Things you just learn. If they seem not to want to hear me, I dont do it any more, most new people are hungry for help.