Unsafe Equipment - ON TOPIC

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
It has been my observation that after this holiday season, much of our equipment is in need of repair.

I have noticed many trailers are out of alignment, or dogged. It is my hypothesis that many of the poorly trained seasonal workers and contractors have hit curbs without reporting it. This issue is hard to diagnose until a driver is out on the road.

To my fellow members, are you experiencing issues such as ChickenLegs has described?

Thebrownstreak

I saw it first hand with a seasonal who hit and destroyed the curb at the corner of my street. He took the turn way too tight, rolled up on curb, which has a manhole to access the storm drains, and the added weight of the vehicle on top of it collapsed the roof of the drain. I called it into to the building, and they said they knew nothing of it. Needless to say they said goodbye to him the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:

laffter

But he makes a point about the equipment.

Faulty and/or unsafe equipment is a way of life at UPS. Along with attempts to minimize p/t hours, contractual violations, understaffing, etc- this is how they think they save money.

I don't ever unload trailers, except Amazon's in Twilight, but the last time I unloaded one in Preload, that fker was leaking like crazy. Packages were soaked because they're too stingy to fix them. So, this behavior affects customers as well as employees.

Nothing is going to change until someone in corporate decides it will be profitable to change it.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
ChickenLegs, do not worry if equipment is out of repair. YOU have an obligation to our customers to do YOUR job. Should you become injured, I'm sure the United Parcel Service would take care of you.

TheFigurehead

Just do your job. UPS is more safety-conscious than most companies. Just do your job!

UPS is concerned about safety in as far as protecting themselves from liability from an accident. They talk alot about safety, but in practice, management would have us ignore everything we've ever learned if it gets one more box out the door a minute faster.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
UPS is concerned about safety in as far as protecting themselves from liability from an accident. They talk alot about safety, but in practice, management would have us ignore everything we've ever learned if it gets one more box out the door a minute faster.
TheFigureHead, I agree and disagree. I agree the company wants to move packages as fast as possible, but that's their business - to make money. I do disagree about management and their view on safety. It has been my observation that top management is very concerned about safety but those underneath them fail to act for a reason unknown to me.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
ChickenLegs, do not worry if equipment is out of repair. YOU have an obligation to our customers to do YOUR job. Should you become injured, I'm sure the United Parcel Service would take care of you.
Richard Harrow, I agree with you about my obligations to the customer and to the company. I also share obligations with the public and DOT to use safe equipment. These type of safety violations typically cause death(s) rather than injuries if overlooked.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
UPS as a whole is probably concerned with safety, however, as that thought filters down to the front line, it loses its intention. Just a week ago, I was with 9 sleeper tractors traveling from so cal to IOWA when we hit the rockies and a major snowstorm hit the higher elevations. We called ICC ( UPS ) to report white out conditions and the unsafe traveling conditions, and we were told to "KEEP MOVING, DO THE BEST YOU CAN"...

When pressed, ICC simply threatened to send us further to NEW JERSEY if we stopped the trucks.

AS a result, less than one hour later, one of our sleeper tractors crashed into a tunnel in the ice and snow seriously injuring two drivers.

Chicken Legs, there is a difference between propaganda and reality.

While the company may want safety to be their priority, the operation ultimately sees it differently and fails to calculate "RISK" when giving instructions.

TOS.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
AS far as equiptment goes, every hub is different. Ive seen tractors that are so beat up they shouldnt be on the road, yet they are. Ive seen trailers that are cracked and leak air that continue in service. Ive seen package cars that are so old its a miracle that they still run.

Newberry park hub has some of the oldest package cars in so cal, and Im talking 60's era cars. These things should be in a museum, but instead, they are still rolling on the streets with their 60's technology.

It all comes down to money and the refusal of the service department to spend the money to fix anything right. Trucks that smoke beyond acceptability because they wont spend the money to replace the fuel injectors and head gaskets in a timely fashion.

We have all seen it. Talk is cheap, talking to the safety committee is as useless as reading one of :censored2: posts.

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Faulty and/or unsafe equipment is a way of life at UPS. Along with attempts to minimize p/t hours, contractual violations, understaffing, etc- this is how they think they save money.

I don't ever unload trailers, except Amazon's in Twilight, but the last time I unloaded one in Preload, that fker was leaking like crazy. Packages were soaked because they're too stingy to fix them. So, this behavior affects customers as well as employees.

Nothing is going to change until someone in corporate decides it will be profitable to change it.
In UPS automotive you are strictly forbidden from getting up on the roof of trailers or PCs.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I saw it first hand with a seasonal who hit and destroyed the curb at the corner of my street. He took the turn way too tight, rolled up on curb, which has a manhole to access the storm drains, and the added weight of the vehicle on top of it collapsed the roof of the drain. I called it into to the building, and they said they knew nothing of it. Needless to say they said goodbye to him the next day.
Hope you feel good about yourself. Hope you can sleep at night. Hope the guy did dent have a bunch of kids at home and a wife and a house and car payment. Hope he doesn't find out who you are and where you live

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hope you feel good about yourself. Hope you can sleep at night. Hope the guy did dent have a bunch of kids at home and a wife and a house and car payment. Hope he doesn't find out who you are and where you live
What happened to integrity and honesty?

You must be in management!

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

It's ok, he was only seasonal. Always report any accidents, no matter what you're afraid will happen as a result. Since the alternative is getting walked out.