Unskilled Labor

Serf

I knew a guy from High school who graduated college in years with an accounting degree. He was hired right away by a known firm. He say, he was given so much training that the degree is just a foot in the door and he could've done this job with a high school diploma.
True to some extent. That the overall majority of the college experience will justify you getting your foot in the door to your first "real job". And what that basically equates to is "your ticket to the big game". And now you're in the new clique. This statement only goes so far though.
You are entitled to your own opinion but I think your thought of college as a way to keep the poor from getting good paying jobs is ludicrous. College Education is free in communist countries. As in paid for 100% by the Government. How much better off are all those individuals?

Which is both lazy and stupid on his part. Much of the acceptance process in universities today isn't based on intellect but on the applicants ability to pay the tuition
While I understand it is important to keep an open mind. I cannot really disagree with what he said. If you keep telling yourself he or she was only accepted to such school because of the ability to pay the tuition that's a folly on your part. If this were true people would be mortgaging their entire lives to attend an Ivy League University.

And yes companies do want college educated people to work unpaid or minimum wage internships to gain real hands on experience in their respective career fields. It's almost par for the course now. Looks good on a resume. And gives your perspective.

TUT

What they want are healthy young college educated people to work for minimum wage or less. (See the explosion in unpaid internships.)

They want to abolish min wage and pay even less. There is an article today about technology being tested that tracks all moving cars and people in an area per system. Link systems together and they can trace you for as long as those systems cover an area. All automatically, they will know where you are. The point of this demonstrated a bit in Gangs of NY, is how the ruling class would do more against you if they could and felt secure about it. So systems like this give you no room to breath, no way to revolt as evidence immediately will convict you. It's all about controlling you and when they feel safe enough, they will once again take. I'm of the belief if a handful of people could control the world and rid those undeeded, they would in fact execute the order. The pharaoh gene was never abolished, we just assumed everyone learned, they lost power because they couldn't maintain control, technology is now allowing it again and you can bet some are looking at using it that way.

As for tuition/college debt I think a lot of us can see this as another country wide crisis at some point.

Serf

As for tuition/college debt I think a lot of us can see this as another country wide crisis at some point

Good point. Saddle yourself with debt in hopes for the career/job you want, that's not there anymore. Or on the flipside, be too much of a spoiled diva to not want to perform the less glamorous, hard work that kids these days steer clear of.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Hi everyone! Im the new guy here. Im a 17 year RTD with express and have really enjoyed this forum for sometime. We are having a difficult time at my ramp keeping pt RTD's. It seems as soon as someone gets trained they are gone the next month. Its comical! The running joke around here is get your CDL with FedEx and land a good job with walmart, ups freight, fedex freight etc... Thats the main truck lines I've notice there flocking to. I would leave but with so many pt drivers leaving OT has been plentiful! Have y'all noticed this going on at other ramps?

Yes, yes and yes. I've posted how many of our drivers have gone on to Walmart.

Starting out at no less than $72,000 to $90,000. * sigh *

You youngsters should check into it.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
"If true Republicans want smaller Government, G.W. Bush totally disregarded that school of thought. Which is why I can't back him hard."
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm ... Migrant Worker. Your post was so long, I'd have to "pick" it apart, but the first part ... anywho:

If the Republicans want smaller government, WHY do they want to WORK (scratch that, they don't work) ...

... why do they want to be a PART of the GOVERNMENT?

If they weren't a GOVERNMENT WORKER ... wouldn't that make it smaller?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, yes and yes. I've posted how many of our drivers have gone on to Walmart.

Starting out at no less than $72,000 to $90,000. * sigh *

You youngsters should check into it.

WalMart pays their store workers peanuts, but pays their truck drivers very well. Plus, they drive top-of-the-line equipment. Unlike FedEx, WalMart is smart enough to know that it's worth it to pay for quality drivers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"If true Republicans want smaller Government, G.W. Bush totally disregarded that school of thought. Which is why I can't back him hard."

Ummm ... Migrant Worker. Your post was so long, I'd have to "pick" it apart, but the first part ... anywho:

If the Republicans want smaller government, WHY do they want to WORK (scratch that, they don't work) ...

Migrant Worker is a former government worker (military service). I guess we need to slash the military and get rid of al of those useless government workers killing our economy.

Serf

Migrant Worker is a former government worker (military service). I guess we need to slash the military and get rid of al of those useless government workers killing our economy.
Yes. In fact we do need to down size the Military tremendously. Having seen how at least one branch of service operates (Army). Massive amounts of fraud, waste, and abuse.

Serf

The obvious answer to the question is Yes. Of course it would be smaller if they "weren't a Government worker." But you're being silly. Were talking about limiting the size and spending, not cutting out completely.

EffOff

We poor orphans who once worked at the Company Formerly Known As Kinko's also get :censored2: on as "unskilled". Oh really? Let's see: we have to be competent on various computer softwares; program files; correct files; run complex machinery; know how to deal when complex machinery breaks down or won't cooperate; calibrate machinery; maintain and to some extent repair machinery (which, given FedEx's generosity, sometimes involves duct tape and cardboard); understand good printing standards; multi-task; assemble documents in various printed formats; catch spelling errors & file errors; package and ship products; and that's the bare minimum. Where I work, we're being converted to what is essentially a manufacturing unit. BUT we're being paid at the same level as retail store employees, even though we never see a live customer.

This is not only outrageous, it's unethical, exploitative and dishonest on the part of FedEx. It takes YEARS of EXPERIENCE to do my job competently. But Fedex lives in this happy greedy CEO dream world where a McDonalds-worthy employee could easily and immediately do the tasks we do. We're not being paid adequately; hell, we're not being paid a living wage. And the pressure is on to CONSTANTLY to expand our output. You wouldn't believe the struggles we go through every damn day trying to work with the crappy files stupid customers send us on antiquated software that we have to somehow make printable. AND recently our ship time was moved up 2 hours. So now our daily output is down, but Fedex can't seem to figure out that the new ship time MIGHT be a factor. What geniuses.

And bonuses? They're an insult. The chump-change equivalent of giving employees the finger.

It's high time FedEx got unionized. It's what both employees, and Fred S, but in a different context - deserve.

Serf

We poor orphans who once worked at the Company Formerly Known As Kinko's also get :censored2: on as "unskilled". Oh really? Let's see: we have to be competent on various computer softwares; program files; correct files; run complex machinery; know how to deal when complex machinery breaks down or won't cooperate; calibrate machinery; maintain and to some extent repair machinery
Could you be more specific? What is the job title? And what constitutes "complex machinery?"

EffOff

Right. Microsoft Access is so taxing.

The :censored2: is Microsoft Access? We deal with PPA, and PPA is a bitch of a program which, hilariously, is supposed to make converting files for print EASIER. Instead it drops images, changes fonts, dicks around with color - it's a freaking mess loaded with glitches. For a while it was sending every job to our printers, no matter WHAT it was, set up to be stapled. We had to go through every single job and change that, and when a job has like 30 files in it, that bites. We were told that the programmers realized that the flaw was there, but said a collective "meh" and sent it out to us anyway. That went on for months. Supposedly it's fixed now, but new goofs will probably pop up eventually. Bet on it.

Last edited:

EffOff

Could you be more specific? What is the job title? And what constitutes "complex machinery?"

Printers, scorers, online GBCs, folders - yeah, they look like you just load 'em and push buttons. But they're temperamental, require a lot of maintenance and a lot of experience to operate properly (especially experience regarding how to get around their shortcomings and design flaws).

Job title? I think "drudge" just about sums it up.

Serf

Printers, scorers, online GBCs, folders - yeah, they look like you just load 'em and push buttons. But they're temperamental, require a lot of maintenance and a lot of experience to operate properly (especially experience regarding how to get around their shortcomings and design flaws).

Job title? I think "drudge" just about sums it up.
:peaceful:

P

prodriver

Any courier that is halfway decent has got skills, whether it be express, ground/HD, or ups. Been doing this '99 have yet to be on a route where I could straight line.

STFXG

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1392327919.342915.jpg

Sent using BrownCafe App