Unsure how to handle this or if I should

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
im a yard walker in OK and I get to work do the usual and print off my yard walks well before I get to exit the office door my sup was like some driver from NJ broke down and left his trailer with 80% load in it on yard and we gotta offload it to another working trailer. So she and I and 1 other shifter helped and we got job done. Well as I’m headed back in side to cool down a driver passing by says “ That’s a grievance right there that’s my work I could of gotten paid for . Boy you just made me rich”.... I was just following orders .. I’m confused at all this what is this driver talking about ? Only worked here for 2 months

What’s a yard walker?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Basically somebody gets free money for everything you do. You can certainly help an employee log your hours worked (doing anything physical, basically) but management does not need to know nothing about anything. It is your own moral judgement vs job security to get out of the work you are doing if it clearly violates the UPS-Teamsters union contracting.

quad decade guy

now I'm confused. What the friend is a contract worker doing handling packages? and what is a contract worker? and what is a walker?

A yard walker is a TEMP. They are hired instead of hourlies. We have a bunch of them here. AND she can be let go anytime. They come and go here regularly. Yard walkers basically do anything a part-
timer does. We have one that has been promoted to full time sup. in just 6 months....can you imagine the OP being a Feeder on road sup...? Most of our new Feeder on road sup.'s have never driven anything bigger than a passenger car. Experience leading to promotion? Temp/clerk/dispatch.

BTW, Okla. City had a recent fatality on the yard.

You are experiencing the future.

quad decade guy

So basically if my supervisor tells me to do it again I tell her that’s union work not my job?

If you EVER say that to any Mgt....start looking for another temp gig. I can't imagine a faster way to get fired. Most of the temps(around here) get let go for crappy attitudes and can't seem to get with the program. Clueless on safety. Not all. But many.

quad decade guy

Ok thanks guys ! I really appreciate it ! It cleared some confusion.... I just kind of feel like the outcast and as if I’m walking on eggshells everyday as a contracted worker if that makes sense ! Y’all have a great weekend and stay safe

Just understand: you are taking away a permanent hourly part-timers job. Permanent hourly employees don't like that. All contractors take away permanent jobs.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I wasn’t aware UPS used temps, they sure as hell don’t where I’m at. The “yard walkers” at my hub are supervisors.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
So basically if my supervisor tells me to do it again I tell her that’s union work not my job?
Work as directed. Someone else will file. Union leadership can shut it down too but they are only around at election time for the most part.

MattM

Just understand: you are taking away a permanent hourly part-timers job. Permanent hourly employees don't like that. All contractors take away permanent jobs.
Doesn't that build hospitality and harassment from the union workers who make smart @:3 remarks? Keep your grievances to yourself. Everyone's just trying to survive, temps and all.

Unless the union worker was making more of a casual comment, none of that hostility should be directed at a temp.
------
"That’s a grievance right there that’s my work I could of gotten paid for . Boy you just made me rich”
-----
Unless he's referencing the supervisor working, literally anything you do can be a grievance in his eyes. But again, keep your darn comments to yourself.

quad decade guy

Doesn't that build hospitality and harassment from the union workers who make smart @:3 remarks? Keep your grievances to yourself. Everyone's just trying to survive, temps and all.

Unless the union worker was making more of a casual comment, none of that hostility should be directed at a temp.
------
"That’s a grievance right there that’s my work I could of gotten paid for . Boy you just made me rich”
-----
Unless he's referencing the supervisor working, literally anything you do can be a grievance in his eyes. But again, keep your darn comments to yourself.

Just for clarity(I'm dense), who or what are you talking about?