Unused vacation upon retiring

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I may have posted incorrectly of your gender, my apologies. I think if you retire on the last day of the month you should get your first pension check the next day. Can this not happen in your situation?
at UPS I have to be both male and female to survive. it takes about 3 months for the paperwork to be processed. I think you do get paid those 3 months. it goes back to the date you requested as your last day. I intend to save up enough money until that retro check arrives. I have 40 sick days and haven't used any vaca this year but would like to enjoy most of them before I retire.

I know most people work a last day and stay on the books for those 3 months. ive seen drivers come in with full beards to pick up their vacation checks, have a party and big send off and the whole nine yards.

that aint for me. this is just a job to me. no more, no less. there will be another job after this one.

at UPS I have to be both male and female to survive. it takes about 3 months for the paperwork to be processed. I think you do get paid those 3 months. it goes back to the date you requested as your last day. I intend to save up enough money until that retro check arrives. I have 40 sick days and haven't used any vaca this year but would like to enjoy most of them before I retire.

I know most people work a last day and stay on the books for those 3 months. ive seen drivers come in with full beards to pick up their vacation checks, have a party and big send off and the whole nine yards.

that aint for me. this is just a job to me. no more, no less. there will be another job after this one.
Your posts are confusing us. It does take a few months for your paperwork to go through.

Example, you want to retire in June. You put your request in now. Once approved, you will get tour check when you retire.

The only waiting time is approval from the pension board.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Your posts are confusing us. It does take a few months for your paperwork to go through.

Example, you want to retire in June. You put your request in now. Once approved, you will get tour check when you retire.

The only waiting time is approval from the pension board.
im a women. im not supposed to make sense. the only important thing is that I understand what I say.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Let the appropriate people know your retirement date well in advance and you can get your pension check shortly after retirement. My plan is to retire in the fall. I'm not going the whole year without time off. I'll burn my vacation and by the time I retire I'll have another 5 weeks accrued to take in cash.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let the appropriate people know your retirement date well in advance and you can get your pension check shortly after retirement. My plan is to retire in the fall. I'm not going the whole year without time off. I'll burn my vacation and by the time I retire I'll have another 5 weeks accrued to take in cash.

My tentative date is 7/1/18 so backing it up 8 weeks brings us to 5/1/18. I agree that it would be hard to not take any time off between 1/1/18 and 5/1/18, especially with the way our winters have been the past few years and the predictions that they may get even worse.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
what are some reasons for not being approved? I'd hate to let the co. know I'm going out and then find out I have to stay.

by appropriate people I guess you mean H.R.? can they keep it secret?

they better. I don't want to discuss my retirement with 300 people and have a party and a big deal made out of it.

"just want to fade away."

what are some reasons for not being approved? I'd hate to let the co. know I'm going out and then find out I have to stay.

by appropriate people I guess you mean H.R.? can they keep it secret?

they better. I don't want to discuss my retirement with 300 people and have a party and a big deal made out of it.

"just want to fade away."
The only way you wouldn't get approved is if you don't have enough years of service and age.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only reason I could see for not being approved for a retirement date is not having the required numbers for a year of pension credit for each of the years that you need to be eligible to retire. We have had several retirees who were surprised to learn they had to work longer than expected due to too much unpaid time off during the year.

This is why it is so important to check your annual pension statements and to correct any errors immediately rather than wait until you get closer to retirement. When you get within 5 years of retirement send in a request to your pension office for a projected retirement date. I did this and was pleasantly surprised to learn I can retire 9 months earlier than expected. Make sure to track everything from that point forward to make sure there are no surprises.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My vacation calendar runs May 1st - April 31st .
Many retire on May 1st thinking that by being paid for their vacation & sick time upfront that their first pension check will arrive the next month .
That is not true .
All those days off are still being recorded for an active employee . And their hours will be posted to their pension fund on the following month's third week .
So leaving in May with 7-8 weeks pay means that May hours will be posted in late June , June hours will be posted in late July and your official last day will be when you have no more days left . Try to schedule your last day near the end of the month , so you won't run into another month's hours posting delay .
That's why I'm planning on many summer weeks off and continue to work afterwards until the date I have picked to be my last .