*UPDATE UPS LAYS OFF ALL AIR DRIVERS IN MANHATTAN 43RD St building and Manhattan Sou

air_dr

Re: *UPDATE UPS LAYS OFF ALL AIR DRIVERS IN MANHATTAN 43RD St building and Manhattan

Yes it's no secret that UPS's plan is to get rid of all part time air drivers.
By saying "all part time air drivers" I take that to mean across the whole union, from NY to Cal. and everywhere in between, not just Local 804, right? Do you have any idea what time frame the comapny is looking at...by the spring...in their 10 year plans...or somewhere in between, if anyone even knows?

EyesLookingIn

Re: *UPDATE UPS LAYS OFF ALL AIR DRIVERS IN MANHATTAN 43RD St building and Manhattan

By saying "all part time air drivers" I take that to mean across the whole union, from NY to Cal. and everywhere in between, not just Local 804, right? Do you have any idea what time frame the comapny is looking at...by the spring...in their 10 year plans...or somewhere in between, if anyone even knows?

EyesLookingIn

Sorry I can only speak for NYC , don't really know about any place else...

siredline09

Sorry I can only speak for NYC , don't really know about any place else...

so far still laid off also all AM airdrivers in NYC laid off even guys with 16 years in company laid off as well im just going to move on im done wasting my time with this company that mistreats all there pt air drivers just turned in my union withdraw card so i dont charged back dues

siredline09

Thank you for the reply to my questions, EyesLookingIn.

Siredline010, welcome back, I'm grateful you are still with us and didn't get totally turned off by some of the rude jokes and comments that were directed at you. What's going on with you anyway? Are you or will you soon be back driving? Or are you working in the hub? Or did you take a layoff?

I'm curious about the remark "but now UPS is only looking at being productive on paper not the cost." This may be related to something from a yet still earlier post...
What do you mean by p/t air drivers being "2 to 4 hours over every day." Are you saying air drivers in your hub are working 6-8 hours a day? (I'm only getting around 3, and that is close to what most other air drivers are getting in my building as well.) Now, anyway, if p/t air drivers are getting 6-8 hours, why does the company see that as a problem? OT doesn't kick in until after 8 hours.

Also, perhaps the bigger question I don't understand is the "productivity on paper versus the cost." Why?... I don't know if this is also related, but up until recently, the powers that be in my center were adamant that I pick up a any particular drop box, even if it is in an unmanned, outdoor location, within 15 minutes of a certain agreed upon time. My thinking was who cares when its picked up...so long as I am back in the building on time, have enough work for my route etc. The time I p/u each drop box was used to calculate my "pick up compliance" or something. Now they say they only care about when I service the businesses I go to, which make a whole lot more sense to me.

thanks air dr....everything ok haven't heard anything only that if we work only Saturdays we might reserve a future spot in the company but i'm not risking coming in 1 day of work and getting paid less in unemployment and i really don't feel like paying dues to a union that really hasn't been helpful at all to us air drivers...I feel like there using that Saturday excuse to use us until they find enough full time employees to replace us so no thanks UPS...anyways been a whole week and I kinda miss working my routes.. too bad our language in our contract is so messed up hopefully gets fixed in 2013...but if i hear anything will def keep you guys posted! PS any news from you air guys anywhere else?

EyesLookingIn

thanks air dr....everything ok haven't heard anything only that if we work only Saturdays we might reserve a future spot in the company but i'm not risking coming in 1 day of work and getting paid less in unemployment and i really don't feel like paying dues to a union that really hasn't been helpful at all to us air drivers...I feel like there using that Saturday excuse to use us until they find enough full time employees to replace us so no thanks UPS...anyways been a whole week and I kinda miss working my routes.. too bad our language in our contract is so messed up hopefully gets fixed in 2013...but if i hear anything will def keep you guys posted! PS any news from you air guys anywhere else?

WOW I was told by a labor guy with UPS that all the p/t air drivers were going to be called in on Friday New Years Eve and get paid for the holidays even if they only worked 1 day? You should find out if any p/t air drivers work on Friday with less time then you , even if your a PM air driver its all 1 list in the building.

If you still can work Saturday you should because you will get medical for the month if you work 1 day in the month.

Also heard that p\t air drivers can work on the preload or local shift if they have openings. Preload would be good since you can still go out and do airs if the centers need you and get air rate.

But you should call tha hall and demand to know if Tim S knows how many air drivers are laid-off in 43rd st and if he doesn't why not!!!!!!

air_dr

so far still laid off also all AM airdrivers in NYC laid off even guys with 16 years in company laid off as well im just going to move on im done wasting my time with this company that mistreats all there pt air drivers just turned in my union withdraw card so i dont charged back dues
Absolutely no announcements of any upcoming changes affecting air drivers in my hub what so ever... Now when they switched me from an AM (Tu-Sa) to PM (M-friend) air, my center manager called me on a Monday morning, told me he had decided to eliminate my job, that he had something for me on the PM side in the same area, and asked me to report for work that evening at 5:00. So much for advance notice!

UPS is certainly not the only place to work, but I would encourage you, Siredline010, not to do anything impulsively or in anger. If you are willing to, I am quite certain someone could find some work in the hub for you, though you may have to ask more than one person and perahps go over some people's heads.

The full wage for an air driver is over $22/hr, which is quite good in my opinion. I don't know whether that would change if you went back to working in the hub. When I went back to the building at one point for a couple of months, they kept paying me the air driver rate at the time. Your benefits, of course, are not affected. Even if they did cut you pay some, consider how easily you could find another job that compensates you as much as UPS. I know for me personally, I believe I would want to stay with Brown because I am not convinced I would be better off elsewhere, but I realize you may feel differently. And I know you have plenty of company. Much of the American story is about people going to new places and trying new things in search if a better life.

All the best to you, whatever you ultimately do.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Thank you for the reply to my questions, EyesLookingIn.

What do you mean by p/t air drivers being "2 to 4 hours over every day." Are you saying air drivers in your hub are working 6-8 hours a day? (I'm only getting around 3, and that is close to what most other air drivers are getting in my building as well.) Now, anyway, if p/t air drivers are getting 6-8 hours, why does the company see that as a problem? OT doesn't kick in until after 8 hours.

Over/allowed hours deals with how much time drivers go over the dispatched allowance, i.e. the route you are sent out on is dispatched for 4hrs, but you get it done in 4.5hrs; no overtime is involved, but you were "over your allotted hours" by .5 clicks, or a half-hour. For their plans and cost-benefit analysis dealing with what trips to run or not, they pay much attention to the over/under. By nature of what air drivers do, it being very inefficient-and the plans are built on being efficient, like only making right turns while driving and what not-due to the large areas they cover, they are going to be over more often than not. In a 3 hr window, without a heavy bulk stop, they would like to see you run 60 stops or more, or about 20 stops an hour.

siredline09

Air Dr same with me back in May 2010 they told me I was going on the PM side on the air department on 5th floor also at the same time other guys with less senority then me was sent to Preload. So I did the air department thing for 3 months then they told me that there are sending us to do pick ups for our centers instead of the Air department pick ups which consisted of very light pick ups... then after doing that for 2 and a half months they told me you are going to preload so i did preload til Oct 13 2010 then after that they said sorry your laid off fro preload it wasnt just me it was a bunch of guys they were calling one by one to the office...so we went on layoff for a whole month then they called the air drivers back from layoffs around i say around mid november then they finally laid us off DEC 23 but this time it was ALL AM airdrivers.....

air_dr

...so i did preload til Oct 13 2010 then after that they said sorry your laid off fro preload it wasnt just me it was a bunch of guys they were calling one by one to the office...so we went on layoff for a whole month then they called the air drivers back from layoffs around i say around mid november then they finally laid us off DEC 23 but this time it was ALL AM airdrivers.....
When they did the layoffs on the preload, it is my understanding that they would have needed to go in reverse seniority order based on company seniority (the day you started working at UPS) not classification seniority (the day you started air driving). I find anyone being laid off the preload at that time of year quite surprising, since UPS volume (at least where I am at) starts picking up in October, first, with the stores stocking up for the holiday shopping season, then toward mid and late November, the additional residential deliveries. Anyway...if they laid you off the preload while keeping any another indidividual working who had less company seniority than you, I believe you could file a grievance to receive pay for the time you were laid off. I would definitely encourage you to look into the matter.

air_dr

APettyJ, your post helped clarify some things for me, thank you. But I am still left wondering...you said
By nature of what air drivers do, it being very inefficient-and the plans are built on being efficient, like only making right turns while driving and what not-due to the large areas they cover, they are going to be over more often than not.
How could giving work that is by nature inefficient to higher paid full timers either improve efficiency or in some way, save the company money?

APettyJ, your post helped clarify some things for me, thank you. But I am still left wondering...you said
How could giving work that is by nature inefficient to higher paid full timers either improve efficiency or in some way, save the company money?
It helps them make there numbers and that makes them look good and that translates into more stock and bonus for them.

air_dr

It helps them make there numbers and that makes them look good and that translates into more stock and bonus for them.
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Smart[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]My dad gave me one dollar bill[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]'Cause I'm his smartest son,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And I swapped it for two shiny quarters[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]'Cause two is more than one! [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]And then I took the quarters[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And traded them to Lou[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]For three dimes -- I guess he don't know[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]That three is more than two! [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]Just then, along came old blind Bates[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And just 'cause he can't see[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]He gave me four nickels for my three dimes,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And four is more than three! [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]And I took the nickels to Hiram Coombs[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Down at the seed-feed store,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And the fool gave me five pennies for them,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And five is more than four! [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]And then I went and showed my dad,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And he got red in the cheeks[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]And closed his eyes and shook his head--[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Too proud of me to speak! [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]- Shel Silverstein [/SIZE][/FONT]

menotyou

bella amicizia

Our air driver has been out with an "injury" for about a year. The committed air that cannot be delivered on time by the regular drivers is dispatched with drivers on the way to their delivery areas. Our start time is 0900 on Monday and 0915 the rest of the week so EAM's are usually offered by seniority order of the drivers who are in the bldg before start time.
Why is injury in quotes? Being out on injury isn't fun, especially when you were injured by "working as directed". (I don't even want to hear that they can't work you into an injury if you work safe and follow HABITS. Try working preload nowadays. You get written up for shutting the belt off for an over 70. They write you up for not working as directed. They get you on Art 7 before you can defend yourself. The steward and BA are jerks who only care about themselves. The safety committee is a joke, too. They take a stand on a particular situation and then cave.) It, also, isn't fun when you should be making $1500.00 a week and you are only getting $244.00 a week while you fight to get your correct award. Workers comp(in NY) is worse that a UPS manager. 5 doctors on your side. One on theirs. Yet, you have to suffer and fight to get back what you are owed. Not to mention your co-workers thinking you are vacation and lolly gagging around. You spend 4 hrs a day, 5 days a week at therapy working your ass of to go back to a job full of ungrateful S.O.B's. Not to mention the constant pain you will be in for the rest of your life because of Parker and Psycho Suzie. And, another employee was injured because of that preload. She had the pleasure of having a member of said safety committee attempt to scold her for what she cost the building, instead of what the building has cost her for the rest of her life. I am a full time driver now, but I have to scrape for everything right now. Fun, fun, fun. Just ask my therapist how hard I am working instead of working the system like the rest of the sludge out there.
Do I sound angry? Good. I am.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why do you think "injury" is in quotes? There is a lot of suspsicion as to whether the injury exists or not, which fits right in with this person's character, or lack thereof.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Why do you think "injury" is in quotes? There is a lot of suspsicion as to whether the injury exists or not, which fits right in with this person's character, or lack thereof.

If you read your post, you will see that you put quotes around it. That is why. As far as whether it is a true injury, that would depend on the injury as to whether you can fake. With me, my doctors just looked at my MRI's. The ins dr (IME) didn't.
I have had UPS do too much to me(attempt to fire me for not pitching packages into the woods, harass, assault, injure) that I hope someone gets one over on them. No offense meant.