Upper management creating special form

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Basically I am just curious as to whether this is something management can get away with or not and to get any input/opinions on this. I'll try to keep this short. Tonight we had a PCM and there was some information given to us stating that the DM has decided that due to a recent thermal event in another state but still within his district that we as mechanics would soon be required to sign a form along with our FT Sup and Fleet Manager that states that every vehicle in our fleet is free of metal "P clamps."

According to the DM, this form would have some kind of commitment of some sort but that after this is signed we would be terminated if there was a thermal event and the vehicle was found to have these clamps regardless if these clamps were the cause. The vehicle that had the "thermal event" was equipped with these clamps but it was determined that they were not the cause of the fire. I have contacted my shop steward about it but have not heard back from him just yet. I'm wondering if anyone else can provide some insight?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Basically I am just curious as to whether this is something management can get away with or not and to get any input/opinions on this. I'll try to keep this short. Tonight we had a PCM and there was some information given to us stating that the DM has decided that due to a recent thermal event in another state but still within his district that we as mechanics would soon be required to sign a form along with our FT Sup and Fleet Manager that states that every vehicle in our fleet is free of metal "P clamps."

According to the DM, this form would have some kind of commitment of some sort but that after this is signed we would be terminated if there was a thermal event and the vehicle was found to have these clamps regardless if these clamps were the cause. The vehicle that had the "thermal event" was equipped with these clamps but it was determined that they were not the cause of the fire. I have contacted my shop steward about it but have not heard back from him just yet. I'm wondering if anyone else can provide some insight?
Are you in the Teamsters Union?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Don't sign anything like that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What the hell is a P clamp?
image.jpeg

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I don't think "failing to certify that a vehicle is free of metal 'P clamps'" would fall under the umbrella of "serious/gross negligence"; especially if you're not being given adequate time to inspect and ensure every such vehicle is free of those. As such, that sounds like an extra contract agreement (as @upschuck said).

Talk to your BA.

clean hairy

I am guessing a thermal event is a truck caught on fire.
I really don't understand what p clamps do, though I have a question on this.
Did the trucks roll off the assembly line with these p clamps on them?
If so, are the mechanics being told to remove something put on the truck at the factory?
Maybe someone could make this easier to understand.

Gear

Parts on Order
I haven't heard anything about a letter. I thought the P clamps werent suppose to be on main power wires-starter wires and alternator wires. Either way Im not signing anything.

Some of the "thermal events" or fire (the word the entire world uses) causes they come up with are nuts. There was one a few weeks or months ago, that UPS said was from transmission oil boiling over and catching fire. How the hell does tranny fluid boil over out of the dipstick? Allisons have temp sensors and limp modes/fallback modes. Ive never seen that. Fu$king nerds!

As far as P clamps go. Every heavy truck maker uses them with no problems. But some how Super UPS decides they know better then the OEM Engineers. You know, because after working 30 years at UPS, you are now at the top of the world and know everything. Some of the ideas management comes up with blows my mind. After they retire from UPS, the CIA should hire them for counter terrorism.

10 out of 100,000 trucks catch on fire, and they can solve the problem with removing the P clamps. I made those numbers up, but you know what Im saying.

ski or die

Ski or Die
They cannot make you sign anything. Unless its your paycheck, but those are direct deposits. Also, you can sign a grievance. Nothing in the contract states you will be disciplined if you refuse to sign extra contractual agreements. Just look at them and smile, and tell them "I don't think so".

Bottom rung

Maybe these hoopty's are catching fire because they're wired with kite string. Trans fluid boils at over 500°. The only way it's getting that hot is if its dumped on to an exhaust manifold.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I am guessing a thermal event is a truck caught on fire.
I really don't understand what p clamps do, though I have a question on this.
Did the trucks roll off the assembly line with these p clamps on them?
If so, are the mechanics being told to remove something put on the truck at the factory?
Maybe someone could make this easier to understand.
Yes the trucks are equipped with them from the factory, there has been a campaign on removing them but no we are not given adequate time to find and remove them all. Also I have not seen a campaign for the newer trucks which are still being built with these installed.

Gear

Parts on Order
Yes the trucks are equipped with them from the factory, there has been a campaign on removing them but no we are not given adequate time to find and remove them all. Also I have not seen a campaign for the newer trucks which are still being built with these installed.

We'll be removing P clamps for the rest of our time with UPS. I doubt OEM manufacturers will stop using them because of our supervisors.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Yeah they are just looking to blame us as usual. I would think this issue could be resolved with the manufacturer if they were truly worried about it but that probably makes too much sense.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sounds like an Article 6 issue. Extra Contractual Agreements.