UPS abusing a weakness in the grievance machinery

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Management is firing drivers, mostly for petty or trivial incidents, by applying the "proven dishonesty" sin to it. I would like to share with you the strategy management is using towards drivers out here in the west.

Once the driver is out of service management waits for the last minute to have a center level hearing. At the center level the company, knowing its case is weak, will offer reinstatement with "time served" (meaning no back pay). If the driver refuses to take the deal he/she is told UPS will dead lock at panel and be forced into arbitration- which can be months and months down the road without a paycheck. Needless to say most drivers cant afford this and take the deal.

I feel this is a weakness in our grievance machinery that needs to be addressed. UPS knows this and is abusing it

Thanks to everyone. Be safe and retire healthy!

Here are a link back to a thread and its first post covering one Local's attempt to counter this strategy:

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/sitting-arbitrator.222808/

Sitting Arbitrator
This past Thursday was the first time that we had a fifth man (arbitrator) sitting at our discipline hearings. We had three cases that we heard.

The first case was a 32 year employee who was fired for dishonesty. The company accused him of stealing time, 2minutes hear 2 minutes there. This case was the first that was heard and took 2 and a half hours to be presented. The case was deadlocked by the panel and the arb broke the tie.
Grievant was put back to work!

Second case was a tug driver at O'Hara who hit a pothole and broke the windshield and blew out a tire. He reported the damage and was fired for not reporting an accident. Again the panel was deadlocked and the arb broke the tie.
Greivant was put back to work!

Third case was an air driver that slid on snow/ice in to an intersection and was involved in a serious accident. She was fired for gross negligence. Again the panel was deadlocked and the arb broke the tie.
Grievant was put back to work!

I encourage all locals to get this sitting arbitrator in their language! All three of these employees would have been out at least 18 months waiting on arbitration!

The tried and true response is "I have no recollection". It`s not saying yes or no. And it makes them show their hand in which case you now know which way to CYA.
It was good enough for Ollie North,it`s good enough for us.