UPS accused by New York of illegal cigarette shipments

Returntosender

New York (AFP) - New York officials Wednesday charged shipping giant UPS with delivering millions of contraband cigarettes that evaded tens of millions of dollars in state taxes.

Between 2010 and 2014, UPS is accused of making more than 78,500 cigarette shipments on behalf of illegal cigarette vendors.

The suit charges UPS of running afoul of New York's tightly-regulated cigarette sales, which are limited to licensed wholesale dealers.

Dealers must affix a stamp on each package attesting they have paid state excise taxes before they are allowed into the New York market.

The state tax is set high to discourage consumption, but that makes it lucrative for people to smuggle in cigarettes from other low-tax states.

A New York investigation found UPS "knowingly" shipped thousands of cartons of unstamped cigarettes to unlicensed wholesalers or retailers, the complaint said.

http://news.yahoo.com/ups-accused-y...vbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDU1dJTUMwXzEEc2VjA3Nj#

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
LOL
Let's not sue the shippers or the receivers, lets sue the guys who don't open the boxes.

BTW, here's a picture of 4 new peak casual drivers if New York wins this BS suit.
ATF-620x362.jpeg

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Look at a couple thousand boxes tonight and had no idea what was in them.

So I guess we are supposed to all have x-ray vision? Leave it to the People's Republic of New York. Surprised California didn't beat them to this.

Oak

I have an account for my small business. At no time, no where in the process of creating a label does the system ask what is in the package.

The post office has never asked what was in a package any time I've shipped with them either.