UPS Adopts Control Tower Process to Cope With Holidays

Discussion in 'The Latest UPS Headlines' started by cheryl, Oct 25, 2014.

1. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

UPS Adopts Control Tower Process to Cope With Holidays - Bloomberg

Measures Atlanta-based UPS is taking include implementing a “control tower” process, which entails comparing big retail customers’ actual shipping volumes to those they originally projected, and going back to them to “mute” their demands if volumes get too high, Myron Gray, president of U.S. operations, told analysts on a conference call.

UPS’s forecast for December deliveries follows FedEx’s prediction this week of record shipments of packages between Black Friday and Christmas Eve. Memphis, Tennessee-based FedEx sees an 8.8 percent increase from last year, as e-commerce hits a peak.

UPS plans to spend $175 million on improving its operations during the holiday rush. It’s opening 14 temporary shipping facilities to help expedite deliveries, upgrading its Orion software to plot the best route for drivers, and is hiring as many as 95,000 seasonal workers to field packages.
  2. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

Two things bother me. Tower process, and Upgrade Orion.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. retired2000

retired2000 Active Member

Turning away business
  4. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

I wonder if this peak business have to pay a increased shipping rate for not meeting they're minimum package projections sent through UPS.
  5. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

I hear we turn off ORION for peak. Interesting.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

(Don't tell the shareholders)
  7. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

That would be a wonderful present.....................
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Rainman

Rainman Its all good.

Orion compliance is pretty low on the list of priorities at my center during peak. Last year I used it when it made sense, and ignored it when it didn't. I probably ran about 50%. I never heard a word.
  9. OLDMAN3

OLDMAN3 Guest

So the plan is:
    1. Turn off ORION so we can do the job
    2. Upgrade ORION to plot the best route

I see no contradiction. Turning off ORION will definitely be an upgrade.
    They got this one right.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. nayrsiem

nayrsiem Member

If they tell us to turn off Orion that would be a great gift. I'd almost forget about the turkey I used to get every year.