UPS Agrees To Purchase Overnite

G

gman

I was under the impression this was to handle the heavy freight that Menlo will generate. I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with small pkg. It will compete directly with FedEx freight. They are the guys who should be worried.

T

teddyr

Ill be here long after 2010, and if it wasn't for the union I wouldn't even be with UPS. Stops vary from day to day scheduled p/u's dont. I have 15 p/u's a day on top of deliveries, with 90 miles logged at the end of the day. I would like to see an LTL run more efficient. Not likely. As long as "Busch" continues to promote free trade UPS will stay profitable and the union guys at home will live comfortable. Long live America!!!

G

gman

u1st,

""I don't care if you loose your job or loose hrs but this is the start of UPS buying companies to reduce ot and prepare for 2008""

What makes you think UPS wants to reduce OT????
Where is the money saving???
If it were cheaper to put less runs on the road, they would have done that looooong ago. Less is more, sir. Less vehicles, less travel time to and from building, aka dead head time with NO PRODUCTON, less benefits, less comp, less training....and on. A good roadway driver delivers maybe 25 stops a day and the cost of running and maitaining the rig he drives far exceeds that of a pkg. car that lasts 25 plus years.

Most companies I know of prefer to work their work force overtime as opposed to hiring more people. My brother in law works at a GM plant and works 16 hours a day 7 days a week. He's making a fortune and GM loves it.

I

ironylife

u1st is right about the overtime. Many centers are trying to cut down on the overtime.....for whatever reason. Our building has hired so many drivers within the last year, and many of them in last 6 months to help with volume and keeping people under 10.5 hours. If many of you dont know about this, well its suppose to be a national thing for all soon. ups wants to keep everyone under 9.5. If you feel you have too much work then call in. If center cant find you help then you can stay out until 10.5 hours. If you still have stops left then they get sheeted as missed. most people like not working 12 hours a day. this will help with reduced hours and hopefully make most drivers happy. Some of you have been so brainwashed over the years that you have to work 15 hours a day or your not doing your job..is bull. You guys are the ones who are freaking out about them cutting the overtime. Your still getting 5 or 6 hours a week if you worked in my building. <font color="0000ff">finally, whats up with all of you who think the teamsters will get kicked in 2008. You guys are absolutely crazy and need to stop. u1st, you are crazy man...ups feeder dept isnt going anywhere. ups logistics didnt take feeder jobs away from my center....yes, a few selected accounts might be picked up from ups scs, but nobody lost their jobs. so why would menlo or overnite affect anything. </font><font color="ff0000">I really like this site but there are a few of you on here who take the doomsday attitude about everything this company does, and most of the crap you say is going to happen, never does.Does anyone else feel the same way?? </font>

I

ironylife

did any of you read the dhl news article on the home page of this site. You doomsday junkies said that dhl was going to put us out of business. Well, are you guys going to read it and say what you think. The proplem with this site is that the same 20 people are the same ones who post on here day after day. many of you, tie, wkmac, rush, speed, upsdawg, upsdude seem to have a solid idea of whats going on around here, there are others of you who have no idea what the hell they are talking about. there are no new fresh ideas or people who enter into this little world, same old wining, same old bitching.

M

moreluck

irony....be careful what you wish for. You might get "monte" back spewing lava.
barf.gif

M

montecarlo11

irony,
still here, i have been on vacation for the last 3 weeks. ive been following along when i can. Im happy to see that some were asking for me.

M

montecarlo11

moreluck,
i have been quiet for a while. thought i would give irony a break. i was reading something a few days ago about an article in Fortune asking uncle Fred his thoughts on the purchase of overnite by UPS.

* Smith talked about rival UPS. UPS' $1.25 billion acquisition of less-than-truckload (LTL) freight carrier Overnite, announced today, reaffirms Smith's focus on LTLa market that FedEx first entered in 1998. LTL involves moving such items as 500-pound industrial pumps that are too big to be sent via regular ground service but too small to fill an entire truck. Although the deal will make UPS a major player in the LTL market, Smith said last week: "We are the largest transporter of less-than-truckload freight in the U.S." As for the contract logistics business that UPS has specialized in, Smith adds, "We have not found it attractive. That does not mean we won't get bigger in it, but so far, I like our strategy better than theirs."

I was thinking that irony should write to fortune and Fred S and let both no that Fedex freight is not the largest transporter of LTL in the US.
I think irony said it was Yellow/Roadway/USF??

T

teddyr

Yellow freight is the largest, they own Roadway and have just purchased USF. As for Freddy boy he is just trying to cover his ass . UPS is on the forefront of the the Logistics frontier, and this is where our future lies. There is a reason orange and purple has copied every move we have made (except for the LTL) in the last few years. If we can accept a wage freeze on the next contract the company will be in great position to continue dominance with this new acquisition.

I

ironylife

Is yellow a ltl carrier???If not then maybe monte is right. If they are then I am right. so monte, what do you think of our recent menlo, and overnite/motor purchases???care to shed some light on this. And by the way, it seems like I was about the only one who wondered where you were, most on here didnt give a <font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font><font color="ff0000">•</font>..haha

P

peacock71

JUst to spark some discussion...as long as UPS has had hundredweight service to compete with LTL, and adding in Overnite....where does that put UPS on the top 10 LTL carrier list?

Go UPS!
P71

I

isdrone

Folks,
Make no mistake about it - FedEx Freight is the industry standard - they have the best margins and do an excellent job in bundling their express, ground, and LTL (it pains me to say that).

We have some catching up to do.

S

speeddemon

Then tell me how on gods green earth can it be efficient when you have a frieght, ground, air, and express guy going to the same place, and we do it all out of one truck.

I

isdrone

I did not say I knew how - it just is......

It is one bill, in essence one company to deal with. Regardless if it takes 3 people to pick it up.

Don't get me wrong. I want to throw up everytime I see FedEx or DHL. I am even getting a bad attitude towards my mailman!

Just stating the facts.

B

blue/gray

For the Jersey boy,You are wrong about Overnite drivers wanting the union. We don't need them!!! We would have to take a pay cut from .58 per mile for teams and .53 per mile for single. Even if we went under the master freight. Why are you all so worried about use taking your jobs,our system is not set up to do what you all do!!!!And you all can not handle the type of freight that we haul!!!!I am a 22year vet. of overnite so you are not going to make me believe that the overnite drivers want any part of the I.B.T ... I am very proud to be a part of the UPS co.

B

blue/gray

You UPS drivers are upset that you think we at Overnite is going to take your jobs !!!! Believe me we are not.... In all the meetings that we have had that is the one thing they have told us over and over THAT NO JOBS ON UPS OR OVERNITE WILL BE TAKEN FROM ONE AND GIVEN TO THE OTHER!!!!Now that doe's not mean that UPS is not going to take the contract freight off of Yellow/Roadway and other L.T.L. carriers and give it to overnite. So we should all be working together to put a hurt on the FedEx.Co. and DHL. And make UPS/Overnite/MotorCargo the WORLD BEST ONE STOP TRANSPOTATION PROVIDER for all types of transportation needs. And for get this UNION crap. And work as one!!!! I personnaly don't have anything against the Union, They just are NOT getting what Retirement fund to us on what ever they have used the Cental states fund on and now it is under funded and ready to go broke.I Know that you all think that this is Overnite anti-union BS ,But it is not I have 2 cousins that are retired from ABF so don't thing we are going to give up our fund to go in to something that is domed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!