UPS Aicraft mechanics picket

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
you can retire at ups around 50 if you started there early enough, right. Does anyone know what an average pension of a uaw is?

I'm fifty and working on year 33, can't get full CS Pension until 62. I'll have to ask my brother next week what his GM pension will be, I don't think its that great.

chev

Nightcrawler
please explain red. Did anyone catch the news story about ford and gm having a "fleet" of jets to fly the suits around in? Is it just me or does anyone think that the biggest problem with the big 3 is they arent being proactive and innovative with keeping up with new technology and customer need. Why would you continue to make suv's and large trucks when for the last 5 years you continue to sell less and less. How about a hybrid truck, a medium size truck that runs on batteries and gas. They are so out of touch....you would think someone would have caught on watching toyota sell record amounts of prius cars.

They have begun to sell more hybrids, but too little too late. You are right about them not being proactive enough. I think one major problem is re-tooling these plants to build these types of vehicles. We all know we are way overdue for alternativly fueled vehicles. It just costs wads of cash to switch over from what I have heard. Then there is the fact that no one is willing to part with that much dough in this :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:e economy. Unfortunately my bro works at the Chrysler plant in Newark, DE where they make the Durango. They close in less than a month for good. He will be lucky enough to get a buy out that will keep him afloat till he can find a new job.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch
I'm fifty and working on year 33, can't get full CS Pension until 62. I'll have to ask my brother next week what his GM pension will be, I don't think its that great.
--------------------------------------------------------------

out west its much different. You must have started at 15...right.

Back east we can subtract 32 (working on 33) from 50 and get 18 (maybe 17)...:wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
please explain red. Did anyone catch the news story about ford and gm having a "fleet" of jets to fly the suits around in? Is it just me or does anyone think that the biggest problem with the big 3 is they arent being proactive and innovative with keeping up with new technology and customer need. Why would you continue to make suv's and large trucks when for the last 5 years you continue to sell less and less. How about a hybrid truck, a medium size truck that runs on batteries and gas. They are so out of touch....you would think someone would have caught on watching toyota sell record amounts of prius cars.

Cold im not an expert on the uaw and my post was off of a show i saw a while back. All of the retirees receive pension increases everytime the non union employees receive raises/bonuses and that money has to come from somewere. Imagine how are funds would look if all of the reitrees from the 70s through late 90s would get bumped up to whta todays pensioner would get compared to what was paid in while they were working. The funds would be destroyed.

I did see were the private oplane ride was $20,000 while at the same time they are asking for a buy out to stay a float. Bad managing from up top.

And another main reason they are hurting is they have not stayed with the times, the cars they are making do not compete and are not as reliable as the hondas, toyotas etc. Hybrids are on back order for months and months from these auto makers. Imo

Outside of the first Toyota/Geo plant, I don't know of the UAW representing Toyota workers. At a Toyota plant in KY, the UAW has lost every time they tried to organize. The non-union workers there make more than UAW workers because they get fat bonuses. The UAW does have a major problem with pension and benefits. People retiring in their 50s on full pension, people drawing 95% pay out of job banks without working for years, and health insurance.

I beleive the plant that makes the tundra is union, not sure of its location. When im at the union hall i have noticed more toyotas in the parking lot were the union officials park and when i questioned why we have jap crap parking there i was told that toyota has some uaw plants.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch
--------------------------------------------------------------

Back east we can subtract 32 (working on 33) from 50 and get 18 (maybe 17)...:wink2:

Hoax, your "maybe" guess is correct. I started in the Atl. Hub (you were already there!) in Oct. '75. I was a 17 year old kid that just started my Senior year in HS.

Cold,it`s not customer needs,it`s demands. The reason,mistakenly,the big 3 relied on SUV and LT sales is because they are extremely profitable,in the neighborhood of 10-12K per vehicle. Up until the last 2 years they still were the vehicles that accounted for the most sales.Look around how many behemoths being driven by soccer moms do you see. It took $4 a Gal gas to finally kill the sales to a sufficient point that the car manufacturers couldn`t shore up their cash funds by relying on them. The other mistake is not having a larger more fuel efficient line in existence that could have been ramped up to fulfill the "new" demands of the consumer. A new car from scratch takes around 5 years to go from board to build,at best. This helped the foreign manu`s even more because,do to their home market,their lines were already for the most part smaller and fuel efficient. If you look the only place they made bigger vehicles for,on a larger basis,was the U.S market. Those portions of their market are hurting also but they have the smaller cars to fall back on.

Cold im not an expert on the uaw and my post was off of a show i saw a while back. All of the retirees receive pension increases everytime the non union employees receive raises/bonuses and that money has to come from somewere. Imagine how are funds would look if all of the reitrees from the 70s through late 90s would get bumped up to whta todays pensioner would get compared to what was paid in while they were working. The funds would be destroyed.

I don`t know about what show that was but I do know that my mothers pension from G.M, 35 years at Electromotive until 89, does not go up with every raise and bonus. I also know that after 35 years her pension is about half of what we get at the same years of service.

I beleive the plant that makes the tundra is union, not sure of its location. When im at the union hall i have noticed more toyotas in the parking lot were the union officials park and when i questioned why we have jap crap parking there i was told that toyota has some uaw plants.

One of those wouldn`t be Rich C`s would it? He took some crap down here for buying foreign but a poster showing what cars are union made showed up shortly after. You would be surprised what is,foreign manufactured, and what isn`t,domestic manufactured. Turns out,at least by this list my Chevy isn`t but my wife`s German car is.