UPS Allowing Full Time Hourly Employees to Purchase Gas - Avoiding Long Lines

worldwide

UPS is allowing full time hourly employees to purchase gas for their cars at below market rates to employees in NJ. This is a huge help as gas lines in NJ are extremely long with wait times of multiple hours. Pretty nice gesture from the company that will help a lot of people during this crisis.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
How is their motive bad? Employees get gas, they get around, run their generators and get a better quality of life. And they get to work which helps UPS (in turn the employee) and restores a sense of normalcy.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If it was our center the line would be huge. Our pumps are so old and they refuse to get them fixed. It's taking me 10+ minutes to get 5 gallons of fuel before.

Nimnim

The Nim
I was thinking wow how convenient with a contract vote coming up and all.

Most employees won't even think about how UPS allowed them to buy gas from them so they could make it to work when it comes to contract negotiations. It helps the company more than the employee, it certainly helps the employee though, to sell some gas to get people to come to work.

over9five

Staff member
I think it's a great idea, but how does it work? Does a sup stand there and write down the amount of gas you take, and the amount gets deducted from your pay?
Just curious.

Brownslave688

I think it's a great idea, but how does it work? Does a sup stand there and write down the amount of gas you take, and the amount gets deducted from your pay?
Just curious.

Lets put this in the next contract. They always want to tell us how they get fuel cheaper than we can get it on route. Well let us share in the discount. Might I suggest 30 gallons a month at the discount price. Really dreaming on this I know.

over9five

Staff member
Lets put this in the next contract. They always want to tell us how they get fuel cheaper than we can get it on route. Well let us share in the discount. Might I suggest 30 gallons a month at the discount price. Really dreaming on this I know.
Second the motion!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One way to make sure you have staffing.
They always have a motive. Am I cynical? More and more every day. :dissapointed:

I don't think you are as cynical as I am (since you think the Teamsters are better than UPS for instance) but it only seems logical that UPS is doing this because it helps the company and it's employees.

The problem is not that there is a shortage of gas but that there is a shortage of electricity to power the gas pumps.

UPS always has good contingency plans and having generators at all operational facilities is a given.

This idea that that for something to be really good, it has to be done in a totally altruistic manner is silly.

What happened to self-engendered good being good for all?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS purchases futures contracts which locks in their fuel prices, whether gasoline, diesel or jet fuel, for the length of the contract.

Let's say UPS saves $.30/gallon---30 gallons would save you $9.

Brownslave688

UPS purchases futures contracts which locks in their fuel prices, whether gasoline, diesel or jet fuel, for the length of the contract.

Let's say UPS saves $.30/gallon---30 gallons would save you $9.

Listen I know ridiculous but let's be honest. The good graces it would buy them with the employees would be worth it. People would think they are getting a much better deal than they actually are.

ikoi62

Just curious.

i did it yesterday. drive up show your id,while they pump 10 gallons in you fill out a paper. building,employee id #,10 gallons and sign the paper to allow them to take the money from your check.